Which car? Impreza wanted

AndyMc

RMS Regular
Drives
C350
I've had my eye on that car. Haldex AWD, not proper full time, but regardless, still a strong contender. Strangely like the orange interior too. Just unsure it it's a 'fun' car, but have a real soft spot for them regardless
Orange interior makes it, that and the 5 cyl noise...

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
So these twin turbo Legacy's are bit of a nightmare then? Had been looking at them myself recently - had read about the hesitation between turbo 1 and turbo 2 on the crossover but assumed that was it! Most of them seem to be automatic which is annoying!

@ace275 this has been on my ebay watch list for a while - it's effectively an Impreza WRX but in a Forester body?

My main issue with them is they need remapped to suit our 97 octane super, as they need 98/99 octane minimum due to being factory mapped to run on Japanese 100 octane. You can get round it with a decent octane booster, but that's £20/tank ontop of your fuel and a bit of a patch rather than a solution.

They also seem to suffer bottom end failure too, as with the imprezas, mainly due to incorrect fuel, oil starvation cornering and not allowing then to heat properly before giving heavy throttle.

Pity about the autos too. There's a few nice ones, but I'd want them cheap enough to justify the risk. I haven't ruled them out just yet

Just can't get along with foresters however. I'm sure they're fantastic cars, and there is an obvious following, but just can't find an interest in them myself to justify what they go for

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I like those volvos too but as you say it might not be much fun, its more of a big comfy cruiser with a bit of power.
You would get a nice turbo 2000 in around that budget and they can be got to 280-300bhp easily with bolt ons
and an ecutek remap for SUL

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
There's no need for octane boosters and what not. @bludgod can map these for 97 RON (or 95 if you wish) without issue. The 2.0 litre unit is a strong lump in my experience. Incorrect fuel, lack of mechanical sympathy and poor maintenance will shorten the life of any engine, never mind a small turbocharged unit producing over 100bhp per litre.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
My main issue with them is they need remapped to suit our 97 octane super, as they need 98/99 octane minimum due to being factory mapped to run on Japanese 100 octane. You can get round it with a decent octane booster, but that's £20/tank ontop of your fuel and a bit of a patch rather than a solution.

They also seem to suffer bottom end failure too, as with the imprezas, mainly due to incorrect fuel, oil starvation cornering and not allowing then to heat properly before giving heavy throttle.

Pity about the autos too. There's a few nice ones, but I'd want them cheap enough to justify the risk. I haven't ruled them out just yet

Just can't get along with foresters however. I'm sure they're fantastic cars, and there is an obvious following, but just can't find an interest in them myself to justify what they go for

Was that not the EJ25 that suffers the failures - the Forester I linked is still the EJ20. If you were going to map it for fuel sure you could map it for more power at the same time! WIN-WIN

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I like those volvos too but as you say it might not be much fun, its more of a big comfy cruiser with a bit of power.
You would get a nice turbo 2000 in around that budget and they can be got to 280-300bhp easily with bolt ons
and an ecutek remap for SUL

Originally I was looking at JDM WRX/STi imprezas a few weeks ago before I switched to wanting a legacy, mainly as I like that the legacy is just a little bit more grown up. But I've started looking at Turbo 2000s now as a good all rounder. I presume they are the 220bhp area output?

I was looking at this one. Hardly the most exciting colour, but seems reasonably presentable and we'll priced. Realistically, I wanted a 280+ bhp model, but it's possible that less power could potentially be just as fun.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Was that not the EJ25 that suffers the failures - the Forester I linked is still the EJ20. If you were going to map it for fuel sure you could map it for more power at the same time! WIN-WIN

No, also the EJ20 it seems. I'm no Subaru expert, but I've seen so many ads for cars for sale that either are overheating, have big end issue, or that have recently had an engine rebuild or replacement. All cars are prone to issues, but these seem to have far more than normal

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yeah ive had a few turbo 2000's as well as the JDM versions. the JDM ones are better out of the box in terms of performance, brakes and handling but
if you get a version 6 Turbo 2000 they will have the 4 pot brakes and can still be tuned to much the same power as the JDM versions. My last turbo 2000
had 330bhp from bolt ons but it did have a stand alone mafless ecu.
If you put on a full exhaust, run a TD05 turbo, walbro 255 and a remap it will see 300, or keep the TD04 with quicker spool and have 270-280bhp.
a good one will also hold its money or even increase in price.
I know people scaremonger about impreza's and chocolate pistons etc but i've had 6 now and they have been the most reliable cars i've owned out of a lot of makes over the years. All they have ever needed is a new battery from maybe sitting over winter. Buy a good one maintain it and get it properly mapped with adequate fuelling and you wont have any trouble. A genuine 300bhp classic impreza will be quite lively as they weigh just a bit over 1200kgs

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
If you get a version 6 Turbo 2000 they will have the 4 pot brakes and can still be tuned to much the same power as the JDM versions.

Is there an easy way to tell if a car is a V5/V6 uk2000? Is it after a certain date etc? They might be a safer bet, if they're designed to run on our fuel from new

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yeah the 1998 are V5 so will have the facelift, and a TD04 turbo, the V6 was 1999-2000 and again had a few little upgrades, 4 pots, bumpers and a few other touches.
If you live in Belfast and want to call to mine some day I can show you around my Type RA and take you a quick spin, if its not wet! LOL
The main thing will be getting one with good history and no rust, but they will be more expensive, there are plenty for 2-3k but they will be ****.

Last edited:

Gambit

RMS Regular
v5 & v6 are the ones with the updated brakes etc, easy way to tell if v5/6 is if the coilpack sits off centre on engine

1578920456689.png

V4 are the MY98 cars with the centre coilpack which dont have the brake upgrade etc

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yeah its quite cheap that, wagons usually are a bit cheaper than saloons. Provided its not bad underneath that could be a decent buy. Have a look at the MOT history for any advisories on corrosion.
Also you can get it on a classic policy as I am literally off the phone to autoline in Coleraine as my one has just turned 20 years old and is now accepted for a classic policy at around £150 for the year on limited miles and mods declared.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Also keep an eye on this to see what it bids too, it looks a nice clean standard one. I think the green is nice in them too when its polished up. Its 22 year old though not 29:p

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Also keep an eye on this to see what it bids too, it looks a nice clean standard one. I think the green is nice in them too when its polished up. Its 22 year old though not 29:p

That's giving me bad ideas 😅

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
it would be good if it stayed at that price, it will be interesting to see what it bids up to.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Ok..... I have a shortlist

Both are Silver Estates, by chance

2000 Subaru Impreza UK £2000 (Seen a facebook ad for £1900, however)
Pros/Cons:
+Good Price
+Clean
+Original with good history
+Facelift
+Newer ECU
-Silver
-Rust above windscreen
-143600 Miles

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1997 Subaru Impreza UK £2250
+Clean
+12 Months MOT
+Reasonable Miles (106000)
+Belts done 8k miles ago, apparently
-Silver
-Think this is a version 4 with locked ECU? @Burt2000 can you help here?

***Edit, nevermind, MOT 2018 "underside of vehicle generally corroded"***, looks like its the top one

Last edited:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
If you fancied a Golf GTi, what about this:

Estate with GTi engine, not sure I could live with the interior though!

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
If you fancied a Golf GTi, what about this:

Estate with GTi engine, not sure I could live with the interior though!

I like the interior, but I dislike the DSG. Have driven a DSG Golf R, great for a daily, but nothing on a manual for weekend blasts

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yeah if you decide to go for an impreza, the one with the least rust would be best! A 97/98 car can be mapped to, a company called ESL does it.

Gambit

RMS Regular
That's not bad at all, wouldnt put me off, you could take windscreen out tidy that up enough without having to spend any money on it.

If its clean all up in round the inner rear wheel arches, top of rear turrets and rear pockets then it's a very good sign as they all rot the most up in there