Which car? Impreza wanted

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
ffs. I take it none of this was noticed when you went to buy it? You would hope the seller didn't know about any of it and wasn't selling it cheap.^o)

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
ffs. I take it none of this was noticed when you went to buy it? You would hope the seller didn't know about any of it and wasn't selling it cheap.^o)
Stupidity I checked the condition of coolant and oil, but never checked whether it was pressuring, so it likely was. He replaced it with a lower mileage saloon, so I'd say he likely did know. But I'll know for next time

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I can lift the engine out and do the work myself thankfully, but still quite a bit of work doing it. Tempted to just do it and the belts, water pump and change the clutch altogether. Clutch is a little high, but the release bearing does make a noise when engine braking, unless trying to match the revvs beforehand

Would probably be £700 in parts for everything. Actually really enjoying the car, surprised with how good they are, so tempted to do it and keep it a good while

At least that will be most of the big expenses out of the road. You can just enjoy the thing after.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
If he did know hes a **** but as you say if you do the work then that's the things out of the way and at least you can work on it yourself.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Worth while throwing an oil pump on there too while you've the engine out. If you're hand with a spanner it's not the worst engine to pull

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Seriously unlucky. Definitely the HG? One of my old Octavia vrs's was showing all the symptoms and a genuine thermostat cured it.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Seriously unlucky. Definitely the HG? One of my old Octavia vrs's was showing all the symptoms and a genuine thermostat cured it.
The slight exhaust gasses in the coolant is my big worry. It also pressurises the top radiator hose when revved. Dosen't use really any coolant however other than the small leak from the bottom of the radiator