Which diagnostics for home use

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
What's everyone use or what's the best tool to buy for home use?
We have a range of cars at home from 95-2014

What's the best budget tool that'll read abs, EML etc...

Boksic

RMS Regular
Have that but prefer a handheld one.

Only thing is, unless it's paying for itself (work), I'd use away at the tool you have until sometime it can't do what you need!
Buy shiny wheels or skyline goodies if the Ā£ is burning a hole in your pocket! šŸ‘

McFall1984

RMS Regular
OP
McFall1984
Drives
To many cars
Only thing is, unless it's paying for itself (work), I'd use away at the tool you have until sometime it can't do what you need!
Buy shiny wheels or skyline goodies if the Ā£ is burning a hole in your pocket! šŸ‘
No it's my father inlaw really
He would use it more, mechanic but old school, well in his 60s so wouldn take much work on, bit his daughters cars an his own few would throw up the odd light an currently pays someone else to look at it.

So I thought buy him one that'll read upto 2014-2015 an do as much as possible but at a budget as it'll be me paying for it

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Worth doing a search on the specific brand forums and facebook groups for suitable free or very cheap apps if you have a windows laptop or android phone.
Forscan for Ford is one example I've used. Seems to read, reset, calibrate nearly everything and it's free. I have tuneECU for my Triumph motorcycle which can even re-map the engine!
I just dabble a bit, but I guess there might be similar for some other brands??

McFall1984

RMS Regular
OP
McFall1984
Drives
To many cars
He can use an iPad, so I thought getting a tablet based diagnostic would do him

dddrrift

RMS Regular
I sold my snap on solus and replaced it with this! Does everything you will ever need and more, free updates for 12 months too, brilliant bit of kit!

McFall1984

RMS Regular
OP
McFall1984
Drives
To many cars
I sold my snap on solus and replaced it with this! Does everything you will ever need and more, free updates for 12 months too, brilliant bit of kit!

That looks the job