Who is liable

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Pretty big hit there.

A guy in work did similar a few weeks ago...and bizarrely he tried to blame the lady he drove into when it was 100% clear it was his fault.

If the road is not clear, you do not move forward, it really is as simple as that. Any indicators or signals mean nothing.

SH4U11

RMS Regular
OP
SH4U11
Drives
AudiA6
Lads

Thanks for the well wishes and replies.

Insurance has written it off but I've managed to swap the wheels off her to salvage a few quid out of them.

Just hope now what they offer is enough to pay her off. I'll hold out as advised if they don't.

Thanks again men!

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
I never trust an indicator, far too easy for someone to leave it on, change their mind or have just pulled out of another driveway/side road just before you see them and the blinker is still going in that moment and hey presto you think they're turning. As others have said, unfortunately this one is on you but having seen the pictures, as long as everyone is ok, let your insurance company deal with it, this is what we pay them and arm and a leg for.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Hope everyone involved is ok, cars can be replaced and repaired. People, not so easy.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I never trust an indicator

Same, an intention to turn is not the same as actually turning. That intention can be withdrawn at any time hence why it can't stand in court. I never pull out until the road is clear now after a few near misses, even though it seems like a pain sitting waiting at times.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Just take a look at the cars driving on the motor way or any road, for miles with the indicator sitting flashing away, and no where to turn.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Flip that's a right smash there. As long as everyone is ok that's the main thing.

Insurance co will make an offer and general advice appears to be to reject that and ask for more with evidence of similar cars for sale with similar spec and mileage.

In my own experience the first offers were more than I expected and more than what equivalent cars were advertised for, so I accepted but that's not always the case.

Fire your reg into the below and it'll give you a number:

In saying that I've just recently had a car written off by a 3rd party and the initial estimate from an independent assessor was about 30% more than above, but in line with what I'd expect for it given condition, spec, etc. Yet to get any money though so not sure what the end result will be!

Dealing with axa about 4 / 4.5 years ago they gave a decent pay out for mine. Bit gutted that they would only allow £50 for a towbar though. The main sorepoint was it literally just got a full tank of fuel about 10 mile before it was written off and either 2 or 4 brand new tyres 3 days before and I had no way of regaining them.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Dealing with axa about 4 / 4.5 years ago they gave a decent pay out for mine. Bit gutted that they would only allow £50 for a towbar though. The main sorepoint was it literally just got a full tank of fuel about 10 mile before it was written off and either 2 or 4 brand new tyres 3 days before and I had no way of regaining them.

Was it a 3rd party hit you? Unless it was CAT A or B you should have got the option of getting the car back. In saying that the first time I had a car written off I went to get it myself and it had gone from a full tank of fuel to 1/8th with no miles driven. Cheeky sods at a certain repair garage that will remain unnamed had helped themselves to it.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
The same thing happened to a good friend in Enniskillen many, many moons ago. As others have said, at least you (and hopefully others) walked away from it.

Hope the insurance valuation works out for you btw.

Cheers

Cooks

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Was it a 3rd party hit you? Unless it was CAT A or B you should have got the option of getting the car back. In saying that the first time I had a car written off I went to get it myself and it had gone from a full tank of fuel to 1/8th with no miles driven. Cheeky sods at a certain repair garage that will remain unnamed had helped themselves to it.

Just me involved. Doing about 30mph hit some black ice on a back road. Ended up over the ditch down a 15-20ft drop into the field and the front end dug in and rolled. Low speed impact and the airbags didn't even go off (worryingly) but the car was wrecked when it rolled.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
@Mel_45 - The collision system in most modern cars determines if an airbag should be deployed or not based on the characterics of the crash. I've a friend who works as a sales person for Ford who had a customer ask why their wheel airbag didn't deploy (the car was returned to the Ford dealership and they were sorted out a replacement for the customer) and questioned if the car was safe etc. He got the technicians to remove the wheel and get it to deploy (by mimicking the signal that would be sent by a front end collision) and the bag went off. Because the customer had rolled their car, the car doesn't deploy the wheel airbag as it could suffocate the driver if the car was left on its roof for example. It was very interesting to learn about how the entire collision system works.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
@Mel_45 - The collision system in most modern cars determines if an airbag should be deployed or not based on the characterics of the crash. I've a friend who works as a sales person for Ford who had a customer ask why their wheel airbag didn't deploy (the car was returned to the Ford dealership and they were sorted out a replacement for the customer) and questioned if the car was safe etc. He got the technicians to remove the wheel and get it to deploy (by mimicking the signal that would be sent by a front end collision) and the bag went off. Because the customer had rolled their car, the car doesn't deploy the wheel airbag as it could suffocate the driver if the car was left on its roof for example. It was very interesting to learn about how the entire collision system works.

It was a focus too. I just assumed after front end impacted the ground it would deploy airbags.

SH4U11

RMS Regular
OP
SH4U11
Drives
AudiA6
@Cookies Niall? Just looked at your profile.
Shaun here. I bought your little Di focus few years back.

Yes lads. Insurance deemed me responsible. However after taking @Coog advice I was prepared for a row with insurance over valuation, however I was pleasanty surprised when then rang and said the finance is clear with excesses paid and a cheque on the way in the post.

SH4U11

RMS Regular
OP
SH4U11
Drives
AudiA6
So, with insurance cleared.

New motor bought today.
20200306_132240.jpg

Would have loved a face-lift, but my budget wouldn't stretch to one :pensive: however, this is one I originally wanted to buy before the saloon. Genuine black edition, auto avant with the DIS screen.

Now I don't know whether to keep original wheels on or to put these on:
IMG-20200305-WA0026.jpeg

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
This, my instructor always told me to let the incoming traffic do what they're going to do before moving out, control what you can and don't rely on what you can't.
And if you indicated to early on your test you'd fail. Go figure

SH4U11

RMS Regular
OP
SH4U11
Drives
AudiA6
Sorry for not getting back to this thread.

The DIS is the "driver information screen"... Basicly just the dash with a fitted colour screen on the inside. Displays the nav and more options for fuel efficiency etc.

Just to update on this, the wee lad made a complaint to the cops, looking me prosecuted to aid him with a personal injury claim. So atm I'm at full liability, speaking to the lads dad he said he wasn't going down that route so I was happy enough, no points and insurance fixes the cars. So screw the we runt. If I'm getting points, I'll be going to court anyway so in my statement I made it very clear how I felt he wasn't well enough experienced on the road, having an indication on when not needed he should also be done with driving without undue care and attention.