who to insure a southern car ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

scub

Banned
as title - trying to get a price for a car registered in the south.
its only a v70 2.0 t but hughes apparently dont have it on their list.
they were talking to me like i'd 2 heads when i explained it wasn't some weird foreign model & was available here under exactly the same name.
also it,s mot,d here in belfast by the dva usuing the vin as the reg. no. but cardiff wont change the plate till it's insured in the uk
so need insurance from the vin plate which my current provider won,t do (halifax)
bit of a palava !!

Dave..

RMS Regular
as title - trying to get a price for a car registered in the south.
its only a v70 2.0 t but hughes apparently dont have it on their list.
they were talking to me like i'd 2 heads when i explained it wasn't some weird foreign model & was available here under exactly the same name.
also it,s mot,d here in belfast by the dva usuing the vin as the reg. no. but cardiff wont change the plate till it's insured in the uk
so need insurance from the vin plate which my current provider won,t do (halifax)
bit of a palava !!
I have found Hughes to be hard work and even when they pop up as the cheapest quote I avoid them.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Admiral and Flux used to allow insurance on the vin for a month to get the car registered. Dunno if they still do but don't see why not.

scub

Banned
OP
scub
yes just off the phone with Flux. ringing me back in the morning.
the eejit from Hughes was little /no help at all.!
so on a slightly different note I paid another month's insurance on my Halifax policy so as to avoid the 50 quid early cancellation cost & just transfer it to the new motor . but turns out they couldn't offer a quote so guess they'll still try to get another 50 out of me?
have to get the meldrew attitude on for that call.!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Guessing you want it insured to get it registered?
There is a bit of a loophole in that if you have an English address to register the car to, then you dont need to actually have the car insured, just send away your forms as normal. When you get the reg, then you can insure it as a normal car, and transfer it back into your name here. Done it a few times myself!

scub

Banned
OP
scub
yes Cardiff won't register it as an "import" it /tax it till it's insured.
so much for the eu simplifying such matters!

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
have you swapped it onto uk reg yet?

try Autoline, they cover irish reg classic cars down south despite being a UK insurance company.

scub

Banned
OP
scub

try Autoline, they cover irish reg classic cars down south despite being a UK insurance company.
no mate. can't do that till it's insured. Will see what Flux say in the morning.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
You will only get 28 days as a maximum insured on chassis number. If someone else has used up the 28 days, then you are goosed. Thats what my insurance company told me.
Talking to DVLA is how i found the English address loophole, and worked out well for me on a few cars, left things a lot simpler!

scub

Banned
OP
scub
hopefully won't come to it but have people in England should I need them.. cheers.

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
most companies should cover it but only to drive it to MOT center...

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
Don't see any issue then if they insure it on the chassis number until the UK reg is assigned to it....

or will some not cover it cause its an import?

scub

Banned
OP
scub
Halifax won't insure from vin no. & l Hughes had never
heard of a v70 2.0t se. (didn't even mention the fact that it's an Ocean Race special edition) as dunno of that's listed separately.
will be getting sorted by someone as I'm driving it home at lunchtime (y)
it'll be coming back off the road nearly right away as the alloys will be going for a refurb so that'll give me time to sort it all out.
lot of faffing about for something that happens quite often I presume. :rolleyes:

scub

Banned
OP
scub
Well £kkk that Flux are looking 770 quid. haha. I had a 550hp evo all mods declared insured for less. arseholes. grrr. back to drawing board!

scub

Banned
OP
scub

Autoline hadn't a clue either.... can't believe this doesn't go on on a weekly basis? surely a few on here have bought a car down south??

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
Well £kkk that Flux are looking 770 quid. haha. I had a 550hp evo all mods declared insured for less. arseholes. grrr. back to drawing board!
do you not have a few days to cancel insurance after buying it?. if so get all the paperwork done quick then cancel insurance.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Autoline hadn't a clue either.... can't believe this doesn't go on on a weekly basis? surely a few on here have bought a car down south??

It was Autoline that covered my first car from the south for me.
Try Oakland in Larne, usually quite helpful.

scub

Banned
OP
scub
do you not have a few days to cancel insurance after buying it?. if so get all the paperwork done quick then cancel insurance.
doubt that haha. got the car off a mate so I'm on his garage insurance for now.

scub

Banned
OP
scub
It was Autoline that covered my first car from the south for me.
Try Oakland in Larne, usually quite helpful.
oakland did the trick thanks. not cheap as has to pay 20% upfront but that'll come off the premium when it comes away down with a UK reg.!

Reactions: AMG
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.