will an intercooler make much difference.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rfg

RMS Regular
Airtec now do a replacement intercooler for the Mondeo its about 3 times the size of the origional but I was wondering the car has a remap and I dont drive it on but like ti have the piff but will I notice any difference or is it a waste of money. I am getting a stainless decat exhaust in the spring to go on as well.. any ideas am i wasting my money..

v-tac

Banned
Drives
mk5 astra
if it is 3 times the size of the old one then it probably will make a differance, especially if it has a remap.

the colder the air going into the combustion chamber the more power you will get (thats why there is fornt mounted intercoolers)

same thing as COLD air induction, sortof

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Unless you have monitored temperatures with the existing setup to see if there is a need for improvement...it could be a waste of money.

Its unlikely to give huge gains regardless. Just depends how much it does cost

Rfg

RMS Regular
OP
Rfg
yea its £250 delivered and about 30mins will fit it so it wont break the bank. they say the std one is just good enough to cope with the std power but I sometimes think its tuners trying to get you to spend money.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
id say that ford have developed the component to be as durable as they needed it to be. If you get it i would get the car remapped again as inlet temps will be different?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
id say that ford have developed the component to be as durable as they needed it to be. If you get it i would get the car remapped again as inlet temps will be different?

more assumpitons again ? if the std one is adequate, temperatures may not change at all. Without testing, you'll never know.

bull20

RMS Regular
Drives
163PS Focus
In my last car (a 1.5 turbo Colt) the guys that fitted bigger FMIC's were getting lowered power figures in the dyno than with the standard FMIC... even after a remap they were still down on power on standard Colts with a remap

pablo

RMS Moderator
I still believe a larger intercooler will require more power to pressurise, meaning less available for the engine. So like for like, straight swap, Id say its a bad idea. If you fit one, then you can raise the boost due to the extra cooling which is better off in the long run.

All imo, Im sure someone will disagree.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Whoever remapped it has probably checked the temps and mapped it safely. Unless you could ask him if he could get more out of it if you could get the inlet temps down with bigger intercooler i cant see it being worth while.

Plus ford designed that intercooler to work with alot hotter coniditions so over im sure the intercooler would not be at its limit anyway

bull20

RMS Regular
Drives
163PS Focus
I still believe a larger intercooler will require more power to pressurise, meaning less available for the engine. So like for like, straight swap, Id say its a bad idea. If you fit one, then you can raise the boost due to the extra cooling which is better off in the long run.

All imo, Im sure someone will disagree.

This was the exact problem the Colts had (y)

pablo

RMS Moderator
Whoever remapped it has probably checked the temps and mapped it safely.

Thats the funniest thing Ive read in ages :p

In NI derv mapping consists of firing on a map from a database, a whip round the block and a wee tweak if it needs it.

Which to be fair is usually dead on. Its not like remapping a cossie/evo/skyline etc where much more care and attention is given (and charged for).

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Thats the funniest thing Ive read in ages :p

In NI derv mapping consists of firing on a map from a database, a whip round the block and a wee tweak if it needs it.

Which to be fair is usually dead on. Its not like remapping a cossie/evo/skyline etc where much more care and attention is given (and charged for).

Oh i thought it was a proper custom remap he got. :sob: I wasnt even sure it was petrol or diesel car he car lol

Def wouldnt bother wasting money for an intercooler on a diesel

PhilM

RMS Regular
the bigger intercooler could add a touch of lag, you may find a pressure drop across the core resulting in less pressure(depends whether your reading it from a map of maf sensor) the slight drop in boost will probably be countered by the colder air resulting in the same results/power(straight swap/cooler for bigger cooler) if you also have a remap that involves extra boost and fuel, then guess what... it wont matter what is actually needed the mapper will have no problem making it look like he got you results and you needed the intercooler :grinning:

if it was me, and it was a diesel i wouldnt bother.

Phil

pablo

RMS Moderator
maybe there is the scope to remap it again and gain 10-15hp due to lower inlet temps but the ST turbo looked pretty small to me not sure it would be up to big boost.

brendy

RMS Regular
I got my intercooler on my old cupra because smaller intercoolers suffer from heat soak, larger IC's resist heat soak far better because of their size and where they are located.
It simply means you can push on for longer without noticing the power bogging down a little due to timing pulling back.
New IC vs Old

icupclose2.jpg

Results,

inlettemps.jpg

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
if you get the exhaust your looking, and a panel filter, and the intercooler, and then youd need to get it mapped again as it was mapped without that crap, you could see a gain maybe?

get a big turbo and injectors too :laughing:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Really wouldnt bother unless turning boost up and playing with ignition timing, Its a diesel, there meant to be just driven- Thats your lot. IMO

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Yes but above where you said that the guy selling them said there would be a drop in torque but a 10-15 BHp increase??? Both comments are very contradicting. Honestly - unless you're planning big changes there's no need to change your intercooler.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
more assumpitons again ? if the std one is adequate, temperatures may not change at all. Without testing, you'll never know.

thats exactly what i said??? motor companies put their components through rigorous testing before the car being released.

Johnski

RMS Regular
Brendy you had the 180bhp cupra? The mk5 gti golf is more or less the same engine I believe. Wonder would it be beneficial to get one.

Neill_S14

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan Silvia Sp
Just upgrading the intercooler core is going to give you lag id imagine with it bein bigger and taking longer to pressurise. The ECU prob will adapt standard to run fine but cant see any you getting any noticable diff in bhp without upping boost.

If your going to run higher boost and get a custom remap fair enough. Only reason imo for using a bigger intercooler is for safety when upping boost and fuel (injectors) to prevent det.

Short answer, just an intercooler- No.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I dont really drive it that hard infact it never gets driven hard just thought if it would help give a few more bhp I would go for it...

In that case if it's just to give yourself a number to quote I wouldn't bother on it

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.