Will my insurance go up much

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
Hello all, yes I have had a minor dunt less than 10mph into the back of somebody. I was trying to settle privately however this will not be possible as the person I crashed into is claiming her car will cost 900 quid to fix (this is probably gold plated screws with diamond bolts or something of this effect) and I would reckon about 200 max to fix my own. My question is will my insurance go up much in the next year? I previously had 2 years no claims and am 19driving for 2 years, im driving a 1.8 focus group 7 and my quote previous to the crash would have been about 1200 quid. Thanks for your time guys it is very much appreciated

Tg172

Drives
clio sport 172
Wouldnt be surprised if it doubled tbh mate.......sorry to hear but we all learn from it (y)

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
It may cost 900 quid to fix her car, depends on whats shes driving. I had an accident in my BMW last year and I was probably doing less than 10 mph and it cost just over £1200 for BMW to repair it.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
It doesnt take much for the price to start biulding, minor knocks can easily cost in the high hundreds to fix. But look at it like this if you insurance is going to be £2400 if you claim and it's only going to cost £1100 to fix both cars would it not be worth paying to fix it and keeping you no claims. As £1200 for indursnce next year, and £1100 to fix the car is still less than an estimated £2400 if you do claim.

pablo

RMS Moderator
probably worth paying her the 900 quid if you can. or see if you can come to some arrangement.

SQD are insurance approved repairers in saintfield and should be able to put her mind at rest re a good job, but still come in on a good price.

smyth

RMS Regular
Drives
172 cup
can you not play with the figures to try and get an idea of what your quotes will be next year before you consider fixing her car out of pocket?

rollinstone

RMS Regular
OP
rollinstone
Drives
Old man car
Would I be wise to ask her if she is going to claim against me for personal injury? I know the girl from uni and I dont think she would but if I end up paying for everything then she decides to claim then i would be pretty fecked, also would I be able to ask if I can take the car somewhere else to get another quote? I reckon I could get the damage fixed sub 500 quid as there isn't a great big pile of it and some filler and sanding might well sort the damage?

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
I have a massive dent in my car in a rear quarter panel of the 206 (size of a fist) when somebody smashed into me and run away - SQD quoted £160 to fill in in and paint the whole panel around, so really suggest them to try to fix it for her without going through insurance!

pablo

RMS Moderator
I believe technically yes, but would kind of defeat the purpose. I doubt anyone settling privately would inform their insurance also.

banzai g

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3/K7gsxr 10
Id say itll go up a good bit !!!!! I got caught using my mob , 3 points and declared them on my ins renewal , ive full no claims and totally clean up to them points.
My ins went up 50% !!!! Was paying £200 last year , now £320 for the same car.

Andy M

RMS Regular
Would I be wise to ask her if she is going to claim against me for personal injury? I know the girl from uni and I dont think she would but if I end up paying for everything then she decides to claim then i would be pretty fecked, also would I be able to ask if I can take the car somewhere else to get another quote? I reckon I could get the damage fixed sub 500 quid as there isn't a great big pile of it and some filler and sanding might well sort the damage?

Ask her if she is happy to for you to pay to get the car fixed without it going through the insurance companies. Also ask her if she is going to be putting in a claim for personal injury. If she is happy enough for it not to go through insurance and isnt seeking a PI claim, get her to put this in writing for you. Then tell her to take her car to a couple of different garages and get a quote, and them come to some form of agreement.
This will work out cheaper than putting it through your insurance and getting screwed over for the next couple of years.

rollinstone

RMS Regular
OP
rollinstone
Drives
Old man car
Yup sorted, her car is getting fixed at the min and mine is going in on monday, my insurance would have gone up to around 2600 plus having to pay my 250 excess would have brought the total cost of the accident up to 2800 through the insurance, as it stands however I will probably pay about 1200 for my insurance and 1300 to get both cars fixed so savin abit there and also my no claims will not go up. Pays to do a bit of research i guess, thanks for all your comments folks!

pablo

RMS Moderator
she happy enough for you to cover the cost then and settle between yourselves?

An expensive result, but a result nonetheless. Also consider the next few years insurance which would have been dearer also.

rollinstone

RMS Regular
OP
rollinstone
Drives
Old man car
Aye its all settled and sorted just need to sort her out with the money, a mistake I have definately learned from but one that was completely unnecessary, keep on thinking what if someone had of walked out on the road, getting distracted by a passenger will never be happening again no bloody doubt!!

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Insurance is the biggest con. What the feck is the point in paying insurance? I was in a similar situation when some clown come around the corner in our street and went into me. I wasnt even at fault and paid to fix his as i had only passed my test and he was on his da's insurance. Lucky it was an old scrapper and only cost £25 for a new headlight to fix from the breakers, but my bumper got badly scaped. Still was better than the potential cost had it went through insurance.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.