Windcreen misting up inside

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
My dads Mk7 Golf is the worst car I've had for misting up inside when it's been left outside for a few hours and it can take a good few minutes to clear with the full demist on.

I gave it a good clean today with Meguiars glass cleaner and applied a coating of Turtle rain repellent to the outside and as an experiment cleaned and applied same to the inside on the drivers side. I didn't really expect it to work but it did. After a few hours sitting out in damp conditions the passenger side is misted up and the drivers side is clear. Anyone else use rain repellent on the inside or have an alternative to reduce interior misting ?

20200123_151007.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Thereā€™s obviously water getting in to be the source of the moisture. Check door rubbers, holes in the floor, ensure drains on the scuttle panel are clear etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Keep the air con on, no recirc and ditch the carpet mats over winter also helps.

AC

RMS Regular
I have a MK7 Golf, sometimes sits for a week or 2 without turning a wheel and never had an issue with moisture on the inside of the windscreen.

Definitely a sign of moisture getting in somewhere.

Reactions: dub

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Stick a pingi moisture bag in it, does help. Get them in Asda or eBay for about a fiver.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
my evo used to be really bad for it

turns out the heater matrix was burst

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Mk7 Golf R estate did this too. Never really noticed anything wrong until I was cleaning it for the end of lease inspection and found the carpet in the passenger footwell was damp. Car was collected by Wilson's auctions the next day and I've never had the problem since šŸ¤­

pmk

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 8 AI400
Check the water drain that is in the rear boot lid. It runs from the handle downwards. It has a habit of breaking meaning the inside of the boot lid holds water.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
My Jetta leaks like a champion. Cleared the gutters of leaves and still does it. Door seals seem fine. Still drivers footwell and carpet behind the driver have puddles. I'm not anymore mechanically minded to investigate further so at my wits end.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I had a complete parcel of a mk4 golf that was swimming. I never bothered to find the leaks but the pingi sorted me Until I disposed of it for 300 quid.

Nutts

RMS Regular
OP
Nutts
Drives
Audi R8
Thanks all for the replies. I'll check the drains. He had the windscreen replaced a couple of years ago, though I vaguely remember it misting up before that.

Walder

RMS Regular
I had a similar problem many moons ago with my mg zr. From the rover fourm rub the seals in vaseline. So as the car was worth Ā£500 it recieved the gold treatment pinching my wife's tub and it done the job.

A complete short term fix but the car was a mule of car.