Window regulator MOT fail?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think you're actually wrong buddy, any time I've asked it's been a pass and that was a few different examiners.

Smurf failed, as above. Maybe unlucky or maybe rules have changed?

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Tester said i may have needed to do hand signals and wouldnt be unable to. I said to him that he had just tested all the lights and they were working perfectly. He was a real tool in fairness, reg had just packed up the day previous.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I took one of mine through Ards a few weeks ago and it was no bother. An examiner at Mallusk a few months back actually commented that it was another Laguna with a broken window. I'd say Smurf got unlucky and should have complained to the Manager.

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Tester said i may have needed to do hand signals and wouldnt be unable to. I said to him that he had just tested all the lights and they were working perfectly. He was a real tool in fairness, reg had just packed up the day previous.

Only hand signal id be doing driving away...

cropped-middle-finger-kid.jpeg

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Mine was up he only knew it didnt work when he went to press button on brake tester machine

* and this was all car failed on not a list of other stuff included. Only this !!!
I'm raging now thinking of it lol

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
I've taken my ma's car for MOT the past few years and her driver side window doesn't work, i just make sure that it's down before getting to the centre. Usually involves a drive up the M2 to Mallusk test centre with the window down! This year i had only put the window down about halfway and when the guy was reaching out to push the button at the break test he went to push the button, which did jack all, i just said sometimes it sticks and he just said, i wont bother touching it then.

Car passed.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Anyone know if this position re windows is the same?

Am taking a car to mot next week, the drivers side window is misbehaving. If it’s up, and the examiner tries to lower it, there will be all sorts of odd sounding mechanical shenanigans inside the door and it will move randomly. Same if it’s down and he tries to raise it. Something to do with the mechanism that drops the window an inch to allow the door to open.

I was thinking about either bringing it as it is, or leave it either up or down, and disconnecting the control.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
@Ghisallo as the owner of many meganes over the years finding one with a working window is few and far between so I have faced this nearly every year lol

if you go into the centre with the window down around 3/4 so a 1/4 of the window can be seen then 9/10 times the tester will not check if it goes up and down ;)

RevT

RMS Regular
@Ghisallo as the owner of many meganes over the years finding one with a working window is few and far between so I have faced this nearly every year lol

if you go into the centre with the window down around 3/4 so a 1/4 of the window can be seen then 9/10 times the tester will not check if it goes up and down ;)

Until the tester decides to put it down further to hang his elbow out and push the big button for the MOT machine.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Thankfully in this instance the MOT will take place in my local garage in Scotland. I can just leave the car for the day thus avoiding the potential embarrassment of rocking up to the tester and failing miserably to hand him paperwork through the window!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
BTW The boot lid latch won’t lock closed so for now it’s held in the closed position with duck/duct(?) tape (colour matched with the body work I must add :joy:).

I take that will be a failure item?

(Both the window and boot issue will be fixed for a re-test provided there are no other failures which are uneconomical to remedy)

Last edited:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
BTW The boot lid latch won’t lock closed so for now it’s held in the closed position with duck/duct(?) tape (colour matched with the body work I must add :joy:).

I take that will be a failure item?

(Both the window and boot issue will be fixed for a re-test provided there are no other failures which are uneconomical to remedy)
Again, doesn't need to open but must close securely, duct tape would be classed as secure - however it is acceptable for bumper repairs lol

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
My attempt at passing this MOT first time is going to be an exercise in the extreme bodge!

In preparation of a negative outcome the personalised reg is coming off today!