Window Tinting

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Rear three mate. Can't get away with much on the front (usually factory tint is MOT limit) but you can go as dark as you want on the rear.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Everything but the front o/s, n/s, and windscreen.... I think.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Just think vans. Most vans only have the front 3 windows so the rest can be as dark as you like.

MATT93

RMS Regular
Drives
335d
You can have the front two tinted!
But it has to let in so much light to be legal. I had the ones in my clio done "Tinted abit more than they should have been" But made it look really well!
If you ring JK tints I'm sure he'd explain what he explained to me :grinning:
Tints.jpg

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
As per coog, you can tint the rear three as much as you like.
There is a limit to the amount of tint you are allowed on the front two windows, generally 30% tint allowing 70% light emission,
However all cars come from the factory with a slight tint on the windows which can be 10% -20% meaning any tint you put on the front windows after that will put it over 30% tint rendering it illegal.
You can tint the front two windows and take the risk, afaik its a £30 fine and removal of the tints if you are caught but they will fail mot anyway so are hardly worth the bother.

No tint allowed at all on the windscreen and they have clamped down on sunstrips too, not sure what is allowed in that respect anymore but the general rule of thumb was if the wipers cut the sun strip its illegal.

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
There is a limit to the amount of tint you are allowed on the front two windows, generally 30% tint allowing 70% light emission,
However all cars come from the factory with a slight tint on the windows which can be 10% -20% meaning any tint you put on the front windows after that will put it over 30% tint rendering it illegal.
You can tint the front two windows and take the risk, afaik its a £30 fine and removal of the tints if you are caught but they will fail mot anyway so are hardly worth the bother.

No tint allowed at all on the windscreen and they have clamped down on sunstrips too, not sure what is allowed in that respect anymore but the general rule of thumb was if the wipers cut the sun strip its illegal.

Some mot centres don't notice as my van went through the other week with from tints.

avo5021

RMS Regular

Andy, nearly correct but slightly out.

The fines/punishment for tints is graduated depending on the AVLT (Average Light Transmission), the lowest penalty is Advice & Warning, then £30 no points, £60 + 3 points and if particularly bad instant prosecution and the vehicle would be prohibited from movement which could mean it requires taken away by recovery truck at your own expense or be driven with limitations placed on it ie daylight hours only.

Front windows CAN be tinted but only to a level which permits 75% AVLT On the front windscreen and 70% AVLT on windows forward of the B pillar. As is pointed out earlier in the thread most factory fitted glass has a built in tint which can vary between 10-22% dependant on manufacturer. When I fitted glass for Toyota (GB) there glass was standard at 22% AVLT, which leaves you very little to play with.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.