Winter Project - E36 Coupe

• Thread starter Deleted member 13907
  • Start date
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Deleted member 13907

D
Wasn't really looking for a winter project, but was told of a 1996 316i Coupe that a guy needed removed from his driveway. He was looking next to nothing for it (if I stripped/scrapped it I'd probably get my money back) so I thought to myself - why not?
Picked it up on Tuesday night. It needs a fan belt and the battery was flat, so just towed it round to my own house, with the intention of getting it down to my dads garage to get fan belt, etc. sorted at the weekend.
The car is first class mechanically from what I can tell so far - the prvious owner didn't drive it for the last couple of years, but always made sure she was MOTd, etc. so it got what it needed.
Bodywise it is pretty straight - a few scrapes and a few bubbles of rust, but nothing serious.

Just a quick pic for now...more to follow

e36_1.jpg

My plans are:
1. A good clean
2. M-Tech bumpers, lips, etc.
3. BBS LM Reps
4. Leather Interior
5. .......

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
Its been dark every night buy the time Ive got home, but should be home earlier tonight so will get a few snaps of her in her working clothes before hopefully giving her a good wash tomorrow.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I've found that when theres rust bubbles on these, its generally a sign of huge underlying rust issues, like if there's bubbles on the rear arch, the inner arch will be rotten. Can prove to be very expensive and alot of work if thats the case here and you're looking to do it properly.

Are you going to stick with the 1.6 engine?

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
Yeah looking on bimmerforum the rust can be a big problem - know a few painters/bodymen so will get them to give it a once over at somne stage. For the price I paid I can't expect it to be perfect like, but don't want to spending over the odds either.

Will be keeping the 1.6 for now, but if i come across any bargain v6 engines I could be tempted. I work in ballynahinch so may require a few trips to railway auto spares.

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
As nicky said if the arches are bubbling the inner arches will be in bad shape

check around the boot too

sometimes people damage the sills by not using the BMW jack that comes with these as the BMW jack is actually designed to insert into the side of the sill rather than underneath it

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
How would the inner arches be repaired? Would they need to be repaced? And how straightforward is this to do?

longchamps

RMS Regular
Drives
mx5 rs
repairing it properly would be expensive.cheapest way is use a wire wheel to remove as much surface rust as possible then apply kurust rust treatment then skim of filler and prime and paint.5gtt on the site is a good sprayer could sort it for you and paint a kit no problem

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
repairing it properly would be expensive.cheapest way is use a wire wheel to remove as much surface rust as possible then apply kurust rust treatment then skim of filler and prime and paint.5gtt on the site is a good sprayer could sort it for you and paint a kit no problem
Wire wheel and kurust sounds like a plan. I already have a sprayer in mind - he has done work for me recently and was 1st class.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.335290,-6.362564

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Have you got a welder/can you weld? To get rid of it properly, you would need to wire wheel any rust you can see, and then cut back to good metal and patch it in/weld in replacement panel parts from another shell and then seal everything.

The guys at Railway will keep you right. Ask for Davy and tell him Nicky sent you. He's a good lad (y)

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
I wouldn't be welding myself but know a few guys who are handy with a welder. Might just ask them to look at it and give me options/prices. One thing I saw online - someone cut out the rust and added a wide arch kit - not something I'm usually keen on but with the deep dished wheels I want it might actually suit the look.

Gave the car a wash yesterday which helped me see how bad the paintwork is so can't wait to buff it!

The interior is awful - the carpets/plastics are a light blue/grey colour. What would be the easiest cheapest way for me to remedy this? If I'm changing seats and door cards I will probably be stripping right down to the carpet - could I use a black dye?

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
A few pictures. Camera is crap, so the pictures aren't great. As you can see, I haven't touched the inside yet, but planning to strip it all out, so not much point in cleaning it really. Haven't done anything outside other than wash it.

SL380586.jpg

SL380588.jpg

SL380589.jpg

SL380591.jpg

SL380593.jpg

SL380595.jpg

SL380598.jpg

SL380599.jpg

SL380600.jpg

SL380601.jpg

SL380602.jpg

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
needs a lot of work inside and out but for a project car it's not bad

interior leather conversion would make such a difference

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
needs a lot of work inside and out but for a project car it's not bad

interior leather conversion would make such a difference
Yeah your not wrong. Hopefully picking up the leather interior conversion next week - it inlcudes carpets, dash, door cards, etc. but not seats - he has the seats, but they are vaders and I cant quite stretch taht far right now. He also has a black headcloth, with pillars, etc, so may go for that as well.
Possible picking up am m3 front bumper, complete with fogs, etc, this week. If I could get a rear soon then I could start paying some attention to the outside - thought I would get the bumpers and then deal with rust so that can all be blown in at the same time, but the way its looking the whole outside may need sprayed. Anyone know how that would work pricewise? Basically I can get bothy bumpers blown in for a little over £100. I enquired about the bonnet on another car, and it was going to be alot more, as it is obviously harder to tie in with existing paint. If I was to get the whole outside sprayed, there would be no real need to tie in - therefore maiking it easier - am I right? I know obviously the price of paint is dear and it will need more for the whole car, but am I way off the mark here?

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
SQ Design or TBR should be able give you a full respray quote lad (y)

It would be better to get the whole body resprayed as you'll end up with slight differences in colour and blow-in lines all over the car - it doesn't bother most punters but when the car is hit with certain light it may bug you bigtime if you're fussy

I think Vettekid on here might also be able to help you out - worth a PM

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
Productive day today. Thanks to j 328 and mark87 managed to pick up a black interior (all I need now are seats and black headcloth) 18-button obc, m-tech door mouldings and an m3 front bumper with fogs, ducts, etc. Also possibly sourced a set of m3 motorsport alloys.

Being an m3 bumper it is carbon black as opposed to scharz black like the rest of the car. Now have to decide wether to spray the whole car carbon black, or spray the bumper Schwarz. As a full respray is probably on the cards it will probably be all carbon - or maybe a different shade if black - any suggestions?

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
carbon black is hard to beat IMO lad - I would love an E60 in carbon black

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
Was never a big fan of carbon before cos it always looked a bit navy to me but in saying that the blue fleck does look class!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.