Winter Tyres.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
I'm finding mine slippy as hell getting for the past week or so.

Is it time to get back on summer tyres already?

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
A bit hasty in making the change just yet, imo. Anything from +7 degrees and under and they recommend winter tyres do they not?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
still cold out, 4 degree today we frost warning was on in the car most the afternoon in antrim. roads are greasy too. need a good wash to clean them up

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
See load's on them yet... Ild say slippy roads are due to more tractors on the roads spreading slurry lol.. The roads in the town here are super slippy aswell..

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
OP
Sgt_Major
Drives
E81 123d
It's around 6-7 degrees most days now, just thinking is this the reason they are so slippy getting?

Traction light is hardly ever off ffs!

Marc

RMS Moderator
Got mine off over the weeknd, finding grip challenging on roundabouts the last week or so. Back to the norml tyres and csr is instantly better :grinning:

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
It's shoite on the roads dude, I'm on intermediate snow tyre and they are awesome on the I30.

Have my dads I40 at the minute and its like driving on ice, TC light on loads

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I don't get the whole winter tyres thing. Maybe it's because nearly all of my driving is urban or motorway but in the last 2 years there has maybe been 5 days when the roads were bad? We have more sunny days than that ffs! Totally different if you live at the bottom of an ungritted lane, granted.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I don't get the whole winter tyres thing. Maybe it's because nearly all of my driving is urban or motorway but in the last 2 years there has maybe been 5 days when the roads were bad? We have more sunny days than that ffs! Totally different if you live at the bottom of an ungritted lane, granted.
they are unreal at shifting water also

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Yeah, still on them and will be until probably Easter. It was -1 here last night, so I don't see why you would remove them yet...

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
I've went through the worst winters in the xantia with cheap ass all year round tyres, never once felt the need for "winter" or "summer" tyres! waste of time.

Never owned a mighty xantia so I can't comment but the continental winter tyres I fitted to the I30 this year were fantastic even just on frosty mornings there was a noticeable and very clear improvement.

Yes you can get about just fine on summer tyres but the winter tyres grip better and stop better at lower temperatures and that's a proven fact

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
It's amusing to see those justifying their decision to keep summer/cheap tyres (just because they have gotten through this winter without any issues) and almost making out that those who take care to have more traction during the most dangerous time of the year for driving are stupid or wasteful. :confounded:

big cyril

RMS Regular
Still on winter tyres here, started thinking about changing them over soon tho'.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
It's amusing to see those justifying their decision to keep summer/cheap tyres (just because they have gotten through this winter without any issues) and almost making out that those who take care to have more traction during the most dangerous time of the year for driving are stupid or wasteful. :confounded:
I'm not suggesting anyone is stupid or wasteful but I wonder how much of it all is marketing? Fair enough if you live in Scandinavia or even in the sticks over here, but for nipping around town or down the motorway I haven't yet felt the need since they became a 'big thing' a few years back. With a bit or forward planning and driving to the conditions maybe I don't need all this extra grip in my daily hack? Again perhaps it would be a different prospect if it was rear wheel drive.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
I'm not suggesting anyone is stupid or wasteful but I wonder how much of it all is marketing? Fair enough if you live in Scandinavia or even in the sticks over here, but for nipping around town or down the motorway I haven't yet felt the need since they became a 'big thing' a few years back. With a bit or forward planning and driving to the conditions maybe I don't need all this extra grip in my daily hack? Again perhaps it would be a different prospect if it was rear wheel drive.
Buying a particular aftershave thinking it's going to help you attract a more beautiful woman is being conned by marketing.

Buying a softer compound tyre with sipes in the tread blocks in order to get more grip in the cold, is not being conned, it's being prepared.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Lol ok if you say so. 10 winters driving and counting, I'm still to get stuck 3 of them in a mid engined rwd car, one winter spent commuting in it over the glenshane (but that was properly hairy). I'm putting a big scud on myself here and no doubt will get snowed in this July but I can't help thinking they are OTT for 90% of folks over here, I.E those driving fwd cars in gritted areas. I'll not try and put you off them, your money, your choice.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Lol ok if you say so. 10 winters driving and counting, I'm still to get stuck 3 of them in a mid engined rwd car, one winter spent commuting in it over the glenshane (but that was properly hairy). I'm putting a big scud on myself here and no doubt will get snowed in this July but I can't help thinking they are OTT for 90% of folks over here, I.E those driving fwd cars in gritted areas. I'll not try and put you off them, your money, your choice.

What's this stuff called Grit you mention ?

Can you call ballymena borough and inform them of this magical dust lol

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
If you move down to somewhere slightly civilised (if such a place can exist in this country) we get loads of it. Up in Hicksville you guys are lucky to get broadband never mind road salt!

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Has the snow cleared away up your way yet saxo_man

Well we got the driveway cleared

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362432502.596860.jpg

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX

I've never been in an accident either, but I've had a few hairy moments and struggled to get up my lane a couple of years ago. If I commuted every day I'd definitely have snow tires on because they make such a difference. Since that's not the case, I make do with all seasons which have worked a treat this winter.