Winter Tyres.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Dammit

My Mazda can’t take any less than 17’s with the front callipers.

Just going to get Tyres for the 18s

Got some 18 inch winter tyres from @RubberLover today there. Good deal and great service too.

Wee sneaky photo or two, car doesn't look right back on the 18s though.

IMG_20181119_084129.jpg

And getting the alignment checked on their new Hunter machine...

IMG_20181119_093601.jpg

Great service all around and I will be back when I need new tyres again.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I have a set of winter allows from an F21 1 series which uses M14 bolts. I want to fit them to my E46 but it uses M12 bolts. Can I get M12's with a wider seat or is this just a no no?

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Winter tyres....... talk to me

Did I read somewhere that winter tyres need changed around 3mm tread depth or have I made that up?

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36

Did I read somewhere that winter tyres need changed around 3mm tread depth or have I made that up?

The sipes that help with grip on snow tend to wear out about 4mm, so you lose some performance on snow. Otherwise they're fine.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo

I believe that's the case, they don't NEED to be changed from a legal point of view but they lose a lot of their performance.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

Legally fine to the standard 1.6mm, but once at 4mm or below their performance in winter conditions is greatly reduced.

Obviously deep the threads the better anyway in water and slush

Last edited:

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Legally fine to the standard 1.5mm, but once at 4mm or below their performance in winter conditions is greatly reduced.

Obviously deep the threads the better anyway in water and slush

Legal minium is 1.6mm (across the central 3/4 of the tyre) .

RevT

RMS Regular
Four Kumho Wintercraft bought on Blackcircles discount - £65 each. Massive price gap between online and retailers, wasn’t going to end up bothering with winters until I seen the Blackcircles price.

963154BB-0FC4-4483-ABAE-A9AA13F9F1BC.jpeg

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Put cooper weathermaster WSC on the wife's XC90 - tread on them is massive, they're almost as deep as mud tyres.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
See Kerr’s had some fantastic prices on I think Facebook today there .some winter tyres also or at least all season type

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@RubberLover do you have the good alignment system there did Someone say .need it done please .

They have a brand new Hunter alignment system in Bangor. Had the Golf done when I was in getting the tyres sorted on Monday there. If you look at my photos I posted you can just make it out in the 2nd pic.