Winter Tyres.

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Just picked up four Michelin Alpin for my B5 Passat today, 3 of them have 6mm tread and the other 5.5mm. Got them locally second hand for £40 for the four. Score!

Attachments

• 31C854A8-DFE0-45E5-973A-5E8809187313.jpeg
    31C854A8-DFE0-45E5-973A-5E8809187313.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 73

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Picked up a set of spotless 18 inch 6 series wheels with nearly new Dunlop SP Winter Sports all round yesterday. Don't see the need in putting them on just yet but good to have them ready for when they are needed!

IMG_2238.jpg

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Picked up a set of spotless 18 inch 6 series wheels with nearly new Dunlop SP Winter Sports all round yesterday. Don't see the need in putting them on just yet but good to have them ready for when they are needed!

View attachment 216359

I didn't see the point but got them fitted anyway. Didn't realise the difference they'd make even in just cold damp weather. Get them on! I severely doubt that if you woke up one morning and it had snowed you'd change them there and then. I know I wouldn't have hence why they're on now.

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
With temperatures as mild as 15 degrees in the last week I don’t think there is much call for them yet. I’ll keep and eye on the forecast for now (which is giving 13 degrees for Wednesday at present)

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Was 4°c at 10pm Saturday and roads gritted, proper greasy roads. Rather slippy on the summer tyres

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
No-one gets it until they fit decent winter tyres - then they're converted. Similar sort of story to someone flying about on wing wongs and not knowing any better. They wonder why everyone wastes their hard earned on Goodyears when the things at 1/3 the price are 'just as good'. They're not, but unless you've bought and fitted a brand new set you'll never know.

This will be my second year running over winter on summer tyres. No real excuse for it other than I wasn't fully committed to keeping the car last year and it's the same story this year.

genman

G
just as a reminder to all..... dont let anyone tail gate you if your running winters. . once the crap is on the roads others cant stop.... got a wee love tap this morning from a young fella. .. didnt even try to brake hard myself but he just slid into me.. . no damage done luckily but his car had budget tyres and the roads were yucky at 7am

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
new to site boys were best place for winter tyres for this bmw of mine currently on 19 inch eagles thanks for any suggestions

Martyn

RMS Regular
Been running my first ever set of winters (Pirelli sottozero) for 2 weeks now.

The difference is incredible compared to running my summer Pirelli p zeros durning the winter.

The winters are like being stuck to the wet and greasy roads with superglue.

I also don’t get the nasty wheel “thump” when the car is on full lock. This was the norm when running the summer tyres in cold conditions..

Yep I’m impressed.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
new to site boys were best place for winter tyres for this bmw of mine currently on 19 inch eagles thanks for any suggestions

Where abouts in the country are you? Ivan Kerr Tyres (Bangor and Carrickfergus) run by @RubberLover on here sorted me a great price on a set of winters. I'd recommended them without hesitation

genman

G
ive 2 part worn 255/35/19. free to a good home if any use

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Ordering a set for the Renegade in the next few days. Thinking of going for Fulda Kristal Control HP2 or else Falken Eurowinter HS01.

Reviews on both look good, they’re well rated as far as fuel economy and noise goes and they seem to score highly from what I can see online.

Anyone used either of the above?

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
Took back roads this morning which were white and slippy and noticed the car was more stable. Was able to overtake a few muppets doing 20mph on straight roads.

So far I’m impressed!!

genman

G
Took back roads this morning which were white and slippy and noticed the car was more stable. Was able to overtake a few muppets doing 20mph on straight roads.

So far I’m impressed!!
just dont get carried away....winters arent a solution for black ice.. no road tyres grips ice

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I need some advice re. Wheel & tyre combo compatibility, am quite useless at these things...

I have a 2004 A4 B6 Cabriolet which has the standard set up of 7.5Jx17H2 ET45 wheels fitted with 235/45/R17 tyres

I have a chance to get some 2014 A4 Avant wheels complete with winter tyres, but they are 7Jx17H2 ET46 with 225/50/R17 tyres.

Yous reckon they’d work OK with my car?