Winter Tyres.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I need some advice re. Wheel & tyre combo compatibility, am quite useless at these things...

I have a 2004 A4 B6 Cabriolet which has the standard set up of 7.5Jx17H2 ET45 wheels fitted with 235/45/R17 tyres

I have a chance to get some 2014 A4 Avant wheels complete with winter tyres, but they are 7Jx17H2 ET46 with 225/50/R17 tyres.

Yous reckon they’d work OK with my car?

So the above ET46 wheels with 225/50/R17 tyres fell through...

But have now seen some 7Jx17H2 ET39 wheels with 225/50/R17 winter tyres.

Would these be a suitable winter replacement for my current summer 7.5Jx17H2 ET45 wheels with 235/45/R17 tyres?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Perfect!

BACEEAAD-D9A6-4FB1-B585-EE003E78665C.png

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Hmmm, the chap selling the wheels (a VW dealer) recommends that I don’t take them as the tyre size will give a difference of +2.1%/+14mm in diameter which is just under the recommended max difference.

Dilemma.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Hmmm, the chap selling the wheels (a VW dealer) recommends that I don’t take them as the tyre size will give a difference of +2.1%/+14mm in diameter which is just under the recommended max difference.

Dilemma.
It will be fine, the difference is on all 4 wheels, it’s only 7mm a difference in reality. Also little extra rubber in winter is good

genman

G
as long as all 4 wheels match i doubt it truely a problem....however if its under warranty they could be picky

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
3ECC3FFB-8E96-49B5-A87F-71F85AD1ABB1.jpeg

Brand new VW 17” Avus alloys with Dunlop Winter Sport 4D tyres. Essentially got the alloys for free.

Any recommendations on what wheel sealant I should use? Was thinking Gaeyon or Gtechniq, any thoughts?

richie_mck

RMS Regular
I picked these up over the last few days.

Pirelli sottozero tyres (6.5mm tread depth) along with a genuine set of 403m alloys for a grand sum of £525.

The alloys will need refurbed but still a bargain and it’ll keep the wife and cubs safe. I’ve never had winter tyres so looking forward to seeing what a difference they make.

44A1D022-0657-4170-B7B9-35CEF243A62F.jpeg

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
@RubberLover do you know if you can get x2 255/40/17 winter tyres? Preferably Pirelli or Michelin. I tried Wells in Bangor but they told me I would have to buy them online and they would fit them. Apparently the tyre size isn’t common and therefore hard to get.
I don’t mind ordering them online but I would prefer to have them fitted Thursday morning and not have to wait till next week.

RubberLover

RMS Regular
@Chris tii can only get Hankook W320 Icept evo2- excellent reviews but would be until we’ll into the new year, February even. Sorry I can’t help, and we’re closed all next week in Bangor too.

Thanks for the mention though!

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
@Chris tii can only get Hankook W320 Icept evo2- excellent reviews but would be until we’ll into the new year, February even. Sorry I can’t help, and we’re closed all next week in Bangor too.

Thanks for the mention though!

No worries. Thanks for checking for me.

111gsi

RMS Regular
Glad to try out the winter tyres in the snow today. Absolutely delighted with Avon WT7 snow tyres on the Jazz - driving on fresh and packed snow, you'd hardly know you were on ice. Night and day compared with summer Hankooks on the Focus over the same roads. The Focus was all ESP and ABS - I couldn't get the Jazz to skid if I tried (albeit I wasn't trying too hard!). Found it hard to get winter tyres in the right size locally so ordered the Avons via Blackcircles for £64 a corner. Definitely money well spent.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
@RubberLover would you be able to do wheel alignment incarrick on Saturday afternoon .4wd car If that makes any difference or not.i totally understand if it would take up to much time on a bay during your busiest period .i can try and work it for another time if so.