Wiring a reverse light with a switch override?

Ollie

RMS Regular
Looking for some help. I want to wire up some lights for reversing the van on these dark evenings.

I want them to come on with my reverse lights but I also want to have a switch to keep them on as a work light. Is it as simple as wiring them in to my reverse lights then putting 12v on a switch to turn on my reverse lights on when not in gear?

Could this cause problems sending power back up my reverse light circuit? Thanks!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If it's a basic old van, then there shouldnt be an issue firing 12v at them for an override. ( suitable wiring, fuses etc etc etc )

But if they're work lights...why not just keep them separate anyway ? and you can switch them on manually if you need to reverse too ?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
You could use a double pole switch, the kind with 3 connections on it, same idea as a interior dome light for on/off/door open.

(I think this would work, but I'm not a professional.)

WIN_20191111_21_34_09_Pro.jpg

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
If it's a basic old van, then there shouldnt be an issue firing 12v at them for an override. ( suitable wiring, fuses etc etc etc )

But if they're work lights...why not just keep them separate anyway ? and you can switch them on manually if you need to reverse too ?

Its actually a lorry but I just said van. Someone told be to power them off a relay with a diode on the trigger wire from the reverse lights. Should keep everything separate.

coling2005

RMS Regular
Drives
Altea, ATR, CRX
Its actually a lorry but I just said van. Someone told be to power them off a relay with a diode on the trigger wire from the reverse lights. Should keep everything separate.
I wired a reversing camera using similar, reverse light to diode to relay and also positive wire from a dash switch to diode to same relay.
Diodes prevent the electricity flowing back when either of the 2 activators are live, ie dash switch or reverse light.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
Can it be put in the wrong way around or does it matter.
Thankyou for the link

It's like a non return valve for electric. If it's in the wrong way you'll know, just flip it round.

I rushed my lights on Saturday and just wired them to a switch for now. I'll wire them to the reverse lights when I get a chance. (or probably never)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Can it be put in the wrong way around or does it matter.
Thankyou for the link
Yes, it’s effectively a 1 way valve for an air or liquid system, so it can be installed wrong. It should be marked which direction to install it though.

j44nty

RMS Regular
A diode is pennies.
Have a read at the basics here: https://www.the12volt.com/ohm/basics.asp
This is some good education I’m getting here.
ok ordered these
FC918CC8-7E3F-4327-9BF9-50E908E26D6A.jpeg

My reverse bulb live goes to the 3 way switch before the relay I assume the anode should be connected to the bulb side so no power can flow back through the switch to the bulb? Correct.

I have another relay that is a negative trigger we discussed before working well but it comes from the negative trigger on the high beam should it also receive a diode and should this diode be in different orientation. It’s nice interrogating others for once on their chosen subject 😂

cheers

275409E3-9B2D-420B-AF22-6C1DA43B6BD7.jpeg

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
This is some good education I’m getting here.
ok ordered these
View attachment 256920
My reverse bulb live goes to the 3 way switch before the relay I assume the anode should be connected to the bulb side so no power can flow back through the switch to the bulb? Correct.

I have another relay that is a negative trigger we discussed before working well but it comes from the negative trigger on the high beam should it also receive a diode and should this diode be in different orientation. It’s nice interrogating others for once on their chosen subject 😂

cheers

View attachment 256921
Oh man....... I posted that link so you wouldn't have to ask me! 🤐 I'm not sure that you need a diode for your installation, but there should be no problem if you slap a few in. Keep the silver hoop towards the consumer and you'll be fine, making sure that a positive doesn't sneak path to trigger another circuit in the car......

coling2005

RMS Regular
Drives
Altea, ATR, CRX
Main reason i used diodes for my reverse camera installation was because I also had it switched from dash, therefore without diodes, turning the dash switch on would actually have supplied a Positive feed to the reversing lights and vice versa.