wiring LED's

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
got 3 LED's and a push to break switch from maplins this morning. soldered it all up in series there with a 9v, but it doesnt seem to be working. any ideas?

brendy

RMS Regular
you need resistors to sort it, i bought a load of leds and resistors last year for my dash but never got round to it, you need to solder the resistors daisy chained until you get the brightness you want
do a serch on wiring leds on the www i found a couple of decent sites last year..

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
probaby have the led's soldered in the wrong way, there is a posative and negative side on themthey or 1 of them is probably back to front causing them to not light up the rest of the circuit eiher, depending in what sort of series they are wired, un solder them and wire themdirect to a 9v battery and see which end is the posative, think there is a we flat spot on the leg normally

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
You need a 470 ohm resistor if you are wiring them in series!! Also...they have a negative and positive end (long leg = postive). Are they normal LED's or high power ones? A LED only needs 0.7V to operate, any more and they will fry...never to work again!!

pm me if you need any more help! ;)

Mr 106

RMS Regular
andy_gdon said:
You need a 470 ohm resistor if you are wiring them in series!! Also...they have a negative and positive end (long leg = postive). Are they normal LED's or high power ones? A LED only needs 0.7V to operate, any more and they will fry...never to work again!!

pm me if you need any more help! ;)
Umm surely it depends on what the datasheet of the LED says..

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
andy_gdon said:
Also...they have a negative and positive end (long leg = postive)

give me some credit, im not that stupid!!

anyway, got i sorted out just after i posted. changed i to parallel first, but even when the switch was on (push to break), the LED's were hot to touch- never good. so i dismantled an old technology project + stole a resistor from it.

the only thing is, you can barely see the bloody things lit up, only when pitch black, with no outside lights on :?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
from memory, the one in has brown, orange + red strips on it

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
they shouldnt be dim if you are running them in parallel. that resistor seems very large! What project were you runnin it in? ill have to dig out the resistor colour code chart.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
its a 1300ohm resistor....much too large. If you cant get sorted text me tonight. I have a load of different sized resistors lying around in my house. Also have LED holders if you need them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.