Wobbly Wheels

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
I have 20mm Spacers fitted to the back of the SL. They are well made, fit perfectly and there isn't a spigot ring in sight.

I have the proper bolts, etc, etc.

But no matter how often I tighten them, they still keep loosening. I have done everything I can and torqued them to the correct amount and after about 4 miles I get the wobble and when I check them they have loosened a considerable amount. Now they didn't do this with the 10mm spacers fitted and the 20mm are the same make and I have the correct length of bolts aswell.

Any ideas?

D.Stanford

RMS Member
Drives
Rs200 R26
Does the spacer wobble about on the hub when its not bolted. Or is there even the smallest of gaps between the spacer and the hub. Sounds like something is moving

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
My Astra done this with one of the back wheels maybe 15 years back. I ended up replacing the hub to cure it. Just kept torquing off again somehow

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There are only two variables. The bolts and the spacers assuming everything else is exactly the same. Can you use the bolts without the spacers and vice versa to try to eliminate one of the variables?

pablo

RMS Moderator
20mm is quite think. Are they bolt on ones where you both the spacer to the hub and then the wheel bolts to the spacer?

althebass

RMS Regular
Drives
Model A Ford
Is there a decent chamfer on the inside of the spacer?
IE could it be getting pulled into the radius on the hub centre and not flat onto the hub?

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
OP
Mr.Mint
Drives
Many Things.
Does the spacer wobble about on the hub when its not bolted. Or is there even the smallest of gaps between the spacer and the hub. Sounds like something is moving

No, I wouldn't fir them if they did.
Are the spacers hubcentric? Have a lip on them to centre to the wheel?

Yes, they have the lip.

My Astra done this with one of the back wheels maybe 15 years back. I ended up replacing the hub to cure it. Just kept torquing off again somehow

That could be the problem.
There are only two variables. The bolts and the spacers assuming everything else is exactly the same. Can you use the bolts without the spacers and vice versa to try to eliminate one of the variables?

No, the bolts are too long and will catch the shoes in the hub.

20mm is quite think. Are they bolt on ones where you both the spacer to the hub and then the wheel bolts to the spacer?

No, Longer Bolts only.

A weight hasn't fallen off a wheel?

No.

Is there a decent chamfer on the inside of the spacer?
IE could it be getting pulled into the radius on the hub centre and not flat onto the hub?

They fit the original hub to perfection.

I have ordered a set of hubcentric and if it does the same with them I will investigate a possible issue with the hub.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
hubcentric is definitely worth a try IMO. The hub should carry the weight, the bolts only hold the wheel to it.

In the case of my Astra, the bolts must have moved around enough to wear the threads in the hub, though I don't believe I had spacers, but it was also a second hand modified car so I've no idea if a previous owner had done.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
you sure the pitch on the bolt seat is correct to suit the wheel? I assume your not using the original bolts, but the originals do have a different pitch and shape to most other things i have come across

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I had 15mm spacers that used longer bolts and they always loosened off. I switched to 20mm that bolted to the hubs and then the wheels were bolted to them with the standard wheel bolts. The only explanation I could see was that the longer bolts were being exercised a very small amount over the length through the spacer and wheel to the hub. I was afraid of the bolts shearing off and doing a Kenny Rodgers. (You picked a fine time to leave, loose wheel...)

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
OP
Mr.Mint
Drives
Many Things.
Any copper grease or anything on the bolts?

Some, but they are far from smothered.

you sure the pitch on the bolt seat is correct to suit the wheel? I assume your not using the original bolts, but the originals do have a different pitch and shape to most other things i have come across

They are, I double checked that before I even fitted the wheels.

I had 15mm spacers that used longer bolts and they always loosened off. I switched to 20mm that bolted to the hubs and then the wheels were bolted to them with the standard wheel bolts. The only explanation I could see was that the longer bolts were being exercised a very small amount over the length through the spacer and wheel to the hub. I was afraid of the bolts shearing off and doing a Kenny Rodgers. (You picked a fine time to leave, loose wheel...)

This is what I normally fit and never had any bother with them. It's my 1st time using that depth of a spacer with just a longer bolt and this has put me off using them again.

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
For years I’ve used a touch of copper slip on wheel bolts and it has always been fine.

But had spacers on a Clio I had and used copper slip and they kept loosening. So maybe it was something to do with the spacers, has all the other cars never had spacers.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
No help to OP but

that video made me laugh when the tyre came back for another dig after the car flipped running over it.
Aye proper 'Feck ye!' Boot in the hole lol