work software

ph11mcf

RMS Regular
Drives
SQ7/ftype v8
I,m looking some advice for new work software--(sage ,quickbooks ,freeagent ,xero)
I really need to update work software to make everything digital
I have an old system but its not great
There is so many ,i would like to hear some rms reviews ,its small engineering company ,so quotation ,create job ,invoice job ,vat online
Not sure about doing wages myself, i source it out at the minute through accountant but i might change from them also

brendy

RMS Regular
If you use BOMs it gets a little more expensive, if not Sage Accounts 50 would do the job. Quickbooks etc are all predominantly online/cloud tpe apps now which some like some dislike due to the lack of configurability.

ph11mcf

RMS Regular
OP
ph11mcf
Drives
SQ7/ftype v8
If you use BOMs it gets a little more expensive, if not Sage Accounts 50 would do the job. Quickbooks etc are all predominantly online/cloud tpe apps now which some like some dislike due to the lack of configurability.
Yeah at the minute i manually write worksheets out with all materials then price them when finished,i update prices on excel but not a fan of excel

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I used Sage for a good few years, then realised I was wasting £150 a month on a lot of stuff I didn't use.

And I was making my accountants life much easier but funny, they weren't charging less. (It was them that recommended Sage 50, also funny.........)

The main reason I hung on to Sage was because of needing some form of software to submit quarterly VAT returns. But I just use a free plugin in Excel now.

I think if you are doing BOM, then Sage 200 is probably the most mainstream solution that I am aware off. The company I work for uses it and even they weren't using a lot of the features correctly until more recently.

I would say whatever you go for, its worthwhile getting someone in that knows the software in and out to see how and where it should be applied in your business to help you and pay for itself.

neil-c

RMS Regular
@roverspeed what free plug in do you use for your VAT return? I use Xero for my main business which I think is great but I now have a second business and I don't really want to be spending £30/month for software when it'll only have half a dozen transactions a month.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
@roverspeed what free plug in do you use for your VAT return? I use Xero for my main business which I think is great but I now have a second business and I don't really want to be spending £30/month for software when it'll only have half a dozen transactions a month.
hiya Neil

It is this that I have used - MTD Filer

Though easiest way to get it is open the Microsoft store and search for MTD Excel Plugin.

Have only used it the last 2 VAT returns, but worked perfectly.

You will need your Government Gateway code, Password and the mobile or email your Government Gateway id sends a one time code to. This allows you to authorise the plugin to file for you. If you have all those things, literally takes a few minutes.

PeteL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
I have been using VitalTax for submitting VAT returns coming up to 2 years now. Never had any issues. Costs £1 per month.

PeteL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Yeah, initially it was free for a long time, but at some stage last year that changed and now I have to pay for it.