Working In The Motor Trade-good For Insurance?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mmc01

RMS Regular
my insurance renewal is up at the start of november,
currently paying £1500 odd under my mums name on a mk1 leon tdi.

thing is, i now work in the motor trade. meaning im covered to drive anything through work.. but obviously this doesnt cover my personal use.

do insurance companies appreciate this or should i keep my mouth shut and stick with being 'a part time student' when getting my renewal?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
You need to inform them legally, if not, should something happen, you make not be covered

Generally when insurance company's find out your in the motor trade, it gives them an excuse to use an even bigger shaft! Some companys have also started removing the 3rd part extention for member in the motor trade

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
thought that, have a day off next week so going to call into a few places.. in theory it should make it go down. as im driving on someone elses policy day in, day out..
but nothing is that simple with insurance i suppose.

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
Yeah they don't give TPE. My insurance messed up and put it on my cert last year. When I renewed they removed it without telling me. I never really use it, but if I'm driving someone else's car I always take my licence and ins with me. It was only when I needed to drive a friends car down south that I read my policy to see if the TPE would cover me and realised it was no longer there. Lucky I caught on when I did and didn't get caught driving on the few occasions I've borrowed a car this year.
My own fault for not reading my renewal docs I suppose. But in reality who does

RoniN

RMS Regular
thought that, have a day off next week so going to call into a few places.. in theory it should make it go down. as im driving on someone elses policy day in, day out..
but nothing is that simple with insurance i suppose.

The insurance company will put your insurance up, they look at it that you now working in the motor trade will be on the road more and do more miles and therefore are a great risk, law of averages the more time driving the more chance you will have or be involved in an accident.

Cheers

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
What age are you? Cause if you're under 25 you've extremely little hope of getting a trade policy regardless...

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
I'm 18 and already on a trade policy.
I'm on about personal insurance.

I'll probably stick with being a 'student' if its going to increase it.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Sorry sorry sorry, thought i read it as you were wanting trade insurance as well :oops:

Have you been on a trade policy over a year? If not id be surprised, but some companies might take into consideration if you can get them proof. Wouldnt expect it to be world changing however :broken_heart:

philipweson

Drives
Mazda
It sounds as if your on someones motor trade policy and your a named driver, in which case you probably only have trade use, only on your employers insurance, you will only be able to drive your employers vehicles in the use of his work, or a customers vehicle in the motor trade work.

if you are driving your private car and your mum is the policy holder then the named driver would not get the third party extension in any event, it is only ever the policy holder who may have the third party extension, some policies do not have the third party extension.

If the car is in your name and the policy is in your mums name then the insurance may look to refuse to pay out on any claim.
If the car is in your mums name and the policy is in your mums name and your the main driver then you need to be on the insurance as the main driver other wise your mum would be fronting the policy and can be classed as fraudulent.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
lol holy thread revival, well spotted andy, I was wondering how he ever got named on trade insurance at 18, no companies i know off will look at under 23's

philipweson

Drives
Mazda
there are insurers that will insure an 18 year old on his own policy, it's expensive, so much so you wouldn't take the insurance out, unless you are making enough to pay the insurance. this is on a road risk policy, more insurers will look at young drivers if you are on a combined policy again they are still expensive.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.