Would you get wheels diamond cut on NI roads ?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
We're getting @Mel wheels refurbished. She likes them as they are except one is kerbed. The factory finish is like a satin grey inner with diamond cut lip (and a wee triangle on the face). Our options are just a "basic" repaint the whole wheel in a light grey colour, or the same but with the diamond cut redone.
I swore I'd never have a wheel with a polished lip again after having ones corrode after 8 months but they were cheap Japanese (kei racing) and 15 years ago. I know diamond cut will be similar and I know how easy they can corrode and even the refurb companies wont even stand over it. But the wheels as they sit at the minute haven't got any corrosion in the 3 years they've been on the car. We dont use wheel cleaners etc. and it doesn't get a hard life.
If we get them re-cut and sealed them up with some fancy ceramic coating, how long could I expect them to last ?
Bear in mind that it's a fair bit dearer to get them cut rather than just a repaint so it may not be worth the hassle.

(That's not corrosion in the pics, they've just been outside till they get refurb)
20201211_152048.jpg
20201211_152101.jpg
20201211_152113.jpg

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Facing the exact same predicament at the minute. 2 of my AMG wheels are in absolute ***** despite being Uber careful and there being zero kerb marks etc (they have corroded from the centre caps almost to the end of the spokes). Very reluctant to get them recut and considering opting for the RMS favourite ‘Shadow Chrome’ instead. Question for anyone in the know - most references I can see to this mention powder coating. My guy sprays as opposed to p’coating. Is the finish achievable with spraying?

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
It’s not that much dearer. Last couple of weeks I got a set of 18” type r wheels redone in silver. £240. Last week got a set of 17” vw rims with diamond cut face for £300. Cobra customs.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Facing the exact same predicament at the minute. 2 of my AMG wheels are in absolute ***** despite being Uber careful and there being zero kerb marks etc (they have corroded from the centre caps almost to the end of the spokes). Very reluctant to get them recut and considering opting for the RMS favourite ‘Shadow Chrome’ instead. Question for anyone in the know - most references I can see to this mention powder coating. My guy sprays as opposed to p’coating. Is the finish achievable with spraying?
I'd wonder are certain brands more prone to corrosion? Like the Audi wheels are spotless other than where someone kerbed them. Like would a non factory diamond cut be better or worse or the same as factory?

hippyross

RMS Regular
It’s not that much dearer. Last couple of weeks I got a set of 18” type r wheels redone in silver. £240. Last week got a set of 17” vw rims with diamond cut face for £300. Cobra customs.
But which one lasts longer?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I've only had one quote and it was 440 plus vat diamond cut 300 plus vat for standard.
Both I thought was dear but other places I've used previously work has been "ok" but I'm willing to pay for a quality job.

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
I once had a set of BMW 313 reps that were all milky under the lacquer. I took all the lacquer off the faces and polished them up and just left them like that. Never had much bother with corrosion and a bit of autosol when you can be arsed and they done rightly. Only thing is you don’t get that rainbow like tint that you do with the diamonds cut.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Tough one. I do think those styles suit the grey/diamond cut combo better, but it never lasts.

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
I would say the paint. The guy in Cobra customs told me they now double lacquer the diamond cut so maybe that will help durability.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My XJ6 wheels are diamond cut and despite only being used in fair weather there is the odd white worm in them. They look class but wouldn't last well over here during the winter IMO

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I once had a set of BMW 313 reps that were all milky under the lacquer. I took all the lacquer off the faces and polished them up and just left them like that. Never had much bother with corrosion and a bit of autosol when you can be arsed and they done rightly. Only thing is you don’t get that rainbow like tint that you do with the diamonds cut.
I actually did a similar I actually did a similar
IMG_20201031_195457_087.jpg
IMG_20201031_195457_094.jpg
IMG_20201031_195457_086.jpg
IMG_20201031_195457_143.jpg
DIY job on the winter wheels we fitted. But I'd like these wheels done properly.
IMG_20201031_195457_087.jpg
IMG_20201031_195457_094.jpg
IMG_20201031_195457_086.jpg
IMG_20201031_195457_143.jpg

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
Dearer doesn’t always mean better. We had a wheel done by a certain well known refurb company with an extra £25 for special order paint which took the bill for the wheel to £125 iirc. Noticed a few small marks where I was hitting the very corner of the back of the spokes when cleaning the back of the rim. Obviously the overall thickness mustn’t have been great.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Cobra now put double the laquer on diamond cut wheels, ceramic coated they’ll be fine, problems start if they get chipped or curbed though, they definitely aren’t as hardy as painted ones

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Tough one. I do think those styles suit the grey/diamond cut combo better, but it never lasts.
That's my worry. I also asked if a 2 tone paint job was a possibility (like hyper silver instead of diamond cut) but they said it would get expensive.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
I sold my parallels about 500 miles after I diamond cut them. They spent longer in my room ‘curing’ than they did on the car
I saw a stone chip on each rear dish and had to get shot of them. Looking back I should have just used a lacquer pen to prevent the corrosion happening
Amazing to look at but they break your heart 😩
E637EA30-2B44-464C-ACC9-DE9D814ADA3C.jpeg

colin84

RMS Regular
Diamond cut just won't last with our climate, which is why most (if any) won't give you a guarantee with it. Not just mask off those parts and spray them yourself?

combergti

RMS Regular
Drives
mk6 golf gti
Tough call some wheels look better with diamond cut as they were originally. My monzas are in a real **** state with the lacquer coming away. They're the worst thing about the car. Can't decide to get them done again or paint or replace altogether. Or try sell the car as is.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I sold my parallels about 500 miles after I diamond cut them. They spent longer in my room ‘curing’ than they did on the car
I saw a stone chip on each rear dish and had to get shot of them. Looking back I should have just used a lacquer pen to prevent the corrosion happening
Amazing to look at but they break your heart 😩
View attachment 305639
Thing is most corrosion I've seen in in the "dish" of the wheel or from the centres out. These wheels dont really have much surface to get chips etc. Or will that not matter ?
Diamond cut just won't last with our climate, which is why most (if any) won't give you a guarantee with it. Not just mask off those parts and spray them yourself?
Want a proper job done on these ones.

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
Diamond cut for me. I always think it really cheapens a wheel if it’s fully painted instead of the original diamond cut finish.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Diamond cut for me. I always think it really cheapens a wheel if it’s fully painted instead of the original diamond cut finish.
I agree but it's not a real obvious diamond cut, maybe just bare aluminium lacquered over ? Does that make sense ? Like if u look at the pics it doesn't look full diamond cut. Wouldn't look too out of place all one colour as from a short distance you cant really tell at the min.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Diamond cut does look better but when I was posed with the choice for my M3 I went with the shadow chrome.

Not a millions miles off diamond cut but has been on the car for 2 and a half years now and not a mark on them.

The diamond cut on my M4 had corrosion after 8 months. Dealer said can be micro chips and will occur around the centre when the nuts are removed if they hit the surface with a nut or the gun.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I had our 19s on the Avant done twice simply because the usual white worming / corrosion started on the polished lips. It’s impossible not to get a micro stone chip and then the inevitable happens. Never again, I went for fully painted with matt lacquer.

1608328431120.jpeg

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I had our 19s on the Avant done twice simply because the usual white worming / corrosion started on the polished lips. It’s impossible not to get a micro stone chip and then the inevitable happens. Never again, I went for fully painted with matt lacquer.

View attachment 305647
Very similar design. So yours still corroded then ?

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I wouldn't get diamond cut. I'd seen ones last only a winter here and be wrecked. I used to redo my lips years back and they where about coated loads and didn't hold up was out evey 6 months redoing them again. I got mine sprayed to remove the diamond cut back in July ish time, by a27 engineering and had another body shop pass comment on how well they were finished.