Would you store a car in a shed that has a rat?

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Posting this on behalf of my cousin.

He wants to store his car in his Dad’s shed whilst it gets some work on it.

He text me there and has said he saw a rat when opened the shed and says there is a possibility of more if theres one in there.

He has laid some traps down but he has been asking would it be safe to store the car there or is he risking a chance of a rat building a nest somewhere in the car and chewing through looms etc.

Cheers

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
We had a CC in work and a rat ate through the wiring loom in it, was excrement all through out it as well.

The loom replacement was £3,500 +o(

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Depends on the state of the car. If the rat can inside through, say a rotten hole in the floor, then no. The first thing it will do is eat a hole in your seats. I know this from experience and my seat was rare as hen's teeth and irreplaceable. I was gutted.
If the car is sound, then it would be engine wiring and climbing up into the air intake, although mice are worse for this.
My first call would be kill the rats and seal the shed.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
no chance, unless you can put it inside a carcoon also.

seen a customers brand new X5 where the rat climbed up through the back bumper and destroyed the rear seats

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Deffo not, have had experience before of rodents eating through wiring and so on. Avoid!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
A boy in work had his E91 written off when a mouse chewed through a wiring loom. If you know there’s vermin there, I definitely wouldn’t consider it.

Gemma

RMS Regular
No way. In case of damage. Heck, my friend had her yorkie in the back of her car and he was unusually quiet. He chewed through a lot of wires under her seat!!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I've done wiring loom repairs where a rat has been at them. Both jobs were over £2k. So definitely not. I fully condone murder and animal cruelty when it comes to these nasty little things.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I was going to suggest the lads from Portrush lol but got beaten to it.

Get the rat or rats sorted then use the shed. Shouldn’t be that hard to kill but often traps don’t get them. Pay a pest control company about £100 and they keep coming back until it’s sorted

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Absolutely no way. I lost a bit of a loom to one too. Thankfully there never seems to be any about here.