WRC 2019: All chat here

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Skoda have now pulled the plug on their WRC2 programme. Keeping in line with their parent company, VW, who have also stopped supporting all motorsports with an internal combustion engine.

VW and Skoda will continue to provide customer support for parts and service.
That's madness. Skoda, unlike VW, have a huge privateer marketplace.

I guess Malcolm will be expecting an increase in sales of new R5 cars, as a result.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Madness after they recently launched the latest generation of Fabia R5. At least parts will be available for it and the Polo R5.

The hope is someone enters the scene when the hybrid rules start in 2022. Sport is crying out for manufacturers.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
That's madness. Skoda, unlike VW, have a huge privateer marketplace.

I guess Malcolm will be expecting an increase in sales of new R5 cars, as a result.

Malcolm was going to take an even bigger increase in the R5 market share with the new Fiesta anyway and now that Polos are available (and competitive out of the box) and i20’s are starting to get close to competitive that was going to cut the Fabia market further.

Since the second evolution Package, the old Fiesta was a far better car than the Fabia and it could never catch up. I spoke to Ken Block at his pre-Donegal test and he said the new fiesta is a marked improvement on the old R5. I can’t wait to see them out this year, from what I hear there will be 3 new fiestas in Ireland for the start of the 2020 season, I haven’t heard anyone talk about the new Fabia....even as an option. Polos, Fiestas, i20’s yes, but not even rumours of new Fabias.

Most comments on the Fabia ive heard in recent seasons are that they were very tough to drive near the limit and were very unsettled at high speed, hence why so many moved away from them in the ITRC over the past few years. I think only Dessie Henry ran a Fabia in the ITRC last season and he finished the season in a Fiesta, Meirion Evans used a Fabia for a few rounds after his i20 went on fire in Ypres and I think that was it? Not one Fabia started Donegal.

Skoda were the first really competitive R5 car and were popular for that reason, but I think their share in the market in the UK/IRL has massively reduced in recent years and that was probably replicated further afield also.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Having Kalle Rovanpera in the Fabia this year probably flattered the car’s performance. Donagh Kelly didn’t keep his Fabia long so will be interesting to see if keeps the Polo.

Craig Breen would know about most, if not all, current R5 cars as he drove each this year.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I thought the Skoda was a very popular car on European tar?

I know for Irish roads, the Fiesta is the best feeling car compared to the Sokoda and Citroen versions.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Having Kalle Rovanpera in the Fabia this year probably flattered the car’s performance. Donagh Kelly didn’t keep his Fabia long so will be interesting to see if keeps the Polo.

Craig Breen would know about most, if not all, current R5 cars as he drove each this year.
Donagh was very impressed with the polo on the harvest. Marty McCormack seemed impressed with his outing in one on the 20 too.

It will be interesting to see, but I’d say we will see a good few of them over here in the next few years.

there is going to be a lot of R5’s competing over here next year, there have been a lot purchased in the past few months, Craig competing in the ITRC gave it a boost it needed.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Be nice for Meeke to get a run out on a round next year. Another boost for it.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Madness after they recently launched the latest generation of Fabia R5. At least parts will be available for it and the Polo R5.

The hope is someone enters the scene when the hybrid rules start in 2022. Sport is crying out for manufacturers.
I've just been informed the factory will be making and selling cars, it's just the WRC team that's ceased, makes a lot more sense.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Define “boost” though. Personally I think it would be nice to see him out but from a championship point of view, having the likes of Breen or Meeke makes it pointless for everyone else and arguably could hurt it as there is no competition for the win. I’d love to see both out on various rounds but not sure if entering the championship would be good

Reactions: DC.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta

Possibly the Circuit if KDM or Palletforce think it’s a good idea to throw money at him.

He certainly won’t contest a full championship like Breen did and I doubt he would give the championship any real boost tbh. From what I hear on the ditches at ITRC events a lot of people have very strong opinions on his attitude towards local rallying.

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Define “boost” though. Personally I think it would be nice to see him out but from a championship point of view, having the likes of Breen or Meeke makes it pointless for everyone else and arguably could hurt it as there is no competition for the win. I’d love to see both out on various rounds but not sure if entering the championship would be good

I think some of the local guys would like to gauge their speed against someone like Kris and if they are in anyway close it would help lift their own level and in doing so boost the quality of the series

The young guys are really taking to the R5 cars a lot more than the WRC cars. Moffett brothers, Callum Devine, Marty McCormack etc.

Possibly the Circuit if KDM or Palletforce think it’s a good idea to throw money at him.

He certainly won’t contest a full championship like Breen did and I doubt he would give the championship any real boost tbh. From what I hear on the ditches at ITRC events a lot of people have very strong opinions on his attitude towards local rallying.

No I doubt Kris will do a full series but maybe a run out somewhere, as you say sponsor dependant.

Fair chance we will see Breen back again doing some rounds next year.

R5 category seems really strong in Ireland at the moment and is the way forward.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Santa came early...

IMG_20191220_114617_352.jpg

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Proton through Mellors Elliot Motorsport seem to be getting pretty serious about entering the WRC in the R5 Iriz in 2020. It would be good to see a new manufacturer enter the fray.

I was at the gravel and tarmac tests last week and Grönholm was very positive about the car, more so on gravel than on tar.....but a boat would have been a better vehicle for the tarmac test.

Also managed to get a pic on the WRC Official socials this week. Pretty chuffed with that.

2DCA5B86-B985-491E-81D2-17E7D6C166BF.png

Last edited:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Is that still the Lancer evo engine but reduced to 1.6L?

It needs an eye catching result to get the people really talking.