WRC 2019: All chat here

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Very dismissive of m-sport!

All it takes is for it to click for a driver in that car and it's no less capable than the Toyota or Hyundai.

KevM

RMS Regular
The Fiesta has had both Tanak and Ogier in the drivers seat over the past few years and it was getting great results.

& The Fiesta was more successful in Ogiers hands than the scrapper DS was.

A very capable car when you consider the lack of budget, compared to both Toyota and Hyundai

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
It's not every day you get the chance to own this kind of thing, and even less so, managing a winning bid before the big money men step in at a charity auction.

I'm a happy boy this morning!

IMG_20191124_091322.png

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
And there it is. What was pretty much known now confirmed.

Be interesting to see the m-sport line up

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
So many people chasing the seat Evans just left.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Wonder if M-Sport will need a driver to bring money?

There are so many drivers available it would be hard to pick a line up.

Lappi and Mikkelson would maybe be my pick.

Something needs to change in the WRC. It needs to be viable for a private team to take part in the championship.

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
My pick for the M-Sport seat would be either Lappi, Breen, Ostberg or maybe Paddon.

Mikkelson will likely have the finances behind him to manage it though, still don't rate him.

I see Latvala has said that he is trying to sort something for next year, wonder what that would be.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
My pick for the M-Sport seat would be either Lappi, Breen, Ostberg or maybe Paddon.

Mikkelson will likely have the finances behind him to manage it though, still don't rate him.

I see Latvala has said that he is trying to sort something for next year, wonder what that would be.

Someone is going to have to set up a B team, there are too many good drivers sitting on the sidelines.
And with so few seats it will be nearly impossible for a young driver to come through.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Mikkelson will bring his dad's money with him to any team he goes to. I was at a test with him back in 2005, he turned up with a brand new focus wrc.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Someone is going to have to set up a B team, there are too many good drivers sitting on the sidelines.
And with so few seats it will be nearly impossible for a young driver to come through.

Agree, I guess it all goes to the cost point of view you've already raised.

Toyota sort of have a 2nd team I guess for a few rounds. But cant see that being a sustainable thing.

I'd almost like someone to buy Citroen Racing WRC team cars etc, and make them actually work properly. Again, can't see anyone doing that unfortunately.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Mikkelsen will apparently stay at Hyundai to drive their newest spec R5 car next year. Hope there too for Breen as he was testing the new car a couple of weeks back.

Doubt anyone will want to throw money at the Citroen cars when the regs are changing to accommodate hybrid cars in the next couple of years.

JML has said he wants to do some rounds next year, likely a private entry.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Lappi seemed upbeat about the new aero and engine for next year but we will never know how good it would have been.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta

Word on the grapevine is that Greensmith and Lappi are more or less guaranteed the pay seats with Malcolm in 2020.

Be interesting to see who he puts in the 3rd seat. 2 pay drivers and more investment from Ford than they have had in a while might see them take a punt.

By all accounts Breen had a Hyundai deal on the table until Ott made the move, he will likely stay there and run R5 cars. he was out in monza in an R5 at the weekend.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Plenty of casualties this winter thanks to Citroen pulling the plug, championship is in dire need for another team now.

M-Sport is looking like Lappi, Suninen and Greensmith.

Hyundai could well run a second team with Mikkelsen and Breen, be it full-wrc outfit or R5. All depends of what sort of money is available.

JML is trying to secure 5 rounds, sponsorship dependant.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't know about Breen, but Mikkelsen certainly brings enough cash to effectively run a privateer effort.

Sad about Kris, but it is what it is with so few seats.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Skoda have now pulled the plug on their WRC2 programme. Keeping in line with their parent company, VW, who have also stopped supporting all motorsports with an internal combustion engine.

VW and Skoda will continue to provide customer support for parts and service.