WRC 2021

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
So another year begins, another WRC season on us before we know it.

I was watching the live coverage on BT sport there. Looks like some of the drivers are having trouble with the new Pirelli tires, especially in Monte conditions.

Sunninen was absolutely flying too, just unlucky on that one bend. Thankfully driver and co-driver are OK.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Well that was fairly convincing by Seb! Evans not too far off his pace either.

M-Sport dream team as expected, though I think Sunninen has potential (look at Tanak in his ford years).

Toyota will be the team to beat this year. Hope Hyundai can keep closer to them too.

Oliver Solberg was going well in the hyundai r5 too. Just a shame about the last stage.

Last edited:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Ogier will be difficult to stop this year (again). Man is just a master, one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Shocker of a weekend for Hyundai. Tanak got himself a suspended one rally ban for driving on the public road with only one three wheels and tyres on his wagon, Sordo had no speed and Neuville just wanted to finish with his new co-driver. Amazing that Neuville’s first time sitting beside his new co-driver was on stage 1. The joy of a late call up and no shakedown stage.

Less said about M-Sport the better. They will all hope for a better showing at the Arctic Rally in a few weeks time.

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
Tanak made a massive mistake leaving Toyota. Apparently he will be back at the Artic Rally despite the ban. Rovanpera will go well there. Neuville did well with new codriver for sure. M-Sport.... going to be a tough year.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Euros. Neuville pays his co-driver a salary (I’m not sure if that’s standard practice but hey ho) and every year they agreed a wage but couldn’t agree this year.

Some reading here about the change:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Euros. Neuville pays his co-driver a salary (I’m not sure if that’s standard practice but hey ho) and every year they agreed a wage but couldn’t agree this year.

Some reading here about the change:
AFAIK there is a deal between driver and co-driver where the latter gets a set percentage of the drivers salary.

Reactions: DC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I imagine it's all individually negotiated like everything else, and everyone is on whatever deals work for them.

You would have thought a top driver would look after their co-driver, especially if they work well together. But then again maybe the co-driver got greedy, or there was something else going on.

Only they know. It's just life.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Neuville must have been raging though; doing all the Monte testing with the new Pirelli tyres etc. then Nicolas decides to up sticks and leave. Unbelievable. He was/is already under pressure to beat his teammate Tanak but this makes it that much harder.

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
Well the new pairing seemed to do okay. So hard to beat the Toyota with Ogier being Ogier, Evans coming into his prime and then young Rovanpera going to be tough to deal with from time to time.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Throw into the mix the fact almost everyone’s contract is up at the end of this season. Toyota will need to replace Ogier saying this year is his last.

Maybe Tanak will return to Toyota?!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Not necessarily bad blood but he thought the grass would be greener at Hyundai and we all know the grass is greenest where you water it most.

He’s probably the fastest driver in the series but it’s not always about speed. Depends on how Rovanpera develops this year too, Toyota may lead with Evans and Rovanpera + whoever in 2022. (Katsuta likely keeps his seat)

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Did anyone see the article in the paper (was at my mums house so think it was Bangor Spectator) about the councillors puffing and blowing that 'WRC Rally NI' wasn't going to be on the calendar 2023? I nearly spat my tea out when I read the headline.

Based in North Down was the plans with stages from the old circuit and the ulster.

Would be class if it happened but at the very least if it was going to happen I'd say it would be a 'Rally Ireland' repeat not NI.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Did anyone see the article in the paper (was at my mums house so think it was Bangor Spectator) about the councillors puffing and blowing that 'WRC Rally NI' wasn't going to be on the calendar 2023? I nearly spat my tea out when I read the headline.

Based in North Down was the plans with stages from the old circuit and the ulster.

Would be class if it happened but at the very least if it was going to happen I'd say it would be a 'Rally Ireland' repeat not NI.
It’s unlikely to be a Rally Ireland. It will also use damn near every rally stage in the country to get the required mileages.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
If it comes to NI, it will only ever be once, and that's likely to be next year.

Stormont will need to lump out something in the region of £3m to make it happen. The return of investment not even worth talking about when compared to golf and road racing.

The sums to get such investment is clearly done by someone with a broken calculator.

I also heard its highly unlikely to have a national event running aside it, meaning a very low number of entries.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Daniel didn’t exactly take it too well, mentioned that Prodrive’s last success was Petter Solberg’s WRC title way back in 2003. The war even got a mention 😂

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I don't think anyone knows the true story other than themselves.

Life goes on.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Daniel didn’t exactly take it too well, mentioned that Prodrive’s last success was Petter Solberg’s WRC title way back in 2003. The war even got a mention 😂
I actually love the way the French rant out all their angst and then go have a few beers, smoke a few gauloise, shag the mistress and then go home quite contented.