WRC 2023

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
As said in the other thread, any event that needs significant government backing to run is pretty much doomed. The RAC or Donegal don't seem to need a 5m bung to run so it has to be that the WRC fees are massive (I know they are). But where the frig does 5 mill go on an event? That's a mental amount of money for an event that will be shorter than Donegal, and the organising clubs in the areas would still be doing the job. I know I'm massively over simplifying this but WTAF is really going on, why is it always shrouded in secrecy and intrigue?

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
As said in the other thread, any event that needs significant government backing to run is pretty much doomed. The RAC or Donegal don't seem to need a 5m bung to run so it has to be that the WRC fees are massive (I know they are). But where the frig does 5 mill go on an event? That's a mental amount of money for an event that will be shorter than Donegal, and the organising clubs in the areas would still be doing the job. I know I'm massively over simplifying this but WTAF is really going on, why is it always shrouded in secrecy and intrigue?
The promoter has a fee which will need paid. That’s a large part of it. Then all the infrastructure you need to provide - you can’t service in a car park behind a pub. I worked on ERC events and the level of things required over a normal ITRC event was huge. WRC is another huge leap upwards again

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The promoter has a fee which will need paid. That’s a large part of it. Then all the infrastructure you need to provide - you can’t service in a car park behind a pub. I worked on ERC events and the level of things required over a normal ITRC event was huge. WRC is another huge leap upwards again

I understand that completely but still, renting the likes of the racecourses and airports that were earmarked as potential service areas is hardly going to add up to 5m / year? The promoter fee was mentioned as £375k, lets say conservatively £500k for a service park location, £500k insurance for the event. A few permanent staff to run it each year, maybe 300K? Even at that, a lot of places were falling over themselves to host it, as long as costs are covered with some compensation, the payback is the visitor numbers and overall business return. There's got to be a deal that offsets some of the costs against the business tax return although I know first hand that all the government calculators are made in la-la land when it comes to publicising returns on investment into businesses etc.

The further away you can stay from major government agencies, the better. If it wasn't frigged before you approach them, it soon will be.