Wrong Details on FPN?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Conor

RMS Regular
I was issued a FPN for my number plate,that was fair enough,he was really civil about it, even measuring the text to make sure it was too small, i have no complaints. Anywho, he gave me the ticket, and i went on my way.

Opened it a couple of days ago to pay it, to find the address and DOB were completely wrong! Not a case of one or two letters or numbers,but whole words, and my DOB was nowhere near correct. I had a couple of lads in the car that heard me say and spell my correct details, but the cop obviously badly misheard me.

My question is,is the ticket valid? I dont really mind paying as i know i was in the wrong, but i thought id ask,because £30 is still £30!lol
My signature isnt on the ticket.

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Yes the ticket is valid. You could try taking it to court, but the judge will likely tell you to wind your neck in and pay the fine.

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
Even though he spelt my name,address and DOB wrong? Or does it just go by the number plate,and the fine is charged to the registered owner?

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Doesn't matter, if you have the ticket then you're liable.

Yeah, they'll prosecute the registered keeper if you don't pay.

big cyril

RMS Regular
There was a thread recently about a similar issue where a cop had given a ticket with the wrong date on it, he phoned up and pointed out the error and it was dropped.

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Aye, date of issue is very different to the person's details being wrong. The issue date being wrong put the ticket past the time where it can be dealt with.

big cyril

RMS Regular
The persons details being wrong is worse ie completely wrong person?
If I was the cop I reckon it would be more sensible to give a warning than go to court to face examination over how they got the address completely wrong.
I reckon it's worth a phone call and an assurance that the plates have already been changed to legal ones.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If he cant get any other details right...could you possibly believe what he says about the number plate either ??

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
True Stevie, in all fairness he was extremely civil about it.

Might be worth a call.Cheers lads!

Ballsoutracing

RMS Regular
Drives
TT Supra / GTR
If you could be arsed to take this to court, you will find that it is impossible for the case to be prosecuted. The fpn, is a legal document and it has to be entered as evidence, if there are any mistakes on it then it is inadmissable in court, therfore you have no case to answer. The judge will be more likley to give the cop an ear bashing for putting it in front of him and failing to perform a basic task of his employment.

Probably not worth the hassle but you will find if you ring the officer responsible, pointing out, his mistake and telling him you would like your case to be heard at court. He will probably tell you to bin it. He will then get you for somthing else and make sure he has the ticket correct. Good luck, probably best to pay up.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I guess though...given teh evidence presented if you did take it to court. Would you really need a solicitor ?

Although you'd still lose costs due to hassle and time off work etc.

Perhaps if he does report it to the cop, the cop should be thankful, instead of seeking to get him another time.

spaceh0pper

RMS Regular
Drives
Pedestrian
If you could be arsed to take this to court, you will find that it is impossible for the case to be prosecuted. The fpn, is a legal document and it has to be entered as evidence, if there are any mistakes on it then it is inadmissable in court, therfore you have no case to answer. The judge will be more likley to give the cop an ear bashing for putting it in front of him and failing to perform a basic task of his employment.

Probably not worth the hassle but you will find if you ring the officer responsible, pointing out, his mistake and telling him you would like your case to be heard at court. He will probably tell you to bin it. He will then get you for somthing else and make sure he has the ticket correct. Good luck, probably best to pay up.

Not strictly true. Before your defence even gets a chance to speak, it's possible that the prosecution barrister may ask for the ticket to be amended to show the correct details. If the magistrate agrees, your defence collapses and you're now going to p*ss everyone off by wasting the court's time.

spaceh0pper

RMS Regular
Drives
Pedestrian
I guess though...given teh evidence presented if you did take it to court. Would you really need a solicitor ?

Yes. Remember it's a magistrate's court, not a trial by jury affair.

I once tried to ask a question in a magistrate's court and got fined an extra £40 for contempt of court. Didn't even get a chance to talk or put across my side of the story - and that was with a solicitor.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yes. Remember it's a magistrate's court, not a trial by jury affair.

I once tried to ask a question in a magistrate's court and got fined an extra £40 for contempt of court. Didn't even get a chance to talk or put across my side of the story - and that was with a solicitor.

Ive been in court before, with no solicitor. As have others. A solicitor is not necessary at all. But as they know the legal ins and outs, usually its better to have them speak for you. If you blarge out when you shouldnt be speaking..then that could be considered contempt of court.

And I'd like to think they cant randomly tamper with evidence, just because it doesnt say what they'd like it to !!!!

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
I paid the fine anyway, got it on good authority that because it was a defect with the car, it is passed on to registered keeper, which is me.

Not worth the hassle tbh, itd be different if i was in the right.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I paid the fine anyway, got it on good authority that because it was a defect with the car, it is passed on to registered keeper, which is me.

Not worth the hassle tbh, itd be different if i was in the right.

Thats how the legal system wins every time.

You make a mistake, you must cough up. The legal system makes a massive mistake...your still at fault.

As I said, if he cant even write a ticket correctly...I wouldnt believe for one second he was correct about the allegedly illegal plate.

Ballsoutracing

RMS Regular
Drives
TT Supra / GTR
Thats how the legal system wins every time.

You make a mistake, you must cough up. The legal system makes a massive mistake...your still at fault.

As I said, if he cant even write a ticket correctly...I wouldnt believe for one second he was correct about the allegedly illegal plate.

Too true, if the ticket is wrong all else is not important, you legally havn't been issued a ticket, nor has the keeper.

I once had an argument with a cop over the size of my front plate, when I told him there was an amendment to the law that covered a jap import, he asked me wot it was. Needless to say I told him it wasn't my busness to do his job for him, he should know the law if he was giving out tickets. I told him to give me the ticket and I would see him in court. He wouldn't give me the ticket, so an hour later, 7 police officers 3 cars, and the superintendent, from the local cop shop (specially called out to deal with me). Even he hadn't heard of this ammendment, so again I asked to be given the ticket, and he wouldn't give me it. Eventually he plucked up and said ill give you one for the shadowing on you rear plate them, to witch I replyed that's ok cos it is illegal.

Just goes to show most of them don't know the law the way they should. Im not a cop, but if I was and was giving a ticket, I would ask for the licence and take the details off that. If I couldn't do that successfully, I would apply for McDonalds and keep my fingers crossed.

Im sure the proscecution can't ammend the evidence so it suits their case. Allthough im sure it wouldn't be a first. My defence would be I havn't been issued a ticked.

Ghost

RMS Regular
Too true, if the ticket is wrong all else is not important, you legally havn't been issued a ticket, nor has the keeper.

I once had an argument with a cop over the size of my front plate, when I told him there was an amendment to the law that covered a jap import, he asked me wot it was. Needless to say I told him it wasn't my busness to do his job for him, he should know the law if he was giving out tickets. I told him to give me the ticket and I would see him in court. He wouldn't give me the ticket, so an hour later, 7 police officers 3 cars, and the superintendent, from the local cop shop (specially called out to deal with me). Even he hadn't heard of this ammendment, so again I asked to be given the ticket, and he wouldn't give me it. Eventually he plucked up and said ill give you one for the shadowing on you rear plate them, to witch I replyed that's ok cos it is illegal.

Just goes to show most of them don't know the law the way they should. Im not a cop, but if I was and was giving a ticket, I would ask for the licence and take the details off that. If I couldn't do that successfully, I would apply for McDonalds and keep my fingers crossed.

Im sure the proscecution can't ammend the evidence so it suits their case. Allthough im sure it wouldn't be a first. My defence would be I havn't been issued a ticked.

I have never heard so much nonsense.

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1

(cut)

And once you caught a fish that was <------------------------> that big! ^o)

There is no way in God's green earth a Superintendant would be anywhere near a traffic stop. Unless he was passing on his way home.

Ballsoutracing

RMS Regular
Drives
TT Supra / GTR
I have never heard so much nonsense.

Wot are you saying, that the episode was nonsense, or you don't believe my post.

I have more to do than spend my time writting fiction on the internet, I posted my experience for the benifit of other users on the board. If you choose not to believe it that's up to you, frankly my dear I dont give a damm.

Maybe you would care to explain your comment, why you think this is nonsense.

Can't wait for this, the PSNI is about to explain itself, that would be another first.

Its all very well sticking your nose in with a dismissive comment like that, without backing it up, you might not want to believe it as it make the PSNI look like meany minded incompotents, but hay them the breaks, maybe more trainning would help.

Ballsoutracing

RMS Regular
Drives
TT Supra / GTR
And once you caught a fish that was <------------------------> that big! ^o)

There is no way in God's green earth a Superintendant would be anywhere near a traffic stop. Unless he was passing on his way home.

Again as posted above I have more to do than make up stories for the internet. Every word is 100% fact. Maybe the superintendant was passing on his way home, although its more possible that I was pulled in about 20 yards form the cop shop, and he drove out in a police car. Also smartarse, it wasn't a traffic stop.

Its good to find out all the facts before you try and riddicule.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.