Yamaha FZ1S

Lee

RMS Regular
With the Fireblade gone, the space in the garage wasn't going to stay empty for too long. The criteria was: something more comfortable than the blade, still with plenty of power, in good condition with low miles, all for a reasonable budget. So here she is, this feels like the bike I always should've had.

I've already treated it a wee bit, and it's only been here two days!

PXL_20230531_194437930.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230531_194247375.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230531_194403816.MP.jpg

PXL_20230531_194849314.MP.jpg

PXL_20230531_194947927.jpg

Wheelchair

RMS Regular
Drives
That’s lovely, looks in great condition too. Couldn’t believe the power these put out when I first read about them!

Reactions: Lee

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Great bike and that's a lovely example. Had one a few years ago and a lot of good memories of it. Plenty of power and comfort. Best of luck with it.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's class, looks clean! Am I right in thinking these have an R1 engine or one derived from the R1?

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Thats lovely.
Was looking at them briefly when shopping a few years back but ended up with Ducati Monster. bit of a regret in some ways i didnt look at these a bit more

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Thats really great looking bike @Lee ! Plenty of power if needed too as you say.
Good luck with it, health to wheelie 👌

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Thats lovely.
Was looking at them briefly when shopping a few years back but ended up with Ducati Monster. bit of a regret in some ways i didnt look at these a bit more

Cheers. I had never really considered one before, but the more I looked into them, the more I was sold. They seem to have a vast price range, depending on what mileage you want and if you want a specific colour.

Thats really great looking bike @Lee ! Plenty of power if needed too as you say.
Good luck with it, health to wheelie 👌

Thanks lad! Although I'll have to admit, I'm not big into my wheelies 😂

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
I think I have tank guard/protectors for these new and unused. Came in the post when mine got smashed 😖 you can have them if your close to Glengormley

I blame the exhaust fitter… wasn’t loud enough 😜😘 @Chris666

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I think I have tank guard/protectors for these new and unused. Came in the post when mine got smashed 😖 you can have them if your close to Glengormley

We/I did an exup delete too, and something else 🤣

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee

Very kind, although I'm out in the sticks of Fermanagh 😂

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice looking bike. Sure its more comfy than a fireblade.

I still want a fireblade sometime, just to have experienced one. I don't think the comfort will be a problem, I hope to have a cafe racer, a sportsbike and a touring bike so the tourer can provide the comfort for longer trips. I reckon after a year though I'd swap the Fireblade for something lighter like a 675.

The Fazer makes a load of sense for a bike if its your only one as its certainly quicker than you need anyway but with a better position for road riding,

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Nice looking bike. Sure its more comfy than a fireblade.

I still want a fireblade sometime, just to have experienced one. I don't think the comfort will be a problem, I hope to have a cafe racer, a sportsbike and a touring bike so the tourer can provide the comfort for longer trips. I reckon after a year though I'd swap the Fireblade for something lighter like a 675.

The Fazer makes a load of sense for a bike if its your only one as its certainly quicker than you need anyway but with a better position for road riding,

Cheers. I'd have high praise for the Fireblade, there's definitely nothing heavy feeling about them. I can only speak for my 2004, but they feel like a well engineered machine, as if they weren't built to a budget. Good enough grunt down low but the top end rush is just something else. They're quite user friendly bar obviously the sportsbike riding position.

My first bike was a Street Triple 675, and as much as I'd highly recommend one of those too, they have to be worked quite hard if you're out with a couple of litre bikes. Ample power for the road in one way, but not to be compared with 1000cc torque.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
No doubt fireblades are good, hence the need to find out for myself. They look easy to throw about in Michael Dunlops hands, not so sure about mine. I won't have ridden anything yet that would compare to that top end. Would like to try an H2 briefly to see what stupid power feels like.

I plan to have a cafe racer and a tourer/adventure bike so I think ideally something light would fit in well, not sure I'd mind less power because most 600s are quicker through the corners. I'm even considering a 400 to improve my riding in the twisties on something light and easy to manage.

Do you think a GSXR 750 would be a good middle ground?

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
No doubt fireblades are good, hence the need to find out for myself. They look easy to throw about in Michael Dunlops hands, not so sure about mine. I won't have ridden anything yet that would compare to that top end. Would like to try an H2 briefly to see what stupid power feels like.

I plan to have a cafe racer and a tourer/adventure bike so I think ideally something light would fit in well, not sure I'd mind less power because most 600s are quicker through the corners. I'm even considering a 400 to improve my riding in the twisties on something light and easy to manage.

Do you think a GSXR 750 would be a good middle ground?

I've never ridden a GSXR 750 but have read a few times that they are a good middle ground. They are supposed to feel like a 600 physically but with about 150bhp which would be a nice amount of power.

I would say I only properly pushed the Fireblade on once. And that's when it really came into its own, they are happiest at 100+ mph, making light work of the bends. But for that, you really need some private roads down in Mexico. So the rest of the time, getting crippled after half an hour wasn't great. Concentrating on trying to be comfortable rather than enjoying the ride. So the Yamaha covers all bases, I'm just back from the first proper run and it gives me a similar feeling to my first bike, albeit with more grunt. Obviously your planned trio would be the ideal solution!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
They are supposed to feel like a 600 physically but with about 150bhp which would be a nice amount of power.
Sounds perfect.

would say I only properly pushed the Fireblade on once. And that's when it really came into its own, they are happiest at 100+ mph, making light work of the bends. But for that, you really need some private roads down in Mexico. So the rest of the time, getting crippled after half an hour wasn't great. Concentrating on trying to be comfortable rather than enjoying the ride. So the Yamaha covers all bases, I'm just back from the first proper run and it gives me a similar feeling to my first bike, albeit with more grunt. Obviously your planned trio would be the ideal solution!
Thats the thing, I don't want a bike that you can push so far, better to have something with less power to keep me in check.

Talked with loads of bikers at the NW and so many had 2 or more bikes. Seems if you are a bike fanatic long enough it will happen as you want to cover all bases,