Z3m

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Johnny_52

RMS Regular
Drives
AM Vantage
Would be looking at maybe buying in the next few months. Anyone know what to watch out for, engine, suspension wise?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Vanos Failure, same engine as e36 M3's and same problems engine wise...

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Get a 2001+ model, S54 engine...same as that in the E46 M3.

Fabulous cars....a modern classic. Has to be Estoril Blue.

The S50 engine, as found in the E36, has the Vanos issues as Benzo pointed out....but it also doesn't have DSC, unlike the S54 model.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Vanos is the biggest issue to watch out for, they're also sore on suspension components (much like M3s) so check that out carefully too. P5ary had one, might be worth PMing him. I'd highly recommend going for a BMW warranty on one, Woodcutter was singing its praises the other day and for a car with a sensitive engine like the Z3M I'd say it's a must.

Gaz

BMWZ1

RMS Member
Drives
Smart Brabus Roa
Would highly recommend one!

As said by everyone above, the VANOS is the main issue... best bet is to buy one where someone has spent the money getting it replaced at some point (and has BMW dealer invoices to prove it... many were done under warranty as far as i know).
The warranty idea is a good one too, though there are plenty of 3rd party warranty providers around who would be much cheaper than BMW. They can be sore on suspension components as they are heavier than you would expect (1,550kg), but no worse than an M3 as said above.

As Woodcutter says, the S54 engine doesn't have the VANOS issues, but those cars are usually significantly more expensive than the S50's... although if it's going to be a daily driver, with the S54 engine you do get traction control... but to be honest, there's no real issue with not having it - the engine is seriously linear and it has a nice long throttle pedal...

Final point is to watch out for the new car tax regime coming in... as far as i know it will apply to cars 2001 onwards... and so if you buy a 2000 car you'll keep paying £180-odd a year, if you buy 2001 that could be a lot higher... (don't quote me on this!).

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.