Zircotec - Ceramic exhaust manifold coatings

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

MarkM

RMS Regular
So how Expensive is Expensive?

How much for say the 4cylinder manifold above? I'm considering it but I've a right bit of stuff needing done.

It's cheapest in white, then black then metallics are most expensive, I can't remember exactly but it was about £300 including UPS postage both ways

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
It's cheapest in white, then black then metallics are most expensive, I can't remember exactly but it was about £300 including UPS postage both ways

Dear enough if you've a good batch of stuff to do, does it chip / Scratch? How's it wear? Does it still look the same after 100's of heating and cooling cycles?

MarkM

RMS Regular
Dear enough if you've a good batch of stuff to do, does it chip / Scratch? How's it wear? Does it still look the same after 100's of heating and cooling cycles?

Mine still looks great, it's faded slightly after 4/5 years but no flaking/chips at all

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the likes of Zircotec for coating an exhaust manifold?

http://www.zircotec.com

I'm looking into it from the "performance" benefits and keeping under bonnet temps down for a track car.

It's a very very expensive alternative to wrapping the manifold and a diy rattle can job.

Thanks,
Neil

I wouldn't bother unless the car is turbocharged. Mark has most of his Fords done, but that's to cut down the extra heat produced by the extra boost :p

If you do get it DO NOT GET WHITE! It's clean for about 2 seconds :p

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Due to me keeping a spreadsheet of costs for my build down to the last penny I can tell you it cost me £702.84 to coat two turbo manifolds and two turbo elbows (twin turbo so two of each) the elbows were done in silver and because they were clean stainless it cost a lot less than the two cast manifolds which were done in metallic black and if I remember correctly were about £485 on their own, these prices include return shipping.

Worth it though, even for looks alone it made a big difference, I now wish I'd also got my turbo housing done.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Depending on which coating you go for on a fairly standard manifold for the civic, its £300 - £550.

The range covers colours and heat ranges.

Civilized

RMS Member
Drives
Civic
I think it works. Otherwise companies who have a whole lot more to lose, wouldn't use them.
I know the guys at Wheeler Dealers went to Zircotec a few times. (Wheeler Dealers и Zircotec)
The students at Formula Student also use them: Formula Student using F1-spec Technology - Badger GP - The F1 Webzine
I follow them on Instagram and there's a lot of people that races using them. If it wasn't good, those guys wouldn't use it.... definitely!

I think the heat soak is more of a myth. Either with exhaust wrap or ceramic coating. If the heat is kept inside but the engine keeps on running, explosions keep on happening on the engine head. So, these explosions would still pushing the hot air out. What I understand from this is that, by keeping the hot air inside the pipes, these will follow faster through the piping and improve the engine's performance.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I think it works. Otherwise companies who have a whole lot more to lose, wouldn't use them.
I know the guys at Wheeler Dealers went to Zircotec a few times. (Wheeler Dealers и Zircotec)
The students at Formula Student also use them: Formula Student using F1-spec Technology - Badger GP - The F1 Webzine
I follow them on Instagram and there's a lot of people that races using them. If it wasn't good, those guys wouldn't use it.... definitely!

I think the heat soak is more of a myth. Either with exhaust wrap or ceramic coating. If the heat is kept inside but the engine keeps on running, explosions keep on happening on the engine head. So, these explosions would still pushing the hot air out. What I understand from this is that, by keeping the hot air inside the pipes, these will follow faster through the piping and improve the engine's performance.

Thanks for the reply :grinning:.

Your second paragraph is exactly why I am tempted to do it.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Are they a custom casting or just a Garrett housing ?
They are very similar to Garret -9's with slight differences, not sure if the exhaust housing is exactly the same but its likely it would be I guess as the difference I imagine is probably the turbine wheel.

Civilized

RMS Member
Drives
Civic
They are very similar to Garret -9's with slight differences, not sure if the exhaust housing is exactly the same but its likely it would be I guess as the difference I imagine is probably the turbine wheel.

Have you tried the guys at Owen Developments?
Heard good things about them. They have now launched their own Turbo housings, but I know they also sell Garrett housings.

hippyross

RMS Regular
I'm not sure it would be worth it on the ep3 as sure the manifold is at the rear of the engine.
Spend £50 on good wrap and use the savings in others area's.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I'm not sure it would be worth it on the ep3 as sure the manifold is at the rear of the engine.
Spend £50 on good wrap and use the savings in others area's.

It's not for the under-bonnet temps, I'm trying to keep the energy in the exhaust gas, theoretically anyway!

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Wouldn't worry about maximising the performance from that, best manifold for these is the toda or tegiwa rip off version. I'd only be coating the manifold if it was a turbo setup but I've mine own sidewinder wrapped without any issues. That's money better spent on suspension etc

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Wouldn't worry about maximising the performance from that, best manifold for these is the toda or tegiwa rip off version. I'd only be coating the manifold if it was a turbo setup but I've mine own sidewinder wrapped without any issues. That's money better spent on suspension etc

Neither of those have a sports cat option :worried:.

Also the Piper isn't far behind the Toda power wise and is a fraction of the price.

hippyross

RMS Regular
It will be a Piper manifold. It was going to happen fairly soon, but the usual story with scrotes online :sob:

Having the same problem getting an intake can't understand how it can be so difficult to make a simple transaction, I'm nearly ready to tell him to stick it up his bangle.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Ffs after 2001 they need a cat my 2001 went through twice with no cat.

I like to hug trees anyway ;).

Seriously though, I know it may be against the trend, but I don't mind taking the hit power wise with the cat.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.