EV and their range...

What real-world range would make you move to EV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
But he doesn’t want to charge that hybrid at home as imagine if he has to pay the £3 or £4 to drive those 16 miles 😜
Bring on the charges and then those hybrids will never see a charge either at home or publicly.
Is there not a “rule” or certainly guidelines by ESB that anyone on a rapid should stay in the car? Read something like that on the EV NI Facebook pages.
Start a rumour that they might spontaneously combust if left alone or too long at a rapid charger 🧐🤣

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
I moved to EV with circa 250 mile real word range. Maybe 200 mile in winter. Haven't tested it yet! 2000 miles and not a hint of range anxiety as yet.

Charge at home each night (a must with the current state of public chargers unless you have access in work or something). Make use of the free destination chargers if they are available and handy. One long journey so far, 270 mile round trip, made super easy by quick supercharger stop. By the time I had nipped to the toilet and bought a coffee it was good to go again.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I moved to EV with circa 250 mile real word range. Maybe 200 mile in winter. Haven't tested it yet! 2000 miles and not a hint of range anxiety as yet.

Charge at home each night (a must with the current state of public chargers unless you have access in work or something). Make use of the free destination chargers if they are available and handy. One long journey so far, 270 mile round trip, made super easy by quick supercharger stop. By the time I had nipped to the toilet and bought a coffee it was good to go again.

The super chargers are mind blowing aren’t they 😂 I actually couldn’t believe it was charged lol

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
The super chargers are mind blowing aren’t they 😂 I actually couldn’t believe it was charged lol
On a run to Dublin or Cork, it literally adds no additional time to my journey because I would normally stop anyway. And it's handier and cleaner than stopping for fuel.

Thinking of doing a bit of a family road trip in the summer and so long as we can fit everything in, it's looks like it will be very handy. Boat to Scotland and then head south over a few days. Loads of supercharger sites in the mainland

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
9455B50D-E7A6-4BAC-A70F-7566825E9A4C.jpeg
A01AE6C9-BAC5-4E6D-85CA-DE2BFF87AEF8.jpeg
E7511270-618A-4113-863C-4F55D9530310.jpeg

@salster really wants one now 😂😂

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Are they actually making the cyber truck?

According to meeting in work today, the answer is, they are installing the equipment to make it.

Worlds first 8000 ton casting press not long after being installed for it.
There's only 10 6000T ones in the world.

Typically in past and what we have done in work is that all largest cast content is alloy wheel, cylinder head, block, suspension component sized. Everything else typically made of pressed steel, welded together. The industry over last number of years has been installing bigger and bigger equipment to cast more all in one aluminium stuff that saves weight and assembly cost.

Trend now for giga presses that essentially casts a big chunk of car all in one and very fast.
Have to though design cars, production machinery factories and entire supply chains up around it.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
According to meeting in work today, the answer is, they are installing the equipment to make it.

Worlds first 8000 ton casting press not long after being installed for it.
There's only 10 6000T ones in the world.

Typically in past and what we have done in work is that all largest cast content is alloy wheel, cylinder head, block, suspension component sized. Everything else typically made of pressed steel, welded together. The industry over last number of years has been installing bigger and bigger equipment to cast more all in one aluminium stuff that saves weight and assembly cost.

Trend now for giga presses that essentially casts a big chunk of car all in one and very fast.
Have to though design cars, production machinery factories and entire supply chains up around it.

Those gigapresses are made by an Italian company and from what I’ve read Tesla have bought the next 8. The argument partially against such big castings was that it makes the car unrepairable but if you have self driving that makes sure you never actually have a crash in theory they would never have to be repaired, theoretically. If Tesla cast the front and rear and have the battery pack as a stressed unit they are onto a winner.

By far the best Tesla content for engineers is munro live on YouTube. He is a bit of a plonker but he does tear them down and compare to others like the VW id4 battery packs. I actually became a bit of a Tesla convert.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think "repairable" is way down the list these days. A car is built to last a lease deal, and to be cheap and quick to assemble, and that's it. The high electronics content alone in modern cars has a short shelf life.

This applies to EV more than anything else.

For example, a bent panel is the least of the problem when the bumper and windscreen are filled with thousands of pounds worth of sensors and cameras and radar and lidar and all the rest of it. Or matrix headlight assemblies costing a fortune to replace. And so on.

Then an airbag goes off and that's it, car is scrap anyway.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
The argument partially against such big castings was that it makes the car unrepairable but if you have self driving that makes sure you never actually have a crash in theory they would never have to be repaired

We now have software that can model what happens to these big castings in a crash in an effort to help improve chances of integrity. Which although cool nerd engineering isn't going to help with repair bills.

Given the tech and equipment needed just to keep these things straight during production process for moderate sized stuff you are right they will be economically unrepairable for any shunt that bends it. Battery probably does that already though.

Can't remember his name but there's a guy on YT that puts Tesla auto driving to test in awkward situations, safe to say anyone who let's it self drive in anything but benign circumstances is mad. It might save you from running into back of someone but will also handily stick you into oncoming traffic.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I think "repairable" is way down the list these days. A car is built to last a lease deal, and to be cheap and quick to assemble, and that's it. The high electronics content alone in modern cars has a short shelf life.

This applies to EV more than anything else.

For example, a bent panel is the least of the problem when the bumper and windscreen are filled with thousands of pounds worth of sensors and cameras and radar and lidar and all the rest of it. Or matrix headlight assemblies costing a fortune to replace. And so on.

Then an airbag goes off and that's it, car is scrap anyway.
Maybe for the legacy manufacturers but Tesla have said and Musk often speaks about his want for a million mile battery that will still hold a significant charge. The principal is a car will never be scrap because it will never crash so a million miles will actually be feasible supposedly. Whether the ancillaries last a million miles that’s another question but with less components than an ICE I don’t see why not. I think attitudes to repairing products will change dramatically over the next decade with the ‘right to repair’ introduced. I can’t believe I’m actually positively writing about Tesla because up until a few months ago I thought they were bundles of rubbish with awful fit and finish.
We now have software that can model what happens to these big castings in a crash in an effort to help improve chances of integrity. Which although cool nerd engineering isn't going to help with repair bills.

Given the tech and equipment needed just to keep these things straight during production process for moderate sized stuff you are right they will be economically unrepairable for any shunt that bends it. Battery probably does that already though.

Can't remember his name but there's a guy on YT that puts Tesla auto driving to test in awkward situations, safe to say anyone who let's it self drive in anything but benign circumstances is mad. It might save you from running into back of someone but will also handily stick you into oncoming traffic.
I’ll be watching closely at their next launch of autonomous driving software. According to musk if you have a heart attack or fall unconscious it will drive you to the nearest hospital. Seems a bit pie in the sky for me. He reckons it’ll save more drivers from accidents than the seatbelt has.

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Those gigapresses are made by an Italian company and from what I’ve read Tesla have bought the next 8. The argument partially against such big castings was that it makes the car unrepairable but if you have self driving that makes sure you never actually have a crash in theory they would never have to be repaired, theoretically. If Tesla cast the front and rear and have the battery pack as a stressed unit they are onto a winner.

By far the best Tesla content for engineers is munro live on YouTube. He is a bit of a plonker but he does tear them down and compare to others like the VW id4 battery packs. I actually became a bit of a Tesla convert.

The way cars get written off for so little these days...probably not so much of an issue.

It would be poorer countries who do actually repair cars. But then will Tesla sell anyone parts to repair ? They seem to run a bit of a closed shop

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Be more than two people a day looking their cars charged. I read a few days back about a big one going up in Norwich with 30 odd bays and they’re already a thing elsewhere in the world. Audi are starting to knock them out in Europe too. And it’s not just a coffee, you’ve a captive audience for 20/30 mins so there’s a lot more could be sold in that time.

Perhaps it will make more sense to stick a bank of bays in places like Forestside or Junction one, though you’d think everyone would prefer the space to be available to all road users and not just EVs.

And there we go.

9 bays capable of delivering up to 172kwh each. Thousands more to come.

It’s about 3 times the price of charging at home here but for a quick squirt while out on the road, it’ll be ideal. Plus it’s in London which is dear anyway.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
I still think we're being lead down the wrong path regarding EVs.

If you had a radio controlled car as a kid with a spare battery, you changed the battery for a fresh one - not charge the car.

Why can't we get a standardised ev battery? Motorbike would use one for example.

Small car would use 2. Large car 4. Large van 6 maybe. Articulated truck 15-20.

Pull into a recharge station, cameras see your reg plate. An automated process with auto opening doors and manipulators removes your older depleted batteries, replacing them with freshly charged ones. Whole process shouldn't take more than 10 mins. Old ones are stacked on a rack to be charged via wind turbines or solar.

Gotta be far better than waiting ages for the car to charge.

Lastly, it puts the onus on the charging company to look after the battery, not the car owner.

How many EVs are already scrap due to batteries that cannot hold a charge?

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I still think we're being lead down the wrong path regarding EVs.

If you had a radio controlled car as a kid with a spare battery, you changed the battery for a fresh one - not charge the car.

Why can't we get a standardised ev battery? Motorbike would use one for example.

Small car would use 2. Large car 4. Large van 6 maybe. Articulated truck 15-20.

Pull into a recharge station, cameras see your reg plate. An automated process with auto opening doors and manipulators removes your older depleted batteries, replacing them with freshly charged ones. Whole process shouldn't take more than 10 mins. Old ones are stacked on a rack to be charged via wind turbines or solar.

Gotta be far better than waiting ages for the car to charge.

Lastly, it puts the onus on the charging company to look after the battery, not the car owner.

How many EVs are already scrap due to batteries that cannot hold a charge?
That causes more compromises than it solves for a huge variety of reasons

However the main one is that the battery in an EV is a stressed component of the chassis

To make it easily changeable this would have to be changed and this would make the vehicles even heavier and affect efficiency

Plus I love your optimising that a process of battery swaps could be automated easily in multiple locations with consistent service - just think about how complex that would be

Think about automated car washes and how simple they actually are and then think about how many you see broken….

For small vehicles like motorbikes etc then changeable batteries make sense given the size and ease of access and this will be the norm but for larger vehicles it’s not feasible