Tripod speed camera?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

avo5021

RMS Regular
I drive a worse car than he does...

If 00flyboy00 wants to email through the work system i can verify or deny his authenticity... surname is Avins and there is only one on the email system at work so im not hard to find...

Incidentaly he is correct in what he says about our European counterparts... they do hide and they do hide properly, once when i was travelling back to camp in Germany i was travelling along the Motorway in Belgium towards the Dutch border point when i passed a car in the central reservation area, actually parked with a cam net over it and a speed gun mounted on the tripod pokin out the net like a machine gun nest...

Never seen the likes of it again.. not even over here..lol

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
saw the police tonight for the first time in 5 years on the tully road between doagh and the larne line

i use this road daily and have never seen cops out with the laser!

my point is, they were well in view this time and not hiding :p even though the jeep was parked up behind a tree :p

rybo

RMS Regular
That road is fairly well worked by RPU Ballymena due to the high incidence of speed related collisions & fatalities.

There is little option but to park off the road anywhere along there. Leaving a vehicle out on the road would be a hazard in itself.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Im serious in saying that that was the first time i have EVER seen them out trying to catch speeders

i have seen several cop cars on that road but no stopped

i would use that road on monday, tuesday, thursday and friday evenings all year - in saying that, i do not speed on that road (even though its very tempting), i was doing 50anyway coming up to them lol i was so tired after training!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
speedingis1.jpg

(y):p

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Ano lol... Unfortunately missed this but good topic conversation have to say....

N yes ive seen some hiding before, like the best was sticking head and gun round the corner of bus shelter up by Stormont, was ridilously funny and sneaky at same time... Other peeler was up a few lanes from there well tucked up just sittin with the 2 bikes waitin for the call to wave someone down...

But bar that there n couple of iffy ones they've all been pretty much in open... Again its the whole 'always someone gives the rest a bad name' scenario...

Nath3n

RMS Regular
rybo recently on route home from a certain meet organised through this site.. i came out of a round about... on the left turnoff of this roundabout there was a police omega sitting - with 2 police officers currently present, at this point i was well below the speed limit sitting around 35 in a 40, but as i passed straight through the round about i noticed the police officer driving the vehicle sitting watching the car whilst the police officer in the passenger seat was turning towards my car with what looked like one of the handheld speed cameras... as soon as you passed over the roundabout the speed limit drops to 30mph, and i accordingly slowed down...

i wasnt stopped but what i want to know is how is that possibly allowed? i could not see the police officer with the camera, until i had completely passed the police vehicle?

i have no problems with the police service although in the passed i have not always been impressed with the service due to a near fatal accident and the police (admittingly, thanks to police omburdsman) saying mishaps took place, i did want to enquire about what i recently saw...

thanks nathan

Drives
megane 1.5DCI 10
in my opinion it doesnt matter if they hide or not there are some pretty wide tollerances on speed cameras. and if u are speeding u r speeding. i got caught speeding and have done the 3 years.

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/sideeffects.pdf

I'm all for money been put into more police on the roads than investments into 'safety camera's' which cause more accidents than they prevent, yesterday was really big eye opener:

Coming into Newry past the sheepbridge where the new 60mph average speed cameras are in place, i was behind a lorry which was behind a car we were travelling at an speed of around 55mph where suddenly i seen the lorry break violently and partially jack-knifing onto where oncoming traffic would usually be.
The reason for this "A idiot driver who already doing under the speed limit decided to break violently when he/she noticed the 'safety camera" Luckily due to the road being relevantly quite and I was keeping a good distance due to surface water on the road, but that could have easily have been a fatal accident, not prevented but caused by a 'safety camera.

Oh yeah, for anyone saying 'speed kill's' please do a bit of research first. There is no, yes NO direct correlation between speeding and having an accident, quite the opposite due to driver's preception of the road and concentration increasing at higher speeds. Why the media always protray 'Speed kills' is because it is a small factor in 24%~ of accidents(not to sure of the percentage, but read this in The Times so i'll hoke out the copy/issue), which are usually caused 'lack of concentration', 'alcohol', 'inexperience',and 'not adjusting speed according to the road conditions'.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Oh yeah, for anyone saying 'speed kill's' please do a bit of research first. There is no, yes NO direct correlation between speeding and having an accident, quite the opposite due to driver's preception of the road and concentration increasing at higher speeds. Why the media always protray 'Speed kills' is because it is a small factor in 24%~ of accidents(not to sure of the percentage, but read this in The Times so i'll hoke out the copy/issue), which are usually caused 'lack of concentration', 'alcohol', 'inexperience',and 'not adjusting speed according to the road conditions'.
While I am on your side for the most part, of course there is a correlation between speed and accident frequency. Imagine we electronically (or mechanically) limitted every vehicle on the road to 15mph tomorrow. Do you geniunely beleive there would be no decrease in accidents?

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
i'm literally laughing having read that 'officers hiding' when operating speed cameras is a 'myth'

i've only been gone a year and a half but i doubt its changed much. I worked as a pizza delivery drive in the antrim area for over 4 years, i knew all their spots and hiding places, including peeking over the top of a wall.

Its not like they conceal themselves 100% so you never even saw them, but they do deliberately (on ocassions) make it difficult to be seen until you are upon them. I personally dont care if they hide, i hope they catch more dangerous speeding drivers. But its more irritating to have to hear them whine on about how they don't hide.

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
While I am on your side for the most part, of course there is a correlation between speed and accident frequency. Imagine we electronically (or mechanically) limitted every vehicle on the road to 15mph tomorrow. Do you geniunely beleive there would be no decrease in accidents?

No, if limited cars (our primary transport) to 15mph our social and economic world would completly collapse putting us back into the 'dark ages'. Unfortuntely people are going to die on the roads, a woman in warrenpoint was killed by a car on friday night by a car doing less than 5mph, it was her own car, she got got an left the handbrake off.

imo, it can be partially explained by darwins thoreoy of evolution, where for thousands of years, people who brought nothing to forward the evolution of society would be killed by there own stupidity or weakness so that only the strong survive creating a better 'ulimate race'. There are people who have sped on the roads all there lives and only had one or two accidents, where there are people who have never sped yet get killed in an accident!

Its called fate!

big cyril

RMS Regular

I'm all for money been put into more police on the roads than investments into 'safety camera's' which cause more accidents than they prevent, yesterday was really big eye opener:

Coming into Newry past the sheepbridge where the new 60mph average speed cameras are in place, i was behind a lorry which was behind a car we were travelling at an speed of around 55mph where suddenly i seen the lorry break violently and partially jack-knifing onto where oncoming traffic would usually be.
The reason for this "A idiot driver who already doing under the speed limit decided to break violently when he/she noticed the 'safety camera" Luckily due to the road being relevantly quite and I was keeping a good distance due to surface water on the road, but that could have easily have been a fatal accident, not prevented but caused by a 'safety camera.

I drive that road most days, and reckon the speed cameras make it more dangerous too - all the traffic does 60 on the nose because they are afraid to go over that, so all are approx five feet apart at exactly the same speed.
This means two things -

(1) There is always a problem when the two lanes merge back into one, and this is compounded Southbound because the lorry men need to get back down to 40 for the single lane bit.

(2) The real danger with that bit of road (and the A1 generally) is cars pulling out from side roads when the road isn't clear. Because all the traffic is now travelling in big waves with each vehicle about five feet apart, if there is an incident it will be a big one because so many cars are close together. If there was more latitude, then the faster cars would get past the slower cars and lorries and so the traffic would be more spaced out, lessening the severity of any incident.

dd-polow

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A4 TDI
I would have to agree with Rybo.. I dont speed simply because i know the resources are out there to catch me and take away my license which i need so much for my job..

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
No, if limited cars (our primary transport) to 15mph our social and economic world would completly collapse putting us back into the 'dark ages'.
Of course it would, but thats not my point. The point is, you claim there is no correlation between speed and accidents? I think you'll find that there obviously is. Do you think there would be as many road accidents in this hypothetical "15mph world" Your grasp on Darwinism, evolution and natural selection is rather shaky as well, but its a bit OT for this thread.

00flyboy00

Drives
Peugeot306
the lorry should have only being doing 40....if he had he would have seen what was happening ahead and had time to react without skidding or varying directional course.....

00flyboy00

Drives
Peugeot306

You have made such a contrdiction here....in your last lines you say 'not adjusting speed according to the road conditions'

A slower speed gives a driver 1 vital advantage....the time to react to something. Thats why the experts have produced speed limits. I imagine that if I asked you to quote stopping distances you would be unable to. If drivers and roads and cars are better than ever, then why are so many still being killed or seriously injured every year??
Drivers perception might increase with speed, but the reaction to anything that he percives....such as danger....is seriously deminished.
You are right....speed doesnt kill.....its the tree, wall, field or car that you hit will kill you, speed is just a contributary factoe, as is unroadworthy vehicle, driver fatigue, drink, drugs, road conditions......the list is endless.

When I am dealing with someone at the road side for speeding and they put this to me, the only answer is that if they are not happy with it, take the matter to court and let them decide. I think ya might be disappionted.

big cyril

RMS Regular
You have made such a contrdiction here....in your last lines you say 'not adjusting speed according to the road conditions'

A slower speed gives a driver 1 vital advantage....the time to react to something. Thats why the experts have produced speed limits. I imagine that if I asked you to quote stopping distances you would be unable to. If drivers and roads and cars are better than ever, then why are so many still being killed or seriously injured every year??
Drivers perception might increase with speed, but the reaction to anything that he percives....such as danger....is seriously deminished.
You are right....speed doesnt kill.....its the tree, wall, field or car that you hit will kill you, speed is just a contributary factoe, as is unroadworthy vehicle, driver fatigue, drink, drugs, road conditions......the list is endless.

When I am dealing with someone at the road side for speeding and they put this to me, the only answer is that if they are not happy with it, take the matter to court and let them decide. I think ya might be disappionted.

So who would you have prosecuted if there had been a crash? - the lorry driver or the fool who stood on the brakes for no good reason?

Also both Avo and Rybo can spell and you can't, are you really who you claim to be?

00flyboy00

Drives
Peugeot306
I wouldn't be taking anyone to court....I don't deal with RTC's thats left to local station.
If I was the investigating officer, I would prosecute the lorry driver for excess speed and driving without due care and attention and would prosecute the other driver for driving without due care and attention, depending on the interview. You can't decide that there was 'no good reason' until you speak to the driver concerned.

What is your obsession with the validity of my employment?? This is the 2nd time you've mentioned it. In relation to my spelling, I don't need a degree to copy the details from a drivers licence onto a fixed penalty notice!

big cyril

RMS Regular
What is your obsession with the validity of my employment?? This is the 2nd time you've mentioned it. In relation to my spelling, I don't need a degree to copy the details from a drivers licence onto a fixed penalty notice!

Don't be offended - it would be easy for someone to come on here and impersonate an officer (or whatever else they like...), and you have to admit you seem to be singing from a different sheet to Avo and Rybo which is why I'm wondering?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.