E60 525d - turbo issue?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
It's certainly much better :-#
Just need to get the clamp replaced and then I'll be able to see exactly where we are with it ......

Cwmurf

RMS Regular
Replaced Egr pipe today with new (silicone) one. Seems much better!View attachment 122751 View attachment 122752 Found another slight 'blow' though - this little buggerView attachment 122753 it's the clip to join the Egr. It's like one of those grooved, exhaust type clamps. I remember it being awkward when I replaced the manifold but thought it was sorted. Obviously not! It's a pig though!

I had that boost pipe split on me 2 nights ago. Lost all power changed it today and it's still the same no warning lights or leaks etc driving perfect except dead need it plugged in see what's going on. Hope you get to the bottom of yours bud.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I had that boost pipe split on me 2 nights ago. Lost all power changed it today and it's still the same no warning lights or leaks etc driving perfect except dead need it plugged in see what's going on. Hope you get to the bottom of yours bud.

You're ecu may be storing an under boost fault, which will need cleared.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Cheers pal, likewise. Can you get it plugged in? Mine didn't show any codes on INPA tbh but a more in depth diagnostic may reveal something else?

Cwmurf

RMS Regular
Cheers pal, likewise. Can you get it plugged in? Mine didn't show any codes on INPA tbh but a more in depth diagnostic may reveal something else?

Yeah I'll get it plugged in asap. I knew I had a split hose somewhere the day before I had a whoosh coming on boost. The hose split on the motorway that's when I lost all power changed replaced that pipe and it's been dead as Hector from it and the revs top out at 3k

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
If all was fine before the spilt, you'd guess it'll be something simple as @Nicky suggests .........but then it's a BM :laughing:;)

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Soooooooo ........... got the replacement clamp this morning but it made no difference initially. Using a mirror I realised there was a kink in the edge of the pipe which was preventing it from mating properly - should have thought of that first :oops:.
Sorted that and I have to say the car has never been better!!! I can't believe the split pipe caused all the issues, but I guess it started small and got worse over time. Just like the running problems.
Not counting my chickens just yet but really pleased atm - quick run to the garage tonight and it was fun again. There was boost too ;)
Need to change the front brakes and sort the oil leak (rocker cover is favourite but some cleaning and inspection required to confirm) and I'll be happy. For now anyway :grinning:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Good to hear it's sorted.

I asked a while ago if that pipe was attached properly, as I know they can be a balls to get seated properly if your not familiar with them.

At least you have spare clamps now if nothing else... Lol

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
It looked seated as far as I could see, but the mirror never lies :laughing:

Ge0rge

Banned
Two ordered for Saturday morning :grinning:
There are 3 all together, just out of interest when you first start the car in the morning do you get a smell coming/fumes coming into the cabin ? Sorry forgot to read back over the entire thread I lost interest when you said no til the offer :p but have you had the air filter changed recently and we're all the bolts done back up properly?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
There are 3 all together, just out of interest when you first start the car in the morning do you get a smell coming/fumes coming into the cabin ? Sorry forgot to read back over the entire thread I lost interest when you said no til the offer :p but have you had the air filter changed recently and we're all the bolts done back up properly?
Flexi joint in the exhaust, or else the exhaust manifold cracked/gaskets split?

You had the turbo off yours, didn't you?

Ge0rge

Banned
Yeah they crack at the manifold nearest the start of the air filter housing as I'm sure you know well better than me, was just wondering if his manifold is cracked, if it's a long term keeper it's worth stripping down, remove intake manifold, injectors etc and the lot then place it all back together I know it's time consuming but look at the time wasted so far, I had a similar issue simply because I rushed the job back together and didn't tighten down the 2 or 3 rocker cover screws inside the air filter housing properly.....

Bring me up to speed what is the problem now, no loss of power but a lot of soot build up? Any noticeable difference in noise ? Then again when we think there is something wrong we always find something we think sounds wrong!

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Latest is that a split charge air pipe to Egr is the root of all evil! Replaced with new one and issues pretty much sorted. A distorted clamp needed replaced at Egr to preserve that joint too and no more soot :grinning:
Now the rocker cover gasket to be replaced to (hopefully) cure the oil leak, and glow plugs while the manifold is off.
Sorry about the offer thing :oops:
Keeper .......... ?:rolleyes:

Cwmurf

RMS Regular
How'd you get on?

Ended up leaving it in apparently the actuator was seized/stuck open he sorted it by unseizing it but it's still not right I've got the boost but it's not 100% right seems like it's backing of occasionally like the actuator is still sticking! He said I'd need to get keep driving at it and tbh I haven't it's now in getting a full suspension kit at the front should have it back this week.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.