Car lift group buy?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
Agreed. But that looks like an expensive setup!!

Like the idea of driving one car under another.

Also. I've never worked at a car on a scissor lift. But on a two poster the only areas where access is limited is around the doors and jacking points. Times when I've been working in around front suspension/hubs you are able to get head right in around underneath etc. Can't imagine that's possible on that type of lift.

Like I said. 2 poster seems to tick all my boxes and nothing anyone has said made me rethink that.

The scissor lift will only sit under the sills so access should be ok for suspension etc.

It really depends. I'm only going for a scissor lift as I don't have the head height for a 2 post lift.

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
I bought one of these last month, the guy selling them is a gent and very helpful. Quality is very good, I would have no hesitation recommending it. It'll lift my Discovery and has a load of different sized lifting pads. Another nice touch is they include a set of removable castors to make it easier to slide out of the way when not in use

CAR LIFT, MOBILE SCISSOR LIFT. GREAT FOR HOME/WORK USE | eBay
My dad has had one of these for a number of years, we have all sorts on it, takes a bit of man handling if and when you want to shift it about, but its a great job for the home mechanic type, clearly not as good as a professional 2 post job but for us its been a great tool.
Also worth pointing out it uses a 3 pin plug, many will be three phase I think.

Like your man suggests, dad has actually shown a couple of other folks his, prior to them buying too

Last edited:

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Each to their own, I wanted a 2 post for years but decided it eats up too much space and now that I've got this I don't think I would actually change it for a 2 post. I have never needed access to the middle of a cars floor before, it's perfect for wheels brakes suspension and at the front and rear you have access to the full width of the floor

One thing I hate about the 2 post, is getting in and out of the car with the posts in the way, and the posts being a nuisance whilst working around the car

Someone said their scissor was heavy to move? The one I got is a doddle, just as easy as dragging a trolley jack around although granted I'm on a smooth surface.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Each to their own, I wanted a 2 post for years but decided it eats up too much space and now that I've got this I don't think I would actually change it for a 2 post. I have never needed access to the middle of a cars floor before, it's perfect for wheels brakes suspension and at the front and rear you have access to the full width of the floor

One thing I hate about the 2 post, is getting in and out of the car with the posts in the way, and the posts being a nuisance whilst working around the car

Someone said their scissor was heavy to move? The one I got is a doddle, just as easy as dragging a trolley jack around although granted I'm on a smooth surface.

Which one do you have @Rob ?

not sure if i picked up what you had ... where to buy and cost?

thanks in advance

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
We sell quite a few lifts and they're generally through Search.

Happy to take this on and see if I can get a group buy price for RMS'ers.

That would be great if you could take this on ... scissor lift for me ... swaying towwards portable as not sure i have funds to start digging holes in a garage ... unless its easy to do

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
That would be great if you could take this on ... scissor lift for me ... swaying towwards portable as not sure i have funds to start digging holes in a garage ... unless its easy to do
It would involve cutting your existing concrete with a saw, digging down a bit, making a mould and then laying down new concrete with a minimum 3000psi rating and best to use some rebar in it also. Not that hard but you might not want to tackle it yourself.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

It's a few hours work, and around £160-180 worth of concrete. I done 1 last year and it has been perfect ever since. A solid 8" deep and I got fibres put into the mix which cost about £8/10 extra, and threw 4 lengths of rebar into the concrete as it was being laid too.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
For most of the scissors...as they spread the load over a wider area and the load directly downwards only, the floor wouldnt need to be as fussy as it would for a 2 poster ramp that bolts to the floor.
One of the larger scissors wouldnt be much worse than what a jack would put on the floor really

Some of those smaller ones might be a little different though

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Thanks guys but if you left me with a kango or pick axe the garage would be ruined. Not the best diy'er

I'll see what comes out of this and make decisions then

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Thanks guys but if you left me with a kango or pick axe the garage would be ruined. Not the best diy'er

I'll see what comes out of this and make decisions then
You get scissor lifts that sit on top of the floor, they don't need to be buried tho it is nice.

We have 2 at work on top of the floor and have a 2 post lift and unless using the 2 post to get at something the scissor lift platform blocks then I go for the scissor lift every time.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I can see why a scissor would be good for side access but I always seem to be under cars looking up rather than at the side of them.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Possibly interested in a two post single phase myself. Will see what prices come back like.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
I would be the same myself. See what sort of discount is involved

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Be very much price dependent and if such a thing as a water proof wheel free type lift would exist, (tyre bay style) I would be interested.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Full height Scissor lift at work
IMG_0416.JPG

Pretty much central on the lift as no mechanical work being done, tho is a little to one side to make it easier for me.

Front wishbone not a problem, and could go more forward on the lift.
IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

Back axle can come off and again could be put further back if wanted.

IMG_0421.JPG

Obviously a 2 post lift would be handier for this stuff but just thought I put some pictures up if people can't have a 2 post and thinking of a scissor lift.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That looks a good job there. Are they generally more expensive?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Full height Scissor lift at work
View attachment 135464

Pretty much central on the lift as no mechanical work being done, tho is a little to one side to make it easier for me.

Front wishbone not a problem, and could go more forward on the lift.
View attachment 135465

View attachment 135466

Back axle can come off and again could be put further back if wanted.

View attachment 135467

Obviously a 2 post lift would be handier for this stuff but just thought I put some pictures up if people can't have a 2 post and thinking of a scissor lift.

What make is that? I don't need 1, but I kind of want 1 now...

Bryan

RMS Regular
I have to get my driveway concreted under the car port and I'm tempted to create some recessed areas for a scissor lift - at least when it's down the neighbours won't even know it is there. A full height scissor is the way to go for me I think but they generally do seem to be much more expensive.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

More expensive than a 2 poster, yes. But there are various designs and options all affecting the price, whether it be ram type, number of rams, locking mech etc etc

Some of the ones I linked earlier via egay look pretty decent and are surprisingly cheap ( Even the Launch one looks ok and that place in Londonderry seems to sell them )
A friend who got one via Snap On...it was in the £5k range. Which is crazy money really although it was a good few years ago. So prices may well have came down

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I always planned on a two poster, but am now planning on a recessed scissor lift because it will do most of the jobs a two post can but will take up zero room in my garage when not in use, plus its great for detailing work. Also the Datsun is a b***h to lift with some 2 post lifts due to limited jacking points (until I add some more which is planned) You can still use a scissor lift to store two cars if needed but obviously its much more complicated to do as you need to lift one car up, lower it down onto a special stand and then retract the lift.

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
I always planned on a two poster, but am now planning on a recessed scissor lift because it will do most of the jobs a two post can but will take up zero room in my garage when not in use, plus its great for detailing work. Also the Datsun is a b***h to lift with some 2 post lifts due to limited jacking points (until I add some more which is planned) You can still use a scissor lift to store two cars if needed but obviously its much more complicated to do as you need to lift one car up, lower it down onto a special stand and then retract the lift.

IMG_3256.jpg

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
What make is that? I don't need 1, but I kind of want 1 now...

Boss said he only paid £1500 for that scissor lift but I can't find similar at that price, seem to be over £2000 nearly.

Here's the brand of the one pictured, this one doesn't have a mechanical lock tho :/
IMG_0424.JPG

Here's the plate on the pump of the other on scissor lift, this one has a mechanical lock that needs an air supply to unlock it

IMG_0425.JPG

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.