1 Question. New Shop in Belfast?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Morgan@50cal

RMS Regular
OP
Morgan@50cal
Drives
A lot
Apologies I was merely outlining some key points of my thoughts on that sort of distribution network. My bad, just checked the website & on first impressions that is a really well published site. Best of luck in your endeavours !

Thanks for your input mate. Really appreciate it

Morgan@50cal

RMS Regular
OP
Morgan@50cal
Drives
A lot
I would be more tempted to work towards a branded van or vehicle to take to shows/meets the same way you see different brands doing and sell direct from that. Has the potential to look epic due to your branding style, and photos of your vehicle on all show reports=free publicity.

Obiously alongside your current strategy though. That's something I would like to do in your position but I do like the idea of camo-ing up a caddy also... so maybe I'm biased lol

This is something I dream about every night! :p

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Have you looked into assigning an affiliate in forum/clubs using you as a drop shipper?

This model works fairly well in other businesses and would get you decent exposure. Little risk in it compared to the physical shop idea too.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I think getting more stockists on board who can help build your brand has to be No1 priority at the moment, but if you can open a small retail outlet to help get the brand better known, then go for it...just be careful you don't piss off current stockists of your product!

ilovequo

RMS Regular
You should have plenty of options to occupy a premises on a rates & service charge only lease/licence...
Plenty of vacant units in Belfast/Bangor/Lisburn...

Unless you expect mass sales from pedestrian traffic I'd avoid city centre.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
my opinion, for what it is worth......

firstly, opening a place in Belfast takes trade away from existing distributors. If I was a distributor, I wouldn't be happy

secondly, there is the cost involved in opening up a location, and for what is, and don't take this the wrong way, an expensive product. Certainly at the margins you guys operate on, it would be profitable, but you need to ask yourself is it worth spending £X to make £Y. what is the capital return, as in how many years would it take to pay off the premises. Selling only your products could seriously limit your target market.

thirdly - location. Where would you envisage opening? I thought people could already visit your premises on Queens Road? or is 50Cal kept as a separate entity from Rocara?

Getting stockists on board without flooding a region is the key to initial success, and backing that up with online sales, but then you need to be fair to your distributors, and not underselling them or their prices. ie. have a set retail price no matter where the customer buys it from, be it you or your distributor.

Dave..

RMS Regular

firstly, opening a place in Belfast takes trade away from existing distributors. If I was a distributor, I wouldn't be happy

secondly, there is the cost involved in opening up a location, and for what is, and don't take this the wrong way, an expensive product. Certainly at the margins you guys operate on, it would be profitable, but you need to ask yourself is it worth spending £X to make £Y. what is the capital return, as in how many years would it take to pay off the premises. Selling only your products could seriously limit your target market.

thirdly - location. Where would you envisage opening? I thought people could already visit your premises on Queens Road? or is 50Cal kept as a separate entity from Rocara?

Getting stockists on board without flooding a region is the key to initial success, and backing that up with online sales, but then you need to be fair to your distributors, and not underselling them or their prices. ie. have a set retail price no matter where the customer buys it from, be it you or your distributor.

Exactly this.

Morgan@50cal

RMS Regular
OP
Morgan@50cal
Drives
A lot
Have you looked into assigning an affiliate in forum/clubs using you as a drop shipper?

This model works fairly well in other businesses and would get you decent exposure. Little risk in it compared to the physical shop idea too.

Yes we've got an affiliate scheme with a few clubs as well. (y) Cheers

Morgan@50cal

RMS Regular
OP
Morgan@50cal
Drives
A lot

Cheers Ross, yes we are kept as a separate entity. And would like to move away from the manufacturing facilities on the Queens Rd.

We have one existing distributor and they are in Kilrea / mainly sell online and at shows.

Location is definitely key as well!

Morgan@50cal

RMS Regular
OP
Morgan@50cal
Drives
A lot
A shop selling only 50cal stuff?

Too start, but then possibly adding a range of accessories to complement the range. i.e DA and finishing pads for Cover-Up Filler Glaze, applicators for Pentawax etc

Morgan@50cal

RMS Regular
OP
Morgan@50cal
Drives
A lot
Personally I do 99% of my car cleaning products shopping online as it's far handier and would say the majority of car enthusiasts are the same.

You would be down for a coffee and a nosey anyway I'd say :p

AndyG

RMS Regular
Couldn't see it doing well when you could go elsewhere and have a huge range of products from more manufacturers. I'd rather make the trip out to pro car

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Delivery is so quick when you order from the 50cal website that I wonder is there even a benefit to having a store which costs a further £xxxx a month to run plus paying staff,rates etc etc.

I wonder would it be of more benefit to organise a 50cal demo day with the likes of pmg,pay pete to demonstrate the proper use of the 50cal products,their benefits then maybe a discount on the website for people who attend,as said above people may be more likely to attend somewhere where they have a wide range of choices,but a day like the above would more than likely secure repeat custom to the website...

Morgan@50cal

RMS Regular
OP
Morgan@50cal
Drives
A lot
That's another point, if it was open during business hours I would imagine it would be pretty much empty during the day as the majority of us are at work and usually shop at the evenings/weekends.

It will be more than just a shop. We'll be dispatching orders from there and generally working out of there. We aren't talking about opening a shop up in a high street or anything.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.