125 on car licence??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Whats the score on riding a 125 on a normal car licence obtained after 2001.

Can I just get some insurance, and fire on an 'L' plate and rock on??

Or would I have to sit the CBT ??

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yes, its as simple as that, though you are restricted to something like 11hp.

The likes of the Aprillia RS125, the best handling >600cc bike ever put into production, is 33bhp when derestricted, which means that you can ride it while restricted, then keep it ad derestrict it and use it within the confines of CBT regulations once you pass your test, should you wish to go for it...

Ben P

RMS Regular
OP
Ben P
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Yamaha YZF R 125

YZF-R125-057.jpg

sporty, Im quite taken with the above YZF R 125...Similar in size to an R6, would do me rightly for commuting and wee summer rides ! 4 stroke too, so more reliable than an RS 125, but not as fast .

adamski08

RMS Regular
Drives
96 ek civic
do you need to put the l plate up if your using your driving licence.
YZF R125 are a class looking bike and not to bad for speed either

adamski08

RMS Regular
Drives
96 ek civic
so 50cc really is the max or would you be able to get a 125cc moped

adamski08

RMS Regular
Drives
96 ek civic
i know you need a full licenece after the 125 just wondered if you could get insured on a 125 moped with a ful car licence just

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
i know you need a full licenece after the 125 just wondered if you could get insured on a 125 moped with a ful car licence just

Yes, you'd still be classed as a learner and have to display L plates though.

j

Edit - there is no such thing as a 125 moped. It would be a 125 scooter. Mopeds are 50cc or less.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Never had any bother with my RS125 (2001 model), which would make me say that they are reliable, and mine was a daily commuter clocking up over 80 miles a day. As long as the oil is kept topped up and ya change the filters every few thousand miles, it will serve you well.

I was near 6ft when riding mine and didnt find it too bad size wise, whereas any of the newer bikes like the 1 above, all have much smaller frames and aren't near as comfortable IMO.

The 2-stroke Aprillia loves to be revved, and it takes it to get any acceleration out of it, but as i said earlier, they are an unbelievable handling wee bike, and will outrun most cars on a good twisty road, and even alot of bigger bikes if riden properly.

adamski08

RMS Regular
Drives
96 ek civic
i was going to buy an rs125 a few years a ago before i got the bike i have now but was told that you had to rebuild the engine a lot and would be about 400 quid every time.

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
i stand corrected.thanks j

Just checked, and what I said only holds true if you got your full car license before 01/02/2001 (no CBT requirement in NI as far as I know though):

United Kingdom

The term moped describes any low-powered motor driven cycle with an engine capacity of less than 50 cc and a maximum design speed of no more than 50 km/h (31 mph). If used before 1 September 1977 it can be moved by pedals.[10] A provisional licence, full motorcycle or car licence is needed to operate a moped. An additional Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate is also required to ride a moped on public roads, except for anyone who obtained their full car driving licence or motorcycle licence before 1 February 2001. A provisional moped licence may be obtained at the age of 16, whereas standard car and motorcycles licences are only available at the age of 17. Provisional licences require learner plates and expire after two years if the licence holder has not passed a test, however it can be extended another two years by retaking the CBT. Mopeds are subject to all of the same traffic laws as other vehicles. All motorised cycles, motorcycles and mopeds under 50 cc are excluded from using UK motorways.[11][10]

j

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Lol, 4t 125 is hardly a 'quick machine' by anyones standards.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Bet it's quicker than the Honda XL125R I learnt on lol
Power/weight wasn't too cool;)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.