2004 tdci mondeo packed in

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
The daily seems a bit sick. Last night, pulled out around a 40ft lorry on a crawler lane, shifted down to 4th for a bit more go (just by glenavy service station headed for moira if your curious) and half way up the hill, half way by the lorry with a car up my exhaust...the car cuts out, initially feel loss of power then nothing at all. Managed to whack the hazards on but in a fairly dangerous situation, got out of the way luckily no one was coming the other way dived across the road into a side road.

Now, engine was dead i think, turned ignition off and back on and started straight away no problem. Carried on my journey and got curious when on safe bit of road knocked it from 5th th 4th and hoofed it, same again. It happened at light load again a while later too.

All this is just after sticking £30 of diesel in (light was on) so have a hinkering bad fuel may be a reason. Intend to change the filter, but still have quarter tank of said fuel. And run some fuel cleaner through the system.

But, fearing all sorts of injectory pumpy famous issues, any ideas ? its left the engine management light on so perhaps get it scanned to see what reveals,
Anyone experienced something like this

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Also reading up about egr valve possibly clogged. Or split boost hoses. me thinks spanners be out this weekend :worried:

Ge0rge

Banned
the electronic actuator on the turbo could be sticking its a common problem and a pain because if it is you will struggle to find anyone that would be willing to split the actuater from the turbo, does the glow plug light come on with the EML ?

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
A good quality Bosch fuel filter from eurocarparts wouldnt do any harm, i think there is 30% off at the minute!

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
the electronic actuator on the turbo could be sticking its a common problem and a pain because if it is you will struggle to find anyone that would be willing to split the actuater from the turbo, does the glow plug light come on with the EML ?

At the time yup glow plug light was on, now just the EML is on, but i reckon if i go out today and give it a bit of foot both lights will be back on

Ge0rge

Banned
At the time yup glow plug light was on, now just the EML is on, but i reckon if i go out today and give it a bit of foot both lights will be back on
you could block off the egr valve at the front to see if that makes a difference i blocked mine with a ebay job, you really need to get a diagnostic done, good thing with these the wee cheapy diagnostic tools work fine if it is the actuator it will be intermittent and gradually get worse til its stuck in limp mode all the time the one i had was used daily in limp mode for over 2 years and still is being used lol

then again may well be dirty fuel, if your in belfast i have a wee diagnostic tool if you wanna try it

RMS Member
Drives
espace 3lt v6
Had a TDdi mondeo a few years ago same problem cutting out when putting the foot down but only happen after remap had it at several ford garages changeing different sensors on the engine, still had same problem, in the end turned out to be fuel injector pump was a costly fault, hope urs isn't the fault! Personaly I put mine down to the remap as it was fine before I got it done!!!

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Hmm, just started it and no lights at all, normal operation, took it a run and all is well :confounded:

me thinks longer run required

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Sounds like the EGR valve if the glow plug was flashing too. Get the codes read to be sure tho if its gone off it may not show the codes

Ge0rge

Banned
glow plug light flashes to indicate that it's in limp mode doesn't necessarily mean it's egr valve you 'll need diagnostic on it

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Using a proper diagnostics machine will read the fault codes even if the light is now off as it should be stored on the ECU. I was able to read the Range Rover and Omega using a Snap-On Solus even when the lights were out.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
VNT vanes stickin in low rpm position?

only would be apparent in 3/4/5/6 gear where you are accelerating hard above 2.5k rpm - ie, the point at which the vanes open and cant do so.

easy to diagnose. when the car is started the actuator should pull the vnt lever on the turbo. then when rev'd above 2.5 the actutor should release the lever

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Using a proper diagnostics machine will read the fault codes even if the light is now off as it should be stored on the ECU. I was able to read the Range Rover and Omega using a Snap-On Solus even when the lights were out.

The snap on reader couldn't read mine when light went off.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
glow plug light flashes to indicate that it's in limp mode doesn't necessarily mean it's egr valve you 'll need diagnostic on it

Hence why I said get the codes read lol

Tho generally if its glow plug flashing on a mondeo it's the EGR or injectors

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Or something as simple as an EGR valve which is very common fault on mondeo's.

If its euro 4 you can't block it off either without putting the EML light on either

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Euro4? It's got a plug on it, does that make I. Euro4.

Wil run current fuel out of it, put fresh in, diesel cleaner treatment, new fuel filter and remove and clean egr tomorrow. And see if can get someone to plug it in to review codes

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
That turbo vane issue sounds rather probably that it quit at higher revs just as turbo was really spooling. But at 146k I expect egr to be well clogged too, shall see tomorrow. Possibly remove inlet manifold too and clean it out. And put that thermostat in while in there. Enlisted help of a buddy

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Fault still not raised its head since. Today I fitted a new thermostat as was always running cold for months. Now comes up to temp so that's good but probably not related to fault. Also removed egr and cleaned it out and checked its operation, little dirty but clean now, operates manually. Changed fuel filter and fresh fuel and redex cleaner to be run through. Will see if fault pops up again

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
Fault still not raised its head since. Today I fitted a new thermostat as was always running cold for months. Now comes up to temp so that's good but probably not related to fault. Also removed egr and cleaned it out and checked its operation, little dirty but clean now, operates manually. Changed fuel filter and fresh fuel and redex cleaner to be run through. Will see if fault pops up again

Check the vanes on the turbo? 4th gear run, 2krpm to 3.5krpm should be enough for the MAP sensor to sense the overboost and induce limp mode

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.