2009 Le-Mans Blue E92 320D MSport

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Have been on the lookout for something for a while to let me take the M2 off the road, it was my daily for years pre-covid and then with full time working from home and deciding to keep the M2, the aim is to keep the miles off it.
I changed jobs in Nov and went from full time working from home, to in the office a few days a week (at least at the onboarding phase) and then a couple times a month from there on out, so the hunt for something became a bit more urgent.

Was looking at MINI coopers, Swift sporting, PoloGTi , something quick and fun, but realistically I will end up using the M2 for fun and this just needs to munch miles and carry the 2 boys about if I need to.

Having had a couple of e92s 320d in the past i kept defaulting back to them, i had both a pre-LCI and LCI and while the rear lights were nice in the LCI, mine wasn't a business edition and everything else in my pre-LCI was better, also the older pre-LCI would be cheaper if i could find a low-ish mileage example.

Mid December i queued up a few to go and look at, had 6 on my list, seems no one was too pushed to sell, maybe no one could be bothered to meet coming up to christmas or whatever, but only managed to see 2 of the 6 by 4pm, they looked fine in the pics, but up close were horrific (Here's looking at you HURSTS used cars, boucher road).
The last on my list for the day I wasn't too pushed on seeing , it was a le-mans blue 2009 320d manual in Donaghadee, had aftermarket wheels which I wasn't fussed on and my first choice was white or red, but the mileage was low, so thought I would have a look.

Ryan at Automotion NI was dead on, was happy to arrange a time that suited me, called back when he said he would and met when he said he would, the car surprised me, it seemed pretty straight and honest, it had two owners from new, a father and son, it had a service history right up to date, and was to be serviced again for me to collect. The wheels were grim and all badges had been changed for carbon , the paint needed a good buff, all cosmetic and easily rectifiable. The interior was in great condition, it had heated & electric seats and HK audio with bluetooth phone prep.
Photos from the advert:

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Took it for a run, pulled well, the clutch felt fine , and importantly no crazy timing chain noises.
We agreed on a price to include a set of MV4s that the owner still had in his shed and a 6 month warranty from Momentum Warranties, and I collected her on the 19th dec.

About 75 uneventful miles and then I thought it would be nice to see if it would slide out across a big wide damp road, bit of a thud and then some violent shaking through the gear stick and I had destroyed the DMF. I was away with work for the first week of Jan so I left it in with a guy to do the work while I was gone, picking it up on the 11th Jan when I got back.

Clutch felt good again and no vibrations at idle through the gearstick, but now I was getting a slight vibration through the middle of the car, but only over 60mph. My assumption was one of the rears had dropped a wheel weight , and since I hated the rims anyway, I wasn't too worried for now.

Few more days and I hit a bit of a pothole and a front tyre burst a sidewall, a replacement was about £80 or so , for a set of rims I was ditching soon and I wasn't able to find a part worn in the right size easily. Browsing FB marketplace I found a set of 17” BMW rims with legal tyres for humble money and close to home , and headed right away to collect.

16.jpeg

This would let me get the old rims off the car to sell, get me a set of road legal rims to drive on in the meantime, and also let me try a new site of wheels on the car to see if a wheel imbalance was causing my vibration.

I had ordered a set of clear side repeaters to replace the black smoked LED ones, and a set of chrome kidney grilles to replace the gloss black ones. I think the le-mans blue needs the chrome to lift it , so swapped out the repeaters.

17.jpg

18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

22.jpg

Took a bit of time on Saturday and gave the car a good wash, the white side repeaters, and silver wheels really help it.

11.jpeg
15.jpeg
14.jpeg
13.jpeg
12.jpeg

Also topped the MV4s up to 40psi of air and dropped them into a tank of water to make sure they had no splits / cracks / leaks as they are notorious for it, especially with the runflats they come with from the factory, but all good and i headed to a local tyre place and got the tyres off the rims ready to refurb.

23.jpg

And this is a wee pic of an e93 (convertible) from detailing world , this is kind of the end goal

10.jpeg

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Changing the rims didn't fix the vibration at 60mph , so thats the priority now, there is a flex plate at each end of the prop shaft and a carrier bearing in the middle of it, those will be the first port of call for inspection, hopefully one of them will be the issue as that would be a straight forward fix.

Future plans include getting the chrome kidneys i have swapped in, transfer my plate onto it, get the MV4s refurbed and a set of michelins on and get them on the car, then see if she needs some lows and spacers.
I have new badges coming front and rear and it needs a thorough going over with the DA to lift the years of abuse off the paint. there is also one big dent that the PDR man could sort hopefully, its right in the middle of the bonnet.
She could do with the bumper and passenger mirror sprayed, but thats low down the list for now.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Packed the MV4s into the back of the car last night and dropped off at Polished alloys this morning, looking forward to seeing how they turn out

IMG_20230126_221017.jpg

IMG_20230126_221034.jpg

Looking at the bonnet in the sunlight i don't know if my skills with a DA will be up to it. it looks like someone has scrubbed at it with a scuffing pad of some sort, not through the laquer as far as i can tell, but def deep enough. Photos aren't great, but you get the idea

IMG_20230125_130743.jpg
IMG_20230125_130755.jpg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Can't make it much worse if you give it a go - happy to give it a pass for you some weekend or help out

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Biggest misconception is the old if I can’t catch my fingernail on it so it will buff out, all that relates to is the width of a scratch rather than the depth.

I doubt that will totally fix but you will certainly be able to tidy it up

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Biggest misconception is the old if I can’t catch my fingernail on it so it will buff out, all that relates to is the width of a scratch rather than the depth.

I doubt that will totally fix but you will certainly be able to tidy it up
yep, i suspect you are right, if i can take the bad look off it ill be happy, this is very much a daily, so it wont ever be perfect.
a load of swirls i would like to lessen too, we will see.

appreciate the offer @Boydie might well need your help if i make a hash :monkey:

dddrrift

RMS Regular
vibration will be the carrier bearing in the centre. The guibo discs at either end of the prop can literally be in tatters and still not vibrate. Easy enough to change

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
vibration will be the carrier bearing in the centre. The guibo discs at either end of the prop can literally be in tatters and still not vibrate. Easy enough to change
Exactly what I wanted to hear

David19

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
Def report back on how the rims turn out from Polished Alloys, thinking of using him myself.
Refrubed rims will set the car off nicely.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Yup will do, they guy said the beginning of next week, so decent turn around time.

Coming home tonight and I'm wondering is my vibration actually a sticky caliper at the rear, will need to investigate tomorrow.

David19

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
His Web site has been down for ages and I was wondering if he was still in business,so good to know he still is.
Maybe check out how hot the discs are getting.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
i recommend michael myself, does all mine too, he will have them turned around and ready in a day or so. runs a good wee operation up there, and not hard to pay!

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
His Web site has been down for ages and I was wondering if he was still in business,so good to know he still is.
Maybe check out how hot the discs are getting.
I had a look when I got home and no bluing to the discs really but in slow traffic when coasting to a stop it felt like I was dabbing the brakes at just as the car came to a standstill, and the rears are caked in brake dust , and MPG has dropped all of a sudden , may just be as well as all the other issues 😂

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Nice one Simon. I’d nearly a deal done on a 320d E90 before I bought the CLK but the guy just disappeared lol

Hopefully the issues you’re having will be easy sorted

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Nice one Simon. I’d nearly a deal done on a 320d E90 before I bought the CLK but the guy just disappeared lol

Hopefully the issues you’re having will be easy sorted
Yes hopefully so, I think it's just a lack of maintenance in the last few years and the car is at an age where all the ware and tare items are getting tired together.

Ha, yea I know, buying was weird, it was as if folk had zero interest in selling. No replies , or basic replies, arranging a viewing seemed like a hassle etc. 🤷‍♂️

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Opinion of the masses, chrome or black on the lemans blue ? Not ideal that the badge is missing but...

IMG_20230128_095754.jpg
IMG_20230128_095759.jpg

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Chrome for me too I think , handy changed back if I don't like it

IMG_20230128_110606.jpg

Have the old wheels washed and ready for a barrage of halfwitt enquiries from marketplace

IMG_20230128_111318.jpg

And picked these up for the front of the MV4s , thanks to @Ruairi83, and to @Boydie and his parents for facilitating the collection 😉

IMG_20230128_111520.jpg

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Wheels were ready from Polished Alloys on Monday lunch time , (left in Fri morning) so very quick turnaround.

IMG_20230131_090727.jpg
IMG_20230131_090735.jpg
IMG_20230131_090741.jpg
IMG_20230131_090746.jpg

Need to source a couple of Michelin's for the rear and then get them on the car