4x4 under £3k

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
One offered will be for sale in a few weeks, black on black 112k, really like them but unsure it’s sensible

I’ve called about a few Tucsons today, no answers though
If you pass on it could you pm the details? Been looking myself.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
On my way to look at a Freelander 2 with 129k on it, looks tidy in the pics and in budget, what should I be looking out for on these?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Central locking and alarm issues, make sure it all locks on the remote. Cambelts needs done between 70 and 140K so may or may not have been done, obvs better if it has been done. Any rear diff noises or indications on the dash of 4wd issues. Rear diff failures are rare on the FL2 but some have gone. Transmission noises in general. Check electric handbrake is working ok if it has one, pre facelift ones don't have it.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Central locking and alarm issues, make sure it all locks on the remote. Cambelts needs done between 70 and 140K so may or may not have been done, obvs better if it has been done. Any rear diff noises or indications on the dash of 4wd issues. Rear diff failures are rare on the FL2 but some have gone. Transmission noises in general. Check electric handbrake is working ok if it has one, pre facelift ones don't have it.

Thanks, made contact, on my way, now they want me to leave it to the weekend as there’s a ‘wee whistle from the intercooler and don’t have tome to look at it’ jog on, not going near, I hate buying cars!!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
TBF, mine has always been a bit whistly from we got it with 10k on it. The lower boost pipe has to be removed to get at the oil filter and wasn't done up correctly when I first went to change the oil so it might well be that. Cars 'of a certain age' can be a nightmare right enough, totally sympathise.

colin84

RMS Regular
One offered will be for sale in a few weeks, black on black 112k, really like them but unsure it’s sensible

That's reasonable mileage for one, if you get a good one they are decent, but there is so much scrap out there it's unreal. Folks buying them for the flash because they are cheap now, but not being able to maintain them. Long list of expensive things to go wrong even on a good one, including the auto box. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Robert

RMS Trader

Coming from someone who has owned a 2004 3.0d for over 10 years....

They have their faults, show me something like this that hasn’t, I have put 80k on mine during ownership and have had ups and downs but overall I’m not complaining. The good points are they are now old technology so don’t have dpf to worry about, there are loads of them breaking, new parts are widely available and there is loads of back up for diy fixes and repairs online. In my opinion they are a great engine, yes the gearbox can be problematic, mine touch wood had been ok up to this point (150k). Other things I have replaced include rear differential, exhaust manifold, door handle carriers, amp refurb, cv boots, battery, coolant header tank, glow plugs and control module, various suspension components, subframe bushes, gearbox wiring plug seal and probably other small things that I have forgotten about.
Nowadays they are a lot of value, but as already mentioned it’s hard to get a good one, if the one you have been offered is within your budget then it’s probably not far away price wise.
In my opinion they are a far superior car for buying with a bit of age on them compared to an E70, a Range Rover with the BMW engine is another consideration, but worse fuel consumption, slower, and even more chocolate gearbox.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Are 05/06 3.0 X5s actually any use?
No, complete junk. Aside from the diffs blowing up and the head melting gearboxes, everything about them is just far too expensive to repair (which is often) and they're not that pleasant to drive.
I'm using one as my daily right now and if it wasn't for the heated seats it would be in pieces already.
I've three Discovery IIs as well and I find them to be a much better driving experience, actual 4x4 usability without being completely terrible to drive like every pickup ever. One like my facelift with heated leather and working C/L makes for something that is even reasonably wife-friendly. It did take me months to find this one though, most of them are rough and hard used nowadays owing to that very capability and road manners.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Freelander on fb marketplace. Bangor 49 95

Way over budget!

Just back from looking at a freelander2 hse, couldn’t fault it mechanically, actually drove well, the rear door was rotten, more primer showing on the passenger aide than black paint and the fob didn’t work, asked him if it locked, he got in, closed the door and presses the button to lock it lolol It just wasn’t for me, another wasted long trip!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
If you are looking at a FL1, might be an idea to talk to @Colin although he's not been on here in a while. He's had a few as in his thread:
Well sadly I had to sell my much beloved mk4 Golf estate recently as it had a few emotional memories that i wanted to let go for good. Crap pictures im sorry, but will take some more when i collect it later in the month. So i was in the market for something and had looked at everything from 406 Coupes to Focus etc, and totally out of the blue I found this for sale. (y)

-image-002.jpg

-image-001jpg.jpg

Its a 2002 MG ZT+ with the all important...... 2500cc 24v V6! "AnthraciteBlack with grey pearl" according to the VIN database but comments already have been passed that its like a Batmobile. :cool:

Not the 190bhp, the 160bhp version but engines are identical bar the 190 cams, air intake setup, remap and stainless system so it could make an interesting result to swop some bits over eventually. Credit crunch for the win, 30mpg realisticially also as I do mostly motorway miles when i do drive.

Full service history, going to have a full new MOT also on the 27th all for under two grand. Car was originally owned by some management type in England and is in fantastic condition, electric pack, air con etc and has the proper Alancantra cloth trim along with the half leather, Rhidion grey dash, several optional extras pack have been ticked along with the mk2 V8 rims which I like a lot. (y)

Really smitten with the motor, plus its my first V6

davyk31

RMS Regular
I have had both E53 and E70 X5s. They were both on 20” wheels and were the scariest things I have ever driven in icy conditions. My wife was totally scared of them as they just would not stop even at very low speeds. I had winters on 19” wheels on the E70 which helped a bit but didn’t remove the issue. They are just too big and heavy and I mean it would just slip forward at walking pace and would only stop when it wanted to.
My money if 4x4 would be the smaller size like RAV4, CRV, Tucson etc. Hard to beat the Japanese and Korean reliability, would avoid the notorious poor reliability of JLR products.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Just buy that rx400h. 30 odd mpg for something that big and quick is pretty good, reliable as well and not a stinking derv.
Agreed, but to be fair ive really come round to FL1’s, they are ridiculously cheap amd actually get decent mpg

colin84

RMS Regular
Just buy that rx400h. 30 odd mpg for something that big and quick is pretty good, reliable as well and not a stinking derv.

Weak gearbox though, in an otherwise solid car. I've seen so many at the auctions with gearbox issues.

Worse is as the Nissan Murano, these days there is more broken ones for sale than not.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Weak gearbox though, in an otherwise solid car. I've seen so many at the auctions with gearbox issues.

Worse is as the Nissan Murano, these days there is more broken ones for sale than not.
What miles? Yank ones on 200 plus k miles. Probably folk not changing the oil when they’re supposed to or towing.
Rx300s had crap gearboxes not the rx400h.