A4 @ 18?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mmc01

RMS Regular
wanting to change the car sometime between now and xmas, is there anyone on here that is insured on a 130bhp a4 or similar? will insurance companies allow it? currently under my mums name at 1400 odd quid a year on a 110 leon, insurance to be renewed at the end of nov..
another option is a ep2 civic, but with me doing over 500 mile a week and getting cheap derv im tempted to head to an a4 and any decent spec ones are all 130 6 speeds..

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
To be honest your mental. Get a years NCB under your belt in your own name and accept its going to be something like a 1.4 HDi 206 etc for a year or two.

The difference it makes to insurance is huge long term and by the time your 20 you could be insuring that Audi for sub £800 a year then in your own name.

Everyone will tell you the same and to be honest, considering the cost of living, what would you do if you wiped out your mums NCB this year if you had an accident etc?

Your on the road,first year, fair play, now pay your own way mate, you will reap the benefits long term.

At 18 over ten years agoafter being on my mums policy, i was paying £1800 for a citroen ax 1.0 4 speed as my first car insurance policy 3rd party fire and theft so believe me ive been there and worked hard to keep it on the road.

nathan46

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 420d
i agree with macgyver on this, stick to a smaller engined car for the first couple of years in your own name, its better in the long run

corsacj

RMS Regular
Mac, its a different ball game now. 1.2 corsa in my own name, cheapest was around 4 grand no matter what i did and most places didnt want to know. Now at £1600 under my mums name. In your own name in ANYTHING is damn near impossible now

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
If thats the case then stick with what you have, and save towards your own insurance and car for the year after. Or get a project and work on it for a year or two.

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
As said, insurance is next to impossible to get in your own name, and if you do, it's mortgage money per year.
I'll be under my mums name til I hit 21, and I don't use her ncb so it's not her problem if I wipe the car out..

What I'm asking is the jump of 20bhp and an extra gear a no no for insurance? Is my insurance likely to drop on the Leon?

Marc

RMS Moderator
As said, insurance is next to impossible to get in your own name, and if you do, it's mortgage money per year.
I'll be under my mums name til I hit 21, and I don't use her ncb so it's not her problem if I wipe the car out..

What I'm asking is the jump of 20bhp and an extra gear a no no for insurance? Is my insurance likely to drop on the Leon?

get some online quotes.. that will give you the answer you need

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Insurance is hard now mate, at 19 i was paying £3800 to insure a Corsa Sport TPFT. Now i have a 306 D-Turbo and paying just over 2500. Most people wouldnt pay that kinda money but iv just bit the bullet and went for it, it'll only pay off in a few years with the NCB.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2

You wont get a 'no no' you'l just get abit of a scare when you see the price. When i was 18 i tried to go on my dads policy for a Type R, and cheapest i got was 12k.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini

its not the 20bhp or the extra gear, its the badge on the bonnet

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
get some online quotes.. that will give you the answer you need

Already Have and don't believe online quotes.. When I got the leon it was coming up over 3k for my current set up, done through a private broker at less than half of that..

Suppose the only way to find out is ring this week, just hoping to find someone with a little experience..

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
Why for the love of God would you want a diesel family saloon at the age of 18? Do that when you're old and decrepit like tbdevpaul.

40+ mpg 5 proper seats (can't fit more than 3 people in the Leon) cracking looking car with the right mods, the list goes on..

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
As far as im aware, the A4 when compared to the leon should be similar to insure if not easier,

Generally saloon cars have a lower risk rating than hatchbacks as generally young people dont drive/write off saloons

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
What about a 1.9TDI A4? They used the same engine in A3s and it produced 105bhp, might well be easier on your insurance? I'm 20 and my insurance was 2300 last year on a 120bhp a3, so you wont get any cheaper on that spec a4

A re-map would sharpen it up a bit aswell

I'm with coog though, do you really need a saloon?!

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
a4's actually have quite poor rear legroom, im only 6'2" and whoever sits behind me gets crushed legs! but great car, and good MPG in diesel, mine is 1.9tdi, 150bhp (remap)

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Try a Bora TDI 130, they are handier to insure. Axa insured me on my old one at 18 no problem. I loved mine, they are great cars.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
I have a B7 A4 S-Line 2.0TDI 140, was only 20 when I bought it and I am insured fully comp in my own name for £992. As said previously, rear leg room isn't great but they are still a fantastic car. If you can afford it then go for it!

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
Should you be on your mums insurance if you are doing 500 miles a week?

Doubt it, who's to know?

As for the 105 brake variants, they seem to be much fresher and more expensive. All 03/04 ones I've been looking at are 130bhp 6 speeds..

Don't think id go for a bora, only derv I'd want is an a4 or an a3..

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I had a PD130 Audi A4 insured at 18 through Quinn, but that was as a second car as I already had a £2500 policy running with them for my Clio, but that was some 6 years ago.

Its not out of the question, but insurance will be the deciding factor.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
flip i thought my insurance was bad???? ive just turned 22 i insured a mercedes c220 for around £1000 last year, in a 306 hdi estate now and looking at 600quid to renew i thought that was dear obvisously not! I drove a passat 110 tdi when i was 20 there and it was costing me around the same as the mercedes so in and around 1000 so shouldnt be that bad surely!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.