A4 or 508 or 3 series

Dave123

RMS Member
Have been looking for a while at rehousing my current car which is overdue a change.

Looking at the above brands/models. Preferably diesel and probably manual.

It seems you can get a 2019 508 (face-lift) for the same price as a 2016/2017 A4. Not really sold on a 3 series, but it is in the reckoning.

4series is a bit sportty/boy-racer plus higher ins group. Would also consider an A5.

How does the 508 stack up? I'd put comfort and cabin refinement/quietness over performance.

I could spend up to about £16k, but if I could get something older around the £12k would be better, although that would full or a 508.

Would be doing couple of hundred miles per week commute with little social use.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
I haven't experienced any first hand but I own/have owned Peugeots of this era, and although I love the tiny wheel, some can't get on with the driving position so sit in one and see how it feels for yourself, quality wise our 2008 has a more premium feel than Peugeots of past, but some materials probably let it down slightly compared to a bmw or Audi. In terms of looks (subjective I know) but the 508 would be my pick, however I love French stuff so I'm in the minority!

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Skoda Superb Sportline. Very comfy for commuting, excellent mpg and a well thought out interior.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
5161.jpeg
IMG_2699.jpeg
Skoda Superb Sportline. Very comfy for commuting, excellent mpg and a well thought out interior.
Having had both a Superb Sportline and now a BMW 3 series G20 I’d have to say the BMW. I’ve been a Skoda man through and through but BMW is the superior car, but maybe above budget.
The Superb does nothing wrong but can feel a bit cost cutting in some places, boot is massive as is rear leg room, but a G20 BMW is about the size now of the older 5 series! 1.5 TSI engine in the Superb is a good donkey too, decent MPG and 140k belt intervals now.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
If its one of your original 3, having owned both an A4 & 3 series I'd go for a 3 series. 508 might be better value for money in terms of age/miles/tech, but depends what you want in a car, BM will be the best driving of that lot.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Not a A4 but very similar cabin, I had an A5 for a couple of years.

It was very comfortable, quiet and refined. A truly effortless place to eat up the miles in comfort. During my ownership it never had a problem either, just required servicing.

If comfort, refinement and quality are your main requirements the Audi would be the pick of your choices for me. Somewhat predictable, but there is a reason for that.

Dave123

RMS Member
OP
D
If its one of your original 3, having owned both an A4 & 3 series I'd go for a 3 series. 508 might be better value for money in terms of age/miles/tech, but depends what you want in a car, BM will be the best driving of that lot.
All I want is comfort on my commute and a decent mpg. Not interested in power etc as my current car was more then quick enough.

Boring, I know.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
I had a 508 out for a test drive a while back as I quite like the look of them, it was loaded with tech but my legs kept getting in the way of the flat steering wheel and the auto gearbox was down right agricultural feeling, clunky and changing gears at weird times.

I was really disappointed tbh

Dave123

RMS Member
OP
D
Not a A4 but very similar cabin, I had an A5 for a couple of years.

It was very comfortable, quiet and refined. A truly effortless place to eat up the miles in comfort. During my ownership it never had a problem either, just required servicing.

If comfort, refinement and quality are your main requirements the Audi would be the pick of your choices for me. Somewhat predictable, but there is a reason for that.

I thought audi had a stiff suspension setup or is that a particular variant - s-line is it?

I had a 508 out for a test drive a while back as I quite like the look of them, it was loaded with tech but my legs kept getting in the way of the flat steering wheel and the auto gearbox was down right agricultural feeling, clunky and changing gears at weird times.

I was really disappointed tbh
I'd probably only go for manual 508 which I think limits it to the 1.5hdi?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I thought audi had a stiff suspension setup or is that a particular variant - s-line is it?

My A5 was an S-Line, suspension setup was grand.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h

It was the 1.6 petrol hybrid I tested, power seemed to be plenty for a cruiser. If you're 6ft3 or more the wheel will be a problem, go get a test drive anyway

Dave123

RMS Member
OP
D
What about an Alfa Romeo Giulia?
It’ll probably break your heart but it’ll be worth it just for how it looks.
Much better than any drab German barge.
View attachment 432546

Giulia is beyond my price range - unfortunately.
It was the 1.6 petrol hybrid I tested, power seemed to be plenty for a cruiser. If you're 6ft3 or more the wheel will be a problem, go get a test drive anyway
Nowhere near 6'3 unfortunately so that'll not be a problem.

Dave123

RMS Member
OP
D
What are the Audi & BMW like to drive in winter - is quattro/x-drive models worth the premium for those of us in rural areas?

Just seen a Merc CLA on with a nearby dealer - CLA220 2.1. Any thoughts on these? It would be nearer my price point.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
If cabin comfort is main priority, I'd say these are hard to beat for the ££

Haven't had any experience of the 508, but I can't get on with the in laws A4 B9, pedals/steering wheel don't seem to be in line and always sitting at a twist. Always get out of it in a long journey thinking that wasn't comfortable.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
What are the Audi & BMW like to drive in winter - is quattro/x-drive models worth the premium for those of us in rural areas?

Just seen a Merc CLA on with a nearby dealer - CLA220 2.1. Any thoughts on these? It would be nearer my price point.
Not that spacious and the narrow back doors make putting car seats in a PITA. May not be a factor for you though

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Having driven all 3 not owned but driven them for prolonged periods my view is for looks a4 , I prefer the driving of a bmw over an a4 I think your either an Audi person or bmw , but for comfort , tech, and up the years 100 per cent the better buy is the 508. But who we kidding everyone will still probably buy an a4 s-line 😂

Dave123

RMS Member
OP
D
Having driven all 3 not owned but driven them for prolonged periods my view is for looks a4 , I prefer the driving of a bmw over an a4 I think your either an Audi person or bmw , but for comfort , tech, and up the years 100 per cent the better buy is the 508. But who we kidding everyone will still probably buy an a4 s-line 😂

Are you saying the 2019 onwards 508 is as more comfortable ride than a 2016/17 A4?

Are the auto boxes any good in the A4 or A5? I've only driven manual, but for commuting into Belfast an auto might result in less fatigue.
Speaking of auto boxes how do they behave in snow and when towing?

I've spent most of today looking at cars and I think it might be down to these three. Flirted briefly with a Jag XE/XF with 2.0D, but I read some threads on it which have put me off them. Not overly fussed on a 3-Series - for no reason other than a lot of the young local eejits have them now! 4 series seem okay, some a bit too racy for my tastes, but the 4 door versions seem better.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Are you saying the 2019 onwards 508 is as more comfortable ride than a 2016/17 A4?

Are the auto boxes any good in the A4 or A5? I've only driven manual, but for commuting into Belfast an auto might result in less fatigue.
Speaking of auto boxes how do they behave in snow and when towing?

I've spent most of today looking at cars and I think it might be down to these three. Flirted briefly with a Jag XE/XF with 2.0D, but I read some threads on it which have put me off them. Not overly fussed on a 3-Series - for no reason other than a lot of the young local eejits have them now! 4 series seem okay, some a bit too racy for my tastes, but the 4 door versions seem better.
Maybe personal choice but yeah a 508 any age will be more comfortable for sure , I find Audis very hard on the road especially if you go for s-line and realistically why would you not. If it’s comfort your after then 508 imo. But test drive them, and not just round the block take it for a good 20/30 minute drive to be sure and you’ll see for yourself which one you prefer

BMW wise yeah, I looked at a new car there about 6 weeks ago, and I was looking at a4/a6,3 series and the Alfas. I could not find a decent m-sport 3 series , and the ones I did had those awful non bmw alloys on it which put me off.

Jag xe’s are beaut but I hear a lot of fellas I know work on them quite regularly 😂 wouldn’t put me off though as a lot of car for the money

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
Just to throw in a curve ball, Lexus IS300h? I'm maybe slightly biased since I have one but they're a great car. They don't go wrong with annual maintenance, great drive and comfort and ~45+ mpg.

You could get up to 2019 with your budget but if you went 2017 it's only a tenner tax for the year.

Only downside is it's a saloon so the boot access is limited, otherwise very spacious.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
B9 A4 is a big step forward from the B8 from a comfort perspective IMO provided you steer clear of the s-line.

Dave123

RMS Member
OP
D
B9 A4 is a big step forward from the B8 from a comfort perspective IMO provided you steer clear of the s-line.
What variant is the one to go for then - SE? Is it just the S-Line or also the Black, S & RS?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What variant is the one to go for then - SE? Is it just the S-Line or also the Black, S & RS?

Sport had the smaller wheels, bigger tyres and softer suspension. Thought it was a great motor. 2016 on.

Dave123

RMS Member
OP
D
Don't think the c class is in the mix for me. Not fussed on its looks. Bland.
CLA is still in mix though, based on its looks only!