Accident advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
long story short ,a driver caught the side of a car the other night on the ice covered road.i have spoke to the owner who I know and wondered if I pay for the repair who decides who repairs the car.I have a company to repair it but can the other party demand somewhere else.with both of us living close to each other I don't want any bad feelings but also don't want to get screwed .

Ghost

RMS Regular
long story short ,a driver caught the side of a car the other night on the ice covered road.i have spoke to the owner who I know and wondered if I pay for the repair who decides who repairs the car.I have a company to repair it but can the other party demand somewhere else.with both of us living close to each other I don't want any bad feelings but also don't want to get screwed .

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
Guy driving for me hit parked car.totally his fault .skidded on ice .

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
IMO It's only right he decides where his car is repaired and you pay the bill.

If your unhappy with this then let insurance sort it.

If it was my car (and it did happen me previously) the person wouldn't let me decide where it was to be fixed so I let the insurance sort it.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
IMO It's only right he decides where his car is repaired and you pay the bill.

If your unhappy with this then let insurance sort it.

If it was my car (and it did happen me previously) the person wouldn't let me decide where it was to be fixed so I let the insurance sort it.
There is really only 2 local body shops near us and one is a friend of mine .Of coarse he went to the other one today for a quote :worried:.Just wasn't sure who choose we're it went ,thanks.(y)

Walder

RMS Regular
I would second that, the one who is hit / damaged not at fault decides were it goes.

As I wouldnt want anyone deciding the finish on the car.

Just get it repaired and when it is done get him signed and acknowledge the invoice / all damage is repaired. I would be inclined to have him state he is suffered no injuries either.

Hand him a photocopy of it and that's that in my opinion

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
^ -- Re stating no injuries suffered, if it came to it would their side not say "well they are not a doctor and are unqualified to confirm that?"

Walder

RMS Regular
I think they can state since the accident they have suffered no pain or injury that has required them to seek medical attention. It has not affected the personal nor working life.

At least this would negate an injury claim to some extent. As they are stating there is no change I circumstance and to link an injury to the collision would be impressive as it has been a few weeks and their is no change in their day to day life.

I know what I would be doing.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wording on such things usually state that they are in acceptance of a full and final settlement in all aspects relating to the incident which would include injury etc.

But no doubt there are always circumstances and lawyers who will try and rip it apart to get a claim in if they wanted to be dishonest.

Ge0rge

Banned
he said the car was parked up, would needed to be some force to shunt it through the front of the house into the living room to hit them and suffer injury

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
he said the car was parked up, would needed to be some force to shunt it through the front of the house into the living room to hit them and suffer injury

When all those dodgy barristers get hold of it.....the entire family could have been in the car at the time !

Ge0rge

Banned
had a bump just before christmas in the X5, i was fully commited in the lane when a guy swerved in and brushed his rear bumper against my front bumper, i stopped gave my details but thinking in the back of my head im 99% sure he was at fault, no damage to my jeep at all not a scratch but his bumper was pushed in, we were blocking the road so i said sure just text or call me with your details they were an older couple and seemed genuine, told them the name of the guy i use and told them i could get it fixed to a high standard and would contribute even though i wasnt sure i was in any way to blame at all, waited and waited all over christmas and nothing so i assumed they had went ahead and fixed it then last week got a letter from his insurance company stating that their initial investigation suggested im at fault and they would be in touch soon with their "outlay" ? im guessing this is what they are paying to repair it? no sooner had i read the letter i got a phone call from my insurance company asking was i driving and why didnt i report it at the time, i explained it was because i thought the fella was gonna sort it himself as it was his fault and there was no damage to my jeep so im guessing armchair lawyers got involved, whiplash etc try and blame me, this was all after me being fair at the side of the road saying id be willing to contribute even pay to keep it away from insurance even though im certain he was at fault as a non fault marker can still raise insurance i said look here's a number or take it to some one else you would prefer and let me know, i thought they had done the right thing and fixed it themselves, anyone know what will happen from here? im still waiting on some kind of accident pack from insurance company to fill in and send back

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
@Ge0rge by offering to pay, it sounds like you were accepting some sort of liability for the accident. Im not saying it was in anyway your fault, but that's how it will come across. I think its generally accepted that if there is an accident which you think in any way could come back to you, ring your insurance company and the police to log the incident. Hope it works out for you but sadly it will be your word v the other party so can see it going 50:50.

Ge0rge

Banned
@Ge0rge by offering to pay, it sounds like you were accepting some sort of liability for the accident. Im not saying it was in anyway your fault, but that's how it will come across. I think its generally accepted that if there is an accident which you think in any way could come back to you, ring your insurance company and the police to log the incident. Hope it works out for you but sadly it will be your word v the other party so can see it going 50:50.

So 50:50 they can still try claim personal injury?

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
Drives
GT4
had a bump just before christmas in the X5, i was fully commited in the lane when a guy swerved in and brushed his rear bumper against my front bumper, i stopped gave my details but thinking in the back of my head im 99% sure he was at fault, no damage to my jeep at all not a scratch but his bumper was pushed in, we were blocking the road so i said sure just text or call me with your details they were an older couple and seemed genuine, told them the name of the guy i use and told them i could get it fixed to a high standard and would contribute even though i wasnt sure i was in any way to blame at all, waited and waited all over christmas and nothing so i assumed they had went ahead and fixed it then last week got a letter from his insurance company stating that their initial investigation suggested im at fault and they would be in touch soon with their "outlay" ? im guessing this is what they are paying to repair it? no sooner had i read the letter i got a phone call from my insurance company asking was i driving and why didnt i report it at the time, i explained it was because i thought the fella was gonna sort it himself as it was his fault and there was no damage to my jeep so im guessing armchair lawyers got involved, whiplash etc try and blame me, this was all after me being fair at the side of the road saying id be willing to contribute even pay to keep it away from insurance even though im certain he was at fault as a non fault marker can still raise insurance i said look here's a number or take it to some one else you would prefer and let me know, i thought they had done the right thing and fixed it themselves, anyone know what will happen from here? im still waiting on some kind of accident pack from insurance company to fill in and send back

Feel for you, obviously got a quote and realised it wasn't a cheap fix.. This is why i have a dash cam!

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I recently had a car slightly damaged while it was parked outside my house (I wasn't in it) but the driver of mother car did stop.
I used CRASH as I wanted it fixed properly (the other party wasn't too concerned about my danage)....
CRASH were brilliant and I'd always use them again if an accident wasn't my fault.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D

Same happened to me when a van overtook me whilst I was turning years ago ... 50/50 split

I had started to maneuver with indicator on and he came flying up the road and went to overtake

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
So 50:50 they can still try claim personal injury?
No idea on the legal intricacies but I cant see why not? Total monetary amount of the claim = your car + their car + any injuries all divided by 2, between each insurance company. No idea if this is how it actually works though. But where there is no evidence pointing to either party being clearly at fault, cant see how else it will go.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Feel for you, obviously got a quote and realised it wasn't a cheap fix.. This is why i have a dash cam!

Absolutely...dashcam and make sure you save anything of interest ! Even the slightest thing, even if it means saving days, weeks or months worth !

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Same happened to me when a van overtook me whilst I was turning years ago ... 50/50 split

I had started to maneuver with indicator on and he came flying up the road and went to overtake

Exact same thing happened to me only it was a woman hit me. She was found 100% at fault.

No rhyme nor reason to their decisions, they do whatever they like.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.