Advice needed - Clutch has went on 2016 Discovery Sport

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The general public drive the direction of legislation.
Take the emission stuff, say there was no legislation, OEMs just made the car as cheap as possible and it could spew out as much diesel emissions as they wanted.
Wouldn't take too long before they were in court with a class action and sued out of existence for making a product that's scientifically prove to produce cancerous fumes.

China didn't give two fiddlers for emissions laws for a long time however they found that people in cities preferred to be able to see the sky and not choke or die and stuff. Hence they are going other way now.

Except creating such silly emissions rules, where it then creates very unreliable vehicles with even less reliable emissions control systems that people then bypass....renders the whole thing pointless.

Same as a clutch...emissions controls need to be fit for purpose. If they cant be reliable for the life of the vehicle without owners having to spend thousands....then they cannot be fit for purpose.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I agree with @stevieturbo on the DMF thing. There is damn all difference between DMF and no DMF, so much as it becomes imperceptible after a few days. The advantages of the DMF are massively outweighed by the negatives - for example it wont fly to ****ing pieces and puncture the gearbox casing, severing the starter feed and causing it to short on the engine and set the whole bloody car on fire like happened to my mum when she bought her one and only new car.

veron

RMS Regular
OP
veron
Drives
335d
UPDATE…

So Donnellys didn't budge nor back down. Insisted it was "wear and tear" and charged £1700 for a new clutch and flywheel. A bit disappointed. Have lodged a complaint with Land Rover UK but I'm not holding out much hope.
Thanks for advice all.

Reactions: DC.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
UPDATE…

So Donnellys didn't budge nor back down. Insisted it was "wear and tear" and charged £1700 for a new clutch and flywheel. A bit disappointed. Have lodged a complaint with Land Rover UK but I'm not holding out much hope.
Thanks for advice all.

:cold_sweat:

Couldn't you have saved some money going to an independent?

veron

RMS Regular
OP
veron
Drives
335d
He was scared to go elsewhere incase Land Rover UK wouldn't intervene. He still holding out hope he might get 50% back or something.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Very disappointing result. Ridiculous really. No offer of even slight goodwill even? My A6 had one at 19000 miles and 18 months old done under warranty with the previous owner.

Jason

RMS Regular
They cracked a friend of mines new Evoques pano roof trying to fix the aerial (and tried to hide it!). Never answered his call for 2 weeks till they tried to cheese wire the old roof off and put a new one on, said it'll be good as new! He told them to get a new Evoque ordered and do what they want with the old one!

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Donnellys really do come across as a hateful shower of shïte. After how they treated @jonny_w and now you they can’t be doing themselves many favours with their reputation

Exactly Ross, I would say if people knew what they are really like they wouldn’t be near them. I also got an email with details on it that they wet themselves over meant for someone else lol

Reminds me I must touch base with LR UK again as I put in an official complaint.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Disappointing that there wasn’t as much as an offer of some good will from Donnelly’s. They obviously aren’t interested in repeat custom...

RolyaT

RMS Regular
Drives
people mad
My parents received similar treatment from them about ten years ago after they bought a new discovery, safe to say we'd never go back near them again.

veron

RMS Regular
OP
veron
Drives
335d
This is his 4th Land Rover from Donnellys. Everyone he knows around the Armagh area goes to TP Topping. Now I know why! Needless to say, when time comes to change, he'll be heading to Enniskillen!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Do what others in similar circumstances have done....Wasnt there a guy with a Transit some time ago who had several engines, and in the end he got the van stickered up to highlight the bad service and unreliable engines etc and parked it outside the dealer.

So get it stickered up giving a brief detail of them not honouring warranty on a 17k vehicle so everyone can know about them.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
This is his 4th Land Rover from Donnellys. Everyone he knows around the Armagh area goes to TP Topping. Now I know why! Needless to say, when time comes to change, he'll be heading to Enniskillen!
TP are no longer a LRUK dealer, haven't been for some time now

colin84

RMS Regular
Do what others in similar circumstances have done....Wasnt there a guy with a Transit some time ago who had several engines, and in the end he got the van stickered up to highlight the bad service and unreliable engines etc and parked it outside the dealer.

So get it stickered up giving a brief detail of them not honouring warranty on a 17k vehicle so everyone can know about them.

My Granda done it with Mercedes and his 5 year old Sprinter that was rusting from the inside out. After he was done with hassling them, they finally agreed to sort the van after he threatend to sticker it up and park it accross there front doors with the wheels removed, which he was serious about.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I didn't know that! Where else in NI is then? Just Hursts?
They are an approved service centre only and will buy used stock from UK, Hurst and Donnelly I think.

They needed to upgrade facilities to meet LR standards a year or two ago and the spend required was severe at best and as such are no longer a franchise due to not being able/willing to invest what I can imagine was a million or two to hold onto the brand.

I stand corrected on the details but that's what I was led to believe

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

Mmmm, if you seen what goes on in there as well you might think different

But as said they haven’t been a dealership for maybe 1-2 years now but can still get you knew vehicle oddly.

They are just an Official LR Service Centre now

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Maybe ask BLRC for advice if you’re stuck for ideas? Would do no harm.

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
I agree with @stevieturbo on the DMF thing. There is damn all difference between DMF and no DMF, so much as it becomes imperceptible after a few days. The advantages of the DMF are massively outweighed by the negatives - for example it wont fly to ****ing pieces and puncture the gearbox casing, severing the starter feed and causing it to short on the engine and set the whole bloody car on fire like happened to my mum when she bought her one and only new car.

I used to flog DMFs and they are a total piece of ****, just a moneymaking scam, take something like the old 406, the 90bhp had a solid flywheel and the 110 had a DMF, they drove identically, sure the 90bhp had issues with the ****ty PSA thrust bearings but it was a he'll of a lot cheaper to replace the whole clutch than a clutch and DMF.

I remember pricing a flywheel for a 2.2 CDTI Accord, the OE one is made by LuK, in the OE box it was over a grand, in Blueprint it was just under 600 and in LuK it was under 300.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I didn't know that! Where else in NI is then? Just Hursts?

Must just be Hursts and Donnelly's. When my dad was buying his Evoque, none of the 3 then dealers here really wanted to know, ended up buying in England, had first service in Hursts and said he would never be back. BLRC has done all work since.
He has said he would never have another Land Rover, not because of the car, but because of how bad the dealer network is here.

wiggee

RMS Regular
Drives
4 x 4
If you are having the clutch replaced , ask for a health check video showing it in place , fly wheel movement and when removed if there's doubt in your mind or the technician then get an independent involved the i.e. The a.a. Or reputable engineer , if they state it's fault of part etc warranty should cover the repair might cost a few hundred pounds but maybe claimable back through warranty also .

. If it's driver error then I'd imagine it'll be visable from pics i.e. Burnt discs etc etc

veron

RMS Regular
OP
veron
Drives
335d
Another UPDATE!!

Got the car back. £1700 out of pocket. LR UK got back in touch with an extremely stern and short email saying it was "assessed by a technician and deemed to be wear and tear". But that wasn't the end of it. 3 weeks they had it. Asked for a courtesy car but told they didn't have one. Didn't press them as we have a few cars in the family.

Since he got the jeep back its been having a rasping noise and seems like its in limp mode today. Plus, difficulty selecting first gear since he got it back. On route to Dealership now. Not happy.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.