Alignment done in Coleraine

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

JTDi

RMS Regular
As per my PM, I have attached the picture of how the car was left after the alignment was carried out. This is where the wheel had to be positioned for the car to drive straight.

image.jpeg

Jason

RMS Regular
Same thing happened me after Antrim and Coleraine tried to do it, save your money and go to JB Tyres Tobermore!

RevT

RMS Regular
Yep he's in the US and no plans of him returning from what I hear. I've been down a few times since for alignments and had to get others to do it, still turned out perfect though.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
As said above. Drove to jb tobermore
From Derry as place in Derry did it
4 times and no better. Jb did it in one go and perfect since...

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
Hello @JTDi
Neil here from Kerrs, I just want to apologise on your steering wheel not being central, after the alignment had been carried out.
I can understand how frustrating that would have been. Though you should of given us a phone and let us known and we would of rectified the problem. I was speaking to Tim our manager of our Coleraine Centre, he remembers the car and it says it was off the scale before the alignment was carried out. As there was a new track rod fitted and to call back in a few days if it needs a tweek, as the alignment was so far out.
We also now calibrate our Alignment equipment monthly in all of our centres. We also align(set the geometry on) many performance and even rally/race cars etc daily. Unfortunately we are all human and one or two can slip through that aren't left to our normal high standards that we aim to achieve.
I want to offer you a full refund and will even post it out to yourself. To save you from travelling to our centre to collect it. (If you PM your address)
If you also decide you would like to replace your rear tyres. Give me a PM and I will do my upmost to look after you price wise.

Regards
Neil

Last edited:

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
After visiting Coleraine Kerrs, my wife's car was exactly the same.
Said the machine wouldnt work properly so they would have to do it by eye.
Took 4 attempts to get it close to being right.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Can't say I've had the same experience, I had the E36 done yesterday by the Coleraine branch and it was perfect. Especially considering not one setting was correct when I handed them the keys :innocent:

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
This doesn't surprise me, I've had a bad experience with Kerrs recently that's left me feeling even embarrassed I recommended them so highly and would send my family members there.
First off all have to say that Noel is great down at the Ards branch, but these guys are in my opinion becoming a victim of their own success and starting to rush jobs and making mistakes.

So I had asked my dad to thrown in my Leon in while I was away for work for 4 new tyres as I decided I would finally have a car where the front and backs matched and also to get a 4 wheel alignment as to make the most of the new tyres as I was asking for decent ones. This resulted in the car getting 4 new 18" Yokohamas and the alignment. Now the car is lowered but nothing drastic, about an inch gap above each wheel so had asked dad if they'd had any problems in regards to its ride height, and he relayed back to me that no issues just that camber obviously was still going to be out a bit due to no adjustability at the front. And that Kerrs had said come back in a few weeks to get it checked again as it was quite a bit out.

That was all good and the car drove much better, but after just over a week of say about 1000 miles commuting, the inner half was already starting to look worn, so alarm bells started ringing.
As requested I took it back to Kerrs to get it check the day after I noticed this and mentioned it was starting to look bald in the front inners to Noel. So car went up on the ramp and they said no all was still good, just a little bit of nipping up. Asked about the wear again and was told it will be a bit quicker due to the negative camber at the front.

So felt reassured that the alignment was now 100% as I've been a trusting Kerrs customer for a few years and had nothing but positive words in regards to them. However a week on from that alignment check noticed the tyres were now completely bald from half ways cross to the inner edge with the tell tale feathering meaning it's toeing.
Enough was enough and popped into a local garage to find out I had was toeing out by a degree. He also confirmed that there was no worn control arm bushes, bent shocks etc that would lead to the alignment being off again.

Need less to say I'm disappointed in Kerrs, two alignments essentially and it took a local garage with some old equipment to actually get the alignment right. And now I have to replace the front tyres, which weren't cheap, after less than 2k miles on them. Bit of a joke really.
I wasn't going to say anything about the matter and just move on, along with stopping using and recommending them but after seeing the thread I thought it might be worth speaking up as it seems I'm not the only one who has been let down

Simon83

RMS Regular
greyfloppyhat I had the exact same thing happen to me last summer in the Ards branch.I got 2 Hankook fitted to the front of our Jetta and alignment checked. 10 weeks and 1800 miles the inside of both tyres were completely bald and the alignment out by 16mm. When I asked how this could happen so quickly I was palmed off and told that he knew the roads down the peninsula were full of pot holes. I had the alignment redone and a set of Bridgestones fitted and they have been fine.
On the positive side my wife's Ibiza always pulled slightly to the left from the day it was new. Over the years I took it to quite a few different garages to get the alignment checked and stop the car pulling to the left. After seeing on here that Kerrs had a branch in Ards I left the car in for the alignment check and they were able to stop the car pulling to the left for the first time since it was new.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
greyfloppyhat I had the exact same thing happen to me last summer in the Ards branch.I got 2 Hankook fitted to the front of our Jetta and alignment checked. 10 weeks and 1800 miles the inside of both tyres were completely bald and the alignment out by 16mm. When I asked how this could happen so quickly I was palmed off and told that he knew the roads down the peninsula were full of pot holes. I had the alignment redone and a set of Bridgestones fitted and they have been fine.
On the positive side my wife's Ibiza always pulled slightly to the left from the day it was new. Over the years I took it to quite a few different garages to get the alignment checked and stop the car pulling to the left. After seeing on here that Kerrs had a branch in Ards I left the car in for the alignment check and they were able to stop the car pulling to the left for the first time since it was new.

Still don't find it acceptable that a place should be so hit and miss with alignments. These guys have some of most up to date alignment tools and it took a guy using one of the most old school tools I've seen to get it right in the end.

Poor show Kerrs

KERR'S TYRES

RMS Regular
This doesn't surprise me, I've had a bad experience with Kerrs recently that's left me feeling even embarrassed I recommended them so highly and would send my family members there.
First off all have to say that Noel is great down at the Ards branch, but these guys are in my opinion becoming a victim of their own success and starting to rush jobs and making mistakes.

So I had asked my dad to thrown in my Leon in while I was away for work for 4 new tyres as I decided I would finally have a car where the front and backs matched and also to get a 4 wheel alignment as to make the most of the new tyres as I was asking for decent ones. This resulted in the car getting 4 new 18" Yokohamas and the alignment. Now the car is lowered but nothing drastic, about an inch gap above each wheel so had asked dad if they'd had any problems in regards to its ride height, and he relayed back to me that no issues just that camber obviously was still going to be out a bit due to no adjustability at the front. And that Kerrs had said come back in a few weeks to get it checked again as it was quite a bit out.

That was all good and the car drove much better, but after just over a week of say about 1000 miles commuting, the inner half was already starting to look worn, so alarm bells started ringing.
As requested I took it back to Kerrs to get it check the day after I noticed this and mentioned it was starting to look bald in the front inners to Noel. So car went up on the ramp and they said no all was still good, just a little bit of nipping up. Asked about the wear again and was told it will be a bit quicker due to the negative camber at the front.

So felt reassured that the alignment was now 100% as I've been a trusting Kerrs customer for a few years and had nothing but positive words in regards to them. However a week on from that alignment check noticed the tyres were now completely bald from half ways cross to the inner edge with the tell tale feathering meaning it's toeing.
Enough was enough and popped into a local garage to find out I had was toeing out by a degree. He also confirmed that there was no worn control arm bushes, bent shocks etc that would lead to the alignment being off again.

Need less to say I'm disappointed in Kerrs, two alignments essentially and it took a local garage with some old equipment to actually get the alignment right. And now I have to replace the front tyres, which weren't cheap, after less than 2k miles on them. Bit of a joke really.
I wasn't going to say anything about the matter and just move on, along with stopping using and recommending them but after seeing the thread I thought it might be worth speaking up as it seems I'm not the only one who has been let down

Hi greyfloppyhat,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with us.
I hear that you returned to our Newtownards centre and we have replaced the tyres and realigned the wheels free of charge.
I hope everything has been sorted to your satisfaction and please feel free to contact Norman on his personal mobile if you have any other issues 07766 417999.

Kind Regards
Jeff McKee

Last edited by a moderator:

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Hi greyfloppyhat,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with us.
I hear that you returned to our Newtownards centre and we have replaced the tyres and realigned the wheels free of charge.
I hope everything has been sorted to your satisfaction and please feel free to contact Norman on his personal mobile if you have any other issues 07766 417999.

Kind Regards
Jeff McKee

Apologies, I've been meaning to update this since going down to the Ard's branch last week but have just not found the time to sit and type the whole experience out.

After posting my issues previously here, I was contacted by Neil Kirkpatrick from Kerrs. Really really nice guy and incredibly helpful, couldn't apologize enough and without even a second thought extended me the offer to come down to the Ard's branch when convenient and he would personally meet me there to check the car over, just to double check there was nothing else out of whack with the car that may have contributed to the increased tyre wear/alignment being out. He also offered to replace the two worn tyres and get the car re aligned free of charge.

So last week I headed over after work and was greeted by Neil and Noel, straight away got the car on the ramp had checked it over. Nothing was found to be loose or worn, the whole front end was tight so Neil and Noel were more than happy to throw on two new front tyres and get the car aligned free of charge, even though it was closing time at this stage.

Cannot fault the service at all from these guys, had been a big fan of Kerr's over the years and was a bit disheartened after my issue that my trusted place maybe wasn't perhaps as good as I personally rated them, but all faith has been restored after how the situation was handled and I hold Kerr's in even higher regard.

I've to pop back in a few weeks to get the car checked again just to make sure it's still straight (if not then I guess something weird is up with this car), but so far the car is tracking perfectly and the tread on the tyres is still as new.

Cannot thank @Neil Kirkpatrick, Noel and the rest of the guys at the Ard's branch for sorting this. In my eyes they've shown once again why they are one of the best in the business.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
I want an alignment done and this only highlights the issues of trying to get a decent alignment in N.I. I've had similar experience and it just puts you off.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
I want an alignment done and this only highlights the issues of trying to get a decent alignment in N.I. I've had similar experience and it just puts you off.

I doubt any other place would go to the same lengths to resolve the issue and restore you're faith in the as Kerr's did here though. Whatever the reason for the alignment being bad on the first try, you have to hand it to them on how well they made up for it

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.