Audi headlight washer retrofit

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Anyone ever retrofitted headlight washers to an A3, A4 or TT?

I know I'll need nozzles, hose, pump and either modify the existing tank or get a new 1 with pre-drilled hole, but does anyone know exactly what wiring is needed?

Kufatec do a loom, but I read chat of a relay too.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Wiring diagram attached.

The pump has 2 wires coming from it. I believe 1 goes to the control module and the other is a ground.

I'm told a relay is needed too. Any idea where it would be connected?

Nicky?

Attachments

• TT wiring.png
    TT wiring.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 20,357

pablo

RMS Moderator
looks like a relay but only two connections on it which is wierd. A relay needs 4 connections really. Maybe just a bad pic. says a relay is included but they are only a couple of quid to buy anyway.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
All the wiring parts are cheap enough from Audi to buy and make your own loom, just wondered if that was what the final product should look like.

I admit I'm out of my depth here and this is probably basic stuff, but am interested to learn about it and possibly have a go myself. Certainly the pump wiring looks easy enough, its just knowing where the relay is connected in and how exactly it works in relation tot he whole thing.

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
This may be a daft question, but is there actually any need for headlight washers on any car?!

Most of us on here would clean our cars once every week or two, so dirt doesnt get much chance to lie on the headlights surely...

I can see the need if your doing loads of driving at night in a car which gets regularly washed but is there much need for a TT?!

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
johna3 yeh for mot now, evos have been failed for reasons like this.... the joys
Only for cars fitted with xenon headlights surely?

I can see the issue with jap stuff not coming with washers fitted but I'd imagine Lyons TT would come with washers from the factory if fitted with xenons?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Are you putting Xenons in? Or do you just want washers?

I got an S-Line bumper which has the hose and jets still attached to it. So thought it would be a nice little mod to be able to get them working on the car. I only need a pump (£20) then to get the wiring sorted.

Not sure about xenons. I was trying to determine whether the no LED DRL units are just plug and play (along with the ballasts). I know to fir the facelift lights you need a new headlight switch etc and its a total balls. If the ordinary xenons require the same, I'm not interested.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Only for cars fitted with xenon headlights surely?

I can see the issue with jap stuff not coming with washers fitted but I'd imagine Lyons TT would come with washers from the factory if fitted with xenons?

It did, yes. I'm only doing this as a wee OEM retrofit, not necessary at all!

pablo

RMS Moderator
if you arent doing HIDs Id leave them disconnected they are a feckin curse. do damn all and end up streaking the crap out of your bonnet

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
My car gets washed about twice a year, so not bothered about streaks.

Would be nice to have them working just.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Second hand, but unmarked. Came with fogs, fog grills and main grill.

It's the S-Line though, not Black Edition, so skirts are the same. Though he sent me them too as he upgraded, but I don't need them.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Lyons - This is the wiring for a relay. It's just as straight forward as it looks.

relaywire.jpg

Pin 86 on that diagram is for a power switch, which could be your ignition, your headlights (if wiring in spot lights that come on with full beam), stereo (to turn amp's on and off with the headunits power) etc etc.

For your application, you would simply connect Pin 86 to the power wire from your existing washer pumps and that will act as the switch to turn your new pump on as the relay will "open" when power is sent down that wire. It's only a very small extra load on the existing wiring as opposed to just doubling up the pumps on the standard wiring which could blow fuses and lead to other small problems.

I would make sure you fit a non return valve such as this to save the water running away from your new jets, if there isn't already 1 in the current piping on the new bumper.

I have numerous relays here, with the plugs and tails of wiring attached to make fitting easy, if you want 1. I'm not 100% sure if the pin numbers are identical to those above, but I will label them for you to save any hassle.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
looks like a relay but only two connections on it which is wierd. A relay needs 4 connections really. Maybe just a bad pic. says a relay is included but they are only a couple of quid to buy anyway.

There are 3 terminated terminals at the relay itself, the 4th is on the loom on the left and not yet inserted into the relay holder.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Where's the 3rd Stevie?

Yellow/black = 1
Black/yellow connected to two terminals = 2 + 3
reddish wire not connected = 4

2+3 will both be 12v to power the relay and supply power to the pump, hence it's linked to two terminals.
1 would just need to ground to energise the relay via a switch

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.