Bang And Olufsen - Audi

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Bit of a technical question here for anyone in the know. I'll try to keep it as short as I can.....

Story goes, I have ordered an A5 SB Multi-tronic, due in at the end of April, but have now been told it will be more like August before it arrives. Too long to wait for me. So I have spoke to the dealer on the phone to see what he has of a similar spec coming in new.

At a glance on his system he has a few cars which tick most of the boxes but none have B&O. Which leaves me in a predicament, as I have B&O in my current car (A4) I want it or similar again. So I rang a local car audio company to see what they could do for me. The company in question tells me that they recently kitted out a new S4, removing the B&O equpiment and replacing it with high end stuff, they held onto the B&O speakers in their store. A few weeks later they had a Q7 in for a system, upon removing the "standard" speakers they found that they were exactly the same as the "B&O"..........They have since told me that the only difference they could find were that extra Amp's were used in the B&O system. Now they have said that the standard Audi speaker set up is good for a factory system and that for the money which Audi want to fit the B&O (£535+VAT) all he could do for me is fit an amp. The problem is that the B&O must be fitted at factory, and cannot be done in the dealers.

Which leads to my question;

Does anyone know if the B&O speakers in Audi (or any other marque) are acutally just standard speakers with extra amplifiers?

If they are, then I will simply get an amp to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance!

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
I would have thought that the B&O kit would have included speakers as well.

If it were my car I would order the standard audio system and take the £550 and to an audio company and have something decent fitted

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
The A8's Get A Different Sound System With The B+O Option (Speakers That Rise Out Of The Dash, Extra Subs In Doors AFAIK), No Clue On The A4 Though...

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Apparently £550 doesn't get too much nowadays, especially when there are a minimum of 8 speakers, it would however cover a half decent amp.

The A4 has a similar set up from what I believe to the A8 bar the rising speakers.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
My A5 had B&O and they had bang & olufsen printed on the side of them. I noticed a difference between mine and the S4 they lent me which didnt have it.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I drove an A5 with it fitted and an A4 without it and while there was a difference it wasn't a big enough one for me to pay extra for it, I would rather put the money into another option.

s3_trev

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 8P
While I realise this doesnt answer your question, I will just say that if you are serious about your audio, just forget about B&0 / Bose / whatever other cheap gimmick, altogether. I would recommend investing in an after market set up, such as JL Audio for example. The difference is like night and day.

Getting onto your question I have reason to believe that local audio company are correct. As far as Im aware the only difference in the standard set up in my car, compared to the BOSE option, is that with the BOSE the front speakers are amplified - meaning I would have an extra amp if I had BOSE - similar to your own situation. I also realise you are working with B&O, not BOSE, but it could be the same idea as our cars are both Audi.

But yeah, give serious thought to just spending the extra dough and getting a proper sound upgrade (y)

ps, I would spend the extra dough and upgrade all the speakers, rather than just buying an extra amp for the speakers that arnt powered already. This obviously is your choice though.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
@Lappintyre @Chris100 @gcon45 do any of you know how to tell if an A5 has B&O or not? Is it as simple as those with will have a metal ring on the door speakers? Or does said ring not signfy B&O?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
@Lyons In my car it clearly says bang & olfenson on a polished ring which goes around the edge of each speaker.

It's without doubt the best OEM system I have had in a car, the sound quality is very good.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Thanks Chris. I've seen loads of A5's with that ring inthe photos but no mention of B&O in the ad, so just assumed that it didnt have it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Afraid not. Just trying to widen my choices as I'm losing the will to live waiting for an A8.

In talks with a chap about an A8 at the minute but he's not budging as much as I want and I'm beginning to get stubborn over the height of it!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Afraid not. Just trying to widen my choices as I'm losing the will to live waiting for an A8.

In talks with a chap about an A8 at the minute but he's not budging as much as I want and I'm beginning to get stubborn over the height of it!

Don't miss a good car for the sake of a few hundred quid mate.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
@Lyons In my car it clearly says bang & olfenson on a polished ring which goes around the edge of each speaker.

It's without doubt the best OEM system I have had in a car, the sound quality is very good.

Gutted, I'm redundant!!

I must say that many manufacturers are taking audio seriously these days. I sat in a Disco a year ago and the Meridian system blew my mind. I think it's time to change my name to Carwires.....

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Thanks Chris. I've seen loads of A5's with that ring inthe photos but no mention of B&O in the ad, so just assumed that it didnt have it.

No worries @Lyons in my opinion it's an option worth holding out for as the expense of retro fitting it would be scary

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I've sat in an A4 with and without and to be honest there was a subtle difference but not worth losing a car over. Think of it as a nice bonus if it has it rather than a deal breaker if it doesn't.

Darren91

RMS Regular
If you all think the A4 version is good, try the £6k option in the A6 upwards :grinning:

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne

I second that, I've the B+O in the A4 and the sound is the best I've ever heard in a car (OEM). It's something I really value in the car.

We've a new S4 without B+O and the difference is very noticeable.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.