Best Fireblade

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Officially qualified motorcyclist 2 years come the 22nd of this month and once I'm finished with home improvements I might go for a fireblade at some point next year.

Question is, which year?

I've only ever ridden an RR7 which was the last (I think) of the under seat exhaust. Loved it but have no point of reference to compare it with others.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Was in a similar position about 4 years ago. Had the money to spend on a new 09 1000RR, or buy the previous model and spend the rest on it. What made me go for the RR6 (same as the RR7 bar colours) was simply down to size, riding position, geometry of the bike etc. For me, the current breed of 1000RR is very complact for the gentlemen over 6ft. I'm not saying you'll be disappointed (the 08-current bikes is a great bike) it just didn't 'feel' right for me.

As for the best 'Blade, the 954 is probably the best value for money and possibly the best all-round road bike. The RR4/5 was the first of the focussed race bikes, was then upgraded to the RR6/7 with subtle, but effective chassis and engine upgrades. The RR8 to present are all but the same bikes (excluding the 1000RR SP).

My advice is go ride them all. Don't be sucked into the BHP figures, no-one really cares. Get the one that you're comfortable to ride and within budget then spend the rest on fuel.

Johnboy1984

RMS Regular
Drives
2004 e46 m3
Was in a similar position about 4 years ago. Had the money to spend on a new 09 1000RR, or buy the previous model and spend the rest on it. What made me go for the RR6 (same as the RR7 bar colours) was simply down to size, riding position, geometry of the bike etc. For me, the current breed of 1000RR is very complact for the gentlemen over 6ft. I'm not saying you'll be disappointed (the 08-current bikes is a great bike) it just didn't 'feel' right for me.

As for the best 'Blade, the 954 is probably the best value for money and possibly the best all-round road bike. The RR4/5 was the first of the focussed race bikes, was then upgraded to the RR6/7 with subtle, but effective chassis and engine upgrades. The RR8 to present are all but the same bikes (excluding the 1000RR SP).

My advice is go ride them all. Don't be sucked into the BHP figures, no-one really cares. Get the one that you're comfortable to ride and within budget then spend the rest on fuel.
I have a 954 and it's a great bike..... Fast enough and comfortable... Compared to most of the newer bikes which are very arse up, head down... The older blades are a bit more upright :grinning:

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
On owning a 04 blade i found being 5,8 i was streaching over the tank alot putting alot of weight on my wrists. Was and enjoyable bike but felt like i dinosaur conpared to my 2010.
It for my size it more comfortable with a more up and over the tank feel and being compact it is very stable. Also with a 190/55 rear it is very flicky in corner which i really like. Mine has a pc5 so its got a bit more oomph to it and it may or may not be very easy to lift the front wheel..... in 3rd... at perhaps over a ton (apparently)
In the end its up to your choice and budget. Also the newer 2013s new suspension tweaks are supposed to make it even better..... ill just leave this here lol
20120816_112010.jpg

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
It looks like it's wrapped in white tape / tieback type thing to stop it rolling.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Thanks for the replies lads.

It'll be a good bit down the line next year so I'll get a good look around.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
If you're near/around Belfast and it's not too wet/cold you're welcome to take a run about on mine to get a feel for one if you like.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
Yea there shorty levers. They also flick straight up so apparently there unbreakable.vim not complaining i bought the bike with all the nice stuff on it lol

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
What was the '00 > '01 CBR 929 'Blade like? I've provisionally bought one for spares but it looks too good to brake so I was toying with putting it back on the road for a while..

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
:rolleyes: Helpful...

Yes it is.....................I have ridden a lot of bikes, have owned a 954 blade back in 2002, rode a 2010 Blade..............bit dull.............bought a 2010 GSXR1000 last year, metal bike and 3 of my mates agree, one of them owns an old blade and one owns the 2010 blade(y)

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Different strokes for different folks.

Have ridden a few gixxers and they're not for me.