Best places for alignment

av4625

RMS Member
I have a car I use for sprints and was looking for somewhere that is good and would spend the time to do the alignment correctly. If they do corner weighting as well that would be a bonus.

I contacted burrows in Dungannon and his response was that he doesn't quote for alignment and basically it costs what it costs. I don't have endless money so didn't go there.

I tried blackline and they are £120, a bit pricey maybe but I was hoping that a dedicated performance place would take the time to do it properly. I give my settings in a message to them and they were very quick to respond to messages before I got there.
Once I collected the car and got home and looked at the print out, they didn't set the rear toe close to my specs at all. Everything else was close enough or spot on. I asked if there was an issue with rear toe, no reply. I got under the car and there is plenty of adjustment left to get to my specs and it looks like the bolts hadn't been touched at all in the RTAB bracket. I showed them a picture of the RTAB bracket and no response again. Quite disappointing after £120 and wanting it right for this seasons sprints.

Anywhere else people recommend?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Take it back? 🤷‍♂️

They are site sponsors and very helpful on here so I imagine they would sort it

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
based on what he's written, I can understand why he'd want to go elsewhere.
Yeah but why pay elsewhere if the original place you've already paid could maybe sort it? Probably worth a phone call or visit.

I've a vested interest here as I need an alignment done myself so want to see if it gets sorted!

av4625

RMS Member
OP
av4625
I will give them until EOD tomorrow to reply incase the guy that did it is off or something today but would still be nice to let me know of something like that.

I should have said, all messages they haven’t replied to have been read pretty much instantly. Before I took the car there they answered any questions quickly. They also seemed nice enough when I was there. I found it handy they had a whatsapp business account for booking in and questions which resulted in quick communication.

If the car was taxed and MOT’ed I’d just call down, but my dad has to bring a trailer 75 miles to me then 25 miles to them and then the same on the way back 🙈

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
I will give them until EOD tomorrow to reply incase the guy that did it is off or something today but would still be nice to let me know of something like that.

I should have said, all messages they haven’t replied to have been read pretty much instantly. Before I took the car there they answered any questions quickly. They also seemed nice enough when I was there. I found it handy they had a whatsapp business account for booking in and questions which resulted in quick communication.

If the car was taxed and MOT’ed I’d just call down, but my dad has to bring a trailer 75 miles to me then 25 miles to them and then the same on the way back 🙈
Good reason for not just nipping round in fairness 😅

av4625

RMS Member
OP
av4625
Good reason for not just nipping round in fairness 😅
Ha! Yea. He went to them and back twice yesterday to leave the car off and then collect it.

250 miles with a trailer for a wheel alignment 😂

RCT

RMS Regular
To be honest I think you’ll struggle to get anyone to do a full setup and corner weights for £120.

The time & skill it takes to setup a car correctly is going to be a lot more than that, so I can understand Ali Burrows response. I’ve set my own cars up along with other race engineers over the years and learnt it myself and I wouldn’t do it for £120.

I’d say you’ll get someone competent to do alignment for that, but not setting ride height and corner weights. The corner weights aren’t as relevant in a fast road car, but more critical on travel/race cars imo.

You could try JB tyres.

What type of car is it that you’re for sprinting, open or closed wheel? Tyre type, radial or cross ply? You could make your own setup with bars and heavy fish/wire/weights as that’s how my formula ford is done.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
I was recommended Dundalk Alignment Center by the tyre guy I've been going to. He couldn't get my car on his own ramps due to how low my car is, but gave them a great recommendation.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@RCT Same here, use string lines on axle stands and measure from them. Obviously setting all the camber, castor first and then on to alignment, haven't bothered with corner weights as I do swap out shock and spring units or add strut top spacers for different events. Targas can be mostly tar or in some cases, full gravel setup. Autotests need a low, stiff car for example.
I used to do a lot of FF setup years, no decades, ago. Used to enjoy it a lot but an mx5 isn't really in the same league lol.

av4625

RMS Member
OP
av4625
To be honest I think you’ll struggle to get anyone to do a full setup and corner weights for £120.

The time & skill it takes to setup a car correctly is going to be a lot more than that, so I can understand Ali Burrows response. I’ve set my own cars up along with other race engineers over the years and learnt it myself and I wouldn’t do it for £120.

I’d say you’ll get someone competent to do alignment for that, but not setting ride height and corner weights. The corner weights aren’t as relevant in a fast road car, but more critical on travel/race cars imo.

You could try JB tyres.

What type of car is it that you’re for sprinting, open or closed wheel? Tyre type, radial or cross ply? You could make your own setup with bars and heavy fish/wire/weights as that’s how my formula ford is done.
I should have made it clear that blackline don't do corner weighting, so it was £120 for an alignment. I didn't mind £120 if it was done accurately to my specs

Its an E46 M3 on R888R's.

I have been looking up hub stands and string kits as I do all the other work to the car myself and would love to be able to align it myself. Setups defo aren't cheap though!

Last edited:

av4625

RMS Member
OP
av4625
Just an update.

They finally replied! 😊

He said he put the wrong numbers in the machine, thats cool, these things can happen, I was just annoyed at being ignored earlier. He said he can sort it again for me and is happy to wait to March when the car will be taxed and MOT'ed for sprints anyway, so no need for a trailer.

RCT

RMS Regular
I should have made it clear that blackline don't do corner weighting, so it was £120 for an alignment. I didn't mind £120 if it was done accurately to my specs

Its an E46 M3 on R888R's.

I have been looking up hub stands and string kits as I do all the other work to the car myself and would love to be able to align it myself. Setups defo aren't cheap though!
It’s certainly worth learning yourself! I’m sure there are some local race teams that you could approach and on weekends you’re not racing/sprinting that might be needing additional help/man on the spanner’s that’s trustworthy.

It’s there you can learn/watch/help in how the cars are setup on the flat patch etc Probably better going to the circuit racing for that, Mondello, Bishopscourt, Kirkistown etc.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
It’s certainly worth learning yourself! I’m sure there are some local race teams that you could approach and on weekends you’re not racing/sprinting that might be needing additional help/man on the spanner’s that’s trustworthy.

It’s there you can learn/watch/help in how the cars are setup on the flat patch etc Probably better going to the circuit racing for that, Mondello, Bishopscourt, Kirkistown etc.
Railway Autospares or Street Racer have all built and raced
M3's. Both would be more than capable of doing a suitable alignment.

This is definitely a job for a man with string and racing experience, rather than a computer.

I remember getting alignment done by a former WRC head mechanic on a very low car. It was about £120 and string was used, took him about three hours. Sadly he's no longer with us.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Good to see you're getting sorted but how long was it between messaging them and making this thread if it was only done yesterday?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I need the Swift done again but don’t roll in motorsport circles or know any men in sheds with string. I guess also not much point going mad on a hatch back anyway.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
All i ever use is string and axle stands. Father in law taught me (he has rallied/autotested all his days)

Ive previously had alignments done via computer/laser only to drive down the road and the car be pulling badly or steering wheel to be off centre

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I also do my own alignment with string, axle stands and a steel rule - takes a bit of time to get it set up, centered etc but once you have done it a time or two it's straightforward. It can be slow going but it's accurate and you can set it to whatever you want yourself.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Sorry to ask but anyone knows a place who does it all??? Corner weight, including lowering coilovers, alignment toe etc based on specs I have unless they have something better and not just “whatever is in the computer?”

I’m in Portadown and was told ; no you have custom suspension we aren’t touching that

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Steven Gault and Alan Roddy as @chrisd1 mentioned will do corner weighting and alignment, both heavily involved in motorsport and I've used them for alignment before (and Steven just built my new race engine). Great pair of guys who know what they're at! They're definitely not the type to just go by the computer, when I got the alignment and camber done I didn't give specs either though, I let them decide what they felt would be best for the track based on experience. You'll get more info here - Steven Gault Engines | SG Performance | Ballymoney

ELS123

RMS Regular
Anyone recommend somewhere for a normal alignment , nothing fancy etc. was thinking Kerrs?