BMW 3.0d Service Intervals

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
whats the point in all the dealer stuff then 2 filters from euro?lol

should have just got it all in euro and saved yourself a few quid? its not like the dealer is going to stamp the book after you service it yourself lol

warranty on oil and a filter?lol have you been on the drink?lol

lol

Oil and filter was about the same price as Euros anyway

Dont even have a book now it dissappeared last time it was serviced but Ive a load of past service invoices to keep track :laughing:

dddrrift

RMS Regular
£135 for all that from euro, all mann filters and 8 litres of castrol edge 0w-30 oil

vortex breather on ebay is £25

your welcome....
and the euro discount code is JANSALE incase you didnt spot it ;)

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
When I bought my e60 530d last year (06) , I bought air filter and fuel filter from Euro , then 2 stats and crank case breather from dealer.

Also did the swirl flaps. I think on some items it's better to go to the dealer, rather than buying twice.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
When I bought my e60 530d last year (06) , I bought air filter and fuel filter from Euro , then 2 stats and crank case breather from dealer.

Also did the swirl flaps. I think on some items it's better to go to the dealer, rather than buying twice.

Vaico vortex crank case breathers are the best you'll buy which can be got from eBay, Amazon, any local auto factor, ECP...

BMW don't make filters, so good branded items like Bosch or Mahle from ECP our you local auto factor will be more than acceptable.

Again, BMW don't make oil, so Castrol, Millers etc would all be suitable, although it's Castrol that's specifically recommended for BMW's.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Everything bought now but at least I have a bit more info for next time ... simple oil service next time so Im hoping to do that myself in another 10k :party:

@Nicky @dddrrift how often should the crankcase breather be replaced? Every 20k with the air filter?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Everything bought now but at least I have a bit more info for next time ... simple oil service next time so Im hoping to do that myself in another 10k :party:

@Nicky @dddrrift how often should the crankcase breather be replaced? Every 20k with the air filter?

Do your oil and filter in 5k miles. It's a whole lot cheaper than a turbo or an engine.

Vortex breathers are good for the life of the engine, though I'd still recommend removing it and spraying it with brake cleaner just to keep it free of any residue. Make sure it has dried out well prior to fitting though. Worth doing for the sake of 4 wee bolts.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Do your oil and filter in 5k miles. It's a whole lot cheaper than a turbo or an engine.

Vortex breathers are good for the life of the engine, though I'd still recommend removing it and spraying it with brake cleaner just to keep it free of any residue. Make sure it has dried out well prior to fitting though. Worth doing for the sake of 4 wee bolts.

Oil service EVERY 5k? Even with decent long life oil?

I havent looked but to get to the breather do you not need to strip a lot of bits? Or is that just to get to the air filter ... which you then do the breather at the same time because its right there?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Or you could go to your local motor factors and save another 25-30% or more over ECP, as ECP is usually a rip.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Or you could go to your local motor factors and save another 25-30% or more over ECP, as ECP is usually a rip.

Dont start me, theres times (Mainly service/repair time and when sitting in traffic) that I consider getting a bicycle and be done with it lol

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever

I havent looked but to get to the breather do you not need to strip a lot of bits? Or is that just to get to the air filter ... which you then do the breather at the same time because its right there?

If you service every 5k you don't need to use long life oil, can use a decent brand 10w40 semi synthetic and it'll be fine. Done it in my last few diesels and I've never had any problems.

Long life service schemes are the work of the devil. The are the root cause of many people's turbo issues etc.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

Wouldn't entertain "long life oil" in any engine.

You could near service a car with the oil that comes out of my motors, as I change it regularly which keeps the engine clean and free from carbon deposits, the deposits which accumulate and are like cutting paste as they get pumped around the engine and are the reason behind 95% of turbo failures on modern diesel engines...

Oil and filter at £25-40 depending on brand and quantity twice a year which takes 20 mins to do VS turbo replacement at £500+ and puts the car off the road for a while...?

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
What would you put into a e60 530d 06 ? Im prob due an oil filter. Was looking on opeioils and see castrol 8ltrs + filter for 51? i think it was fully sync 5-40

Wouldn't entertain "long life oil" in any engine.

You could near service a car with the oil that comes out of my motors, as I change it regularly which keeps the engine clean and free from carbon deposits, the deposits which accumulate and are like cutting paste as they get pumped around the engine and are the reason behind 95% of turbo failures on modern diesel engines...

Oil and filter at £25-40 depending on brand and quantity twice a year which takes 20 mins to do VS turbo replacement at £500+ and puts the car off the road for a while...?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

IMG_0704.JPG

Once you've the ridiculous amount of plastic covers out of the engine bay to get at the air filter, you'll see the crankcase breather winking at you. It's held in with 4nr 5mm Allan key bolts, and once they're undone you simply lift it straight out. The 2nr rubber gaskets may come with the breather when removed, or they may stay in the recesses in the rocker cover. If they remain in place, pull them up out, paying attention to how they sit, and replace with the new gaskets which will be supplied with the new vortex breather.

What would you put into a e60 530d 06 ? Im prob due an oil filter. Was looking on opeioils and see castrol 8ltrs + filter for 51? i think it was fully sync 5-40

Personally, I run Castrol Magnatec 10w40 semi synthetic in all of mine, though it's getting harder to buy locally. This may or may not have a detrimental effect on a DPF filter depending on who you ask, but i wouldn't have 1 of them in a car either, so it's not a concern of mine. I'm yet to see an engine that has been run on fully synthetic oil with over 60k that wasn't filthy and heavily contaminated inside. You could use the oil that I take out of my 530D at 5/6k intervals to service another car and there's 200k miles on it. From what I gather, it's never had a turbo either. Can usually see if a BM has had a turbo at some point in its life with the way the hose clamps sit from new, but never get fitted the same way again, and there's no marks on the turbine housing indicating a rebuilt either.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
View attachment 135894

Once you've the ridiculous amount of plastic covers out of the engine bay to get at the air filter, you'll see the crankcase breather winking at you. It's held in with 4nr 5mm Allan key bolts, and once they're undone you simply lift it straight out. The 2nr rubber gaskets may come with the breather when removed, or they may stay in the recesses in the rocker cover. If they remain in place, pull them up out, paying attention to how they sit, and replace with the new gaskets which will be supplied with the new vortex breather.

Personally, I run Castrol Magnatec 10w40 semi synthetic in all of mine, though it's getting harder to buy locally. This may or may not have a detrimental effect on a DPF filter depending on who you ask, but i wouldn't have 1 of them in a car either, so it's not a concern of mine. I'm yet to see an engine that has been run on fully synthetic oil with over 60k that wasn't filthy and heavily contaminated inside. You could use the oil that I take out of my 530D at 5/6k intervals to service another car and there's 200k miles on it. From what I gather, it's never had a turbo either. Can usually see if a BM has had a turbo at some point in its life with the way the hose clamps sit from new, but never get fitted the same way again, and there's no marks on the turbine housing indicating a rebuilt either.

1. Does this have any effect on the turbo or boost?

2. Do you rate the engine carbon clean services?

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Will look into the oil. DPF not something i need to worry about..

View attachment 135894

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
1. Does this have any effect on the turbo or boost?

2. Do you rate the engine carbon clean services?

If the CCB is blocked, it will cause a build up of pressure in the crankcase. If this happens, the oil from the turbo can not naturally return to the sump as it is met with pressure in the oil return pipe which will cause the oil to find an alternative route which is usually out of the turbine side of the turbo. This blocked breather alone is a massive contributor to the huge number of failed BMW turbos.

I don't rate the carbon clean systems for diesel BM's at all from personal experience, though some would argue otherwise. I'd sooner remove the inlet and clean the system myself for all it takes, and at least I know that the crap hasn't been through the engine and past the turbo.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
If the CCB is blocked, it will cause a build up of pressure in the crankcase. If this happens, the oil from the turbo can not naturally return to the sump as it is met with pressure in the oil return pipe which will cause the oil to find an alternative route which is usually out of the turbine side of the turbo. This blocked breather alone is a massive contributor to the huge number of failed BMW turbos.

I don't rate the carbon clean systems for diesel BM's at all from personal experience, though some would argue otherwise. I'd sooner remove the inlet and clean the system myself for all it takes, and at least I know that the crap hasn't been through the engine and past the turbo.

Sorry bud, I meant about the hoses being fitted to the turbo differently?

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Guys what sort of time/money are you looking at to replace the camber bolts? Went for wheel alignment on Saturday and told everything was seized ....

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Anyone know the recommended coolant change intervals on an E90 330D?

Planning on getting it done with next service (110k)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.