BMW ecu coding experts e60 530i

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
I have a 2005 BMW E60 530i, M54 auto I'm doing a bit of work to atm. The likes of mot prep, rear subframe bushes, rear brake pipes, surface rust treated on underside were subframe bolts up to and other 'while your there' jobs

Anyway, one of the handbrake cables needed heat but still didn't part from the alloy hub without damage. So today I removed the centre console to unhook the cables and the normal petrol head thought occurred to me...

The diff, cradle, exhaust, heat shields, covers etc are all removed, I'm looking at the auto gear stick ( you probably can tell where this is going now).

Manual Conversion...
I have parts from an old 525i E60 manual I bought a while ago. The pedals, clutch line, flywheel, 6spd gearbox, prop, manual ratio diff, manual engine harness, plug for radiator, top rad hose etc.

The only thing I have little to no knowledge on the ecu / coding side of things. I would imagine using the manual M54 engine harness would help for the reverse lights but can the ECU be programmed/ changed to manual specs?

Any advice/ help (or even reason's advising against or something I'm overlooking) is greatly appreciated.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
All depends on the DDE/DME fitted to the car.

Some had both and others were either manual or auto specific.

Best way would be to remove $205 from the vehicle order then default code the modules that communicate with the gearbox one of the top of my head are kombi, dsc, lma and cas but there maybe more.

If you have a dme capable of being auto and manual then it’s a case of clearing the fault codes on the gearbox and it should be good to go.

If not you’ll need a dme from the manual car.

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
OP
A.M.Q.R.
Drives
Golf GT TSI
Thank you for your advice. is the '$205' the coding in the dme for steptronic?

I'm getting all the bits from the manual car, there seems to be 3 wiring harnesses coming from the dme compartment. Real OEM doesn't state any difference in the coilpack or main harness but the gearbox/rear lambda one is obviously different so might get away with just changing it.

I did see a switch on the master cylinder but I must have a look tomorrow and see if there's a plug taped up not being used in the auto car.

I've this stuff to fit (back) on first and try and find the floor of the garage again😂

Attachments

• IMG_20240323_203149_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240323_203149_HDR.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 0

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Thank you for your advice. is the '$205' the coding in the dme for steptronic?

I'm getting all the bits from the manual car, there seems to be 3 wiring harnesses coming from the dme compartment. Real OEM doesn't state any difference in the coilpack or main harness but the gearbox/rear lambda one is obviously different so might get away with just changing it.

I did see a switch on the master cylinder but I must have a look tomorrow and see if there's a plug taped up not being used in the auto car.

I've this stuff to fit (back) on first and try and find the floor of the garage again😂

It’s the option in the vehicle order for the automatic gearbox. More or less tells the car what to be coded to each module depending on options fitted.

It changes things like starting with clutch rather than brake, cruise control etc